Scott Roberts

Kamander first low & slow

8 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Can anyone answer this question?

Also, no water.

ensure you find your temp and hold it there for at least 10 minutes before you start cooking.  You want to ensure the temps are completely steady first.  This will also get rid of any thick white smoke.

that seems like a quick cook for a picnic, but remember a fair amount of that weight is bone.  Also, at 187, you could still have a while to go.  Any stall?

On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, Scott Roberts said:

Can anyone answer this question?

I started using an aluminum roasting pan filled with hot water in my Kamander to stabilize temps.  I haven’t used it in a couple months, since I bought a Vision.  I bought some red silicone to seal air leaking around the gaskets too, but I haven’t used it.  I’ll probably sell it soon.  It was my first kamado.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, Scott Roberts said:

This question is for anyone on the forum!!

Scott

Next time it drops a bit don't touch it and just see where it goes.  Also, not sure how long it was burning before you put the pork on but I allow an hour or more to stabilize before putting food on if possible.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

I always view the vents like this... top vents dials it in, bottom vent is to make a change of 15 degrees or more.

The way I play it, once I hit my target temp on a low and slow I keep the lower vent at about an inch or so and only adjust the upper vent. Easier to manage when you are only working with one vent.