King0ftheGrill

I cleaned my grill and now it leaks

I have a char griller Akorn Komado grill. I love it. Its alwase worked perfectly for me. well the other day I decided it was due for a good cleaning so I took it all apart and scraped out old carbon and grease and so forth. I put it back together and started a small fire in it to make sure all moisture was out. It shot up to 700 degrees so I closed of all the vents to choke it out....But the temperature stayed high and the coals stayed red.  In the past ive done this and it drops down fast and is usualy out within 30 minutes. I'm assuming theres a leak and it's still getting air.  I tightened the top vent and checked the bottom and they seem right.  it still has the gasket around the middle.  what could I be missing?

You already know what's wrong, you just need to find the leak/s.

One thing to try would be to start a few chunks of charcoal, add some wood chips once the coals are hot, then close off the exhaust port and that should force some smoke to leak out where the air is/was leaking in.

I took the top air vent off and cleaned it. I've double checked it twice and it appears to be on there right.  I also took the inner bowl out, and the ash tray. I carefully put it all back together.  my guess is the top vent.  but if I tighten the bolt anymore I cant turn it.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, Chasdev said:

You already know what's wrong, you just need to find the leak/s.

One thing to try would be to start a few chunks of charcoal, add some wood chips once the coals are hot, then close off the exhaust port and that should force some smoke to leak out where the air is/was leaking in.

This is dead on. Use smoke to find leaks.

4 hours ago, King0ftheGrill said:

I took the top air vent off and cleaned it. I've double checked it twice and it appears to be on there right.  I also took the inner bowl out, and the ash tray. I carefully put it all back together.  my guess is the top vent.  but if I tighten the bolt anymore I cant turn it.

Is the ash tray actually hooked or is it being held on by the side clips?

Also, if the grill got up to 700, it's going to take a lonnnnng time for the akorn to cool down from that.  Could be that you don't have a leak...

the ash tray is hooked on so that is sealed up against the bowl.

I've tried it several times.  last night for example I started a small fire. The temp got to about 300 before I closed it all off and about 3 to 4 hours later it still had a 100 degree temp. On top of that it was 50 degrees outside 

so I have a strong steamer that I used to shoot steam thru the top vent...and it comes out pretty strong so NJ I'm assuming that's my problem.  now to figure out how to fix it.  its bolted on  tight, so not sure what to do

Throw a butt on it for a low and slow cook.
All the gunk you cleaned out of it was helping to seal it.
It may take a couple of cooks, but it will tighten up.
It needs re-gunking.

1) Check for smoke leaks as described earlier.

2) Akorn gaskets are great but they're (a) subject to stiffening and (2) held on by tiny little pressure clips and good intentions. Pinch your gaskets all the way around to soften them a bit and look for any points where the little aluminum clips may have popped out of their holes in the body. This happened to me the first time I over-zealously cleaned mine.

3) At 700 you're removing the seasoning from the CI grate and also burning off the grease from the inside of the shell. Try re-seasoning the whole inside with a heavy high-heat cooking spray and/or solid fats. I like to rub down the grate and exposed sections with the hard fat I trim off a brisket once in a while.

4) Cook a bunch of hamburgers for a few days to finish re-seasoning.

These are just suggestions based on what worked for me when I cleaned my Akorn and thought I'd developed leaks.