pmillen

How Do I Make Fall Off the Bone Ribs?

A 7-year old asked me to make fall off the bone ribs for him.  He'd like them to be just like the ones he had in Montana (maybe not the BBQ cradle).  He wants to use a fork to strip the meat from the bone to eat it.

I told him that they may not have the crunchy outside (bark).  That's okay with him.

I'm thinking that some version of 3-2-1 ribs may produce the result he wants.

What's your suggestion?

Wrapped for 3 should boil them real good but like everything else, it's dependent on everything else (like cook temp for instance and what type of cooker, if you add a water pan and where you measure the temps).

3/2/1 at 250/275 should get to falling off the bone baby backs but with other types, your mileage may vary.

2 hours bare at 275-295, wrap in foil with liquid of your choice (I use red wine but that wouldn’t be good for a 7 year old) like apple juice with squeeze butter, etc. for 1 hour, then out of the foil for 15-20 minutes for saucing if you want sauce. 

Wrapping will certainly help it get there but fall off the bone is simply overcooking a certain degree or at least cooking up to a point and allowing the ribs to get to that state of doneness as the temp continues to rise after pulling off the grill / smoker.

10 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Wrapping will certainly help it get there but fall off the bone is simply overcooking a certain degree or at least cooking up to a point and allowing the ribs to get to that state of doneness as the temp continues to rise after pulling off the grill / smoker.

Respectfully, I think "overcooking" is overstated.  It may be overcooked for you but it obviously isn't for my 7-year old grandson who gets to select his birthday meal (within reason).  Cooking preferences vary.  French Roast coffee is roasted more than I prefer, but a lot of people like it that way.

11 hours ago, fbov said:

I trust you're seeing a pattern...

Yep.  It pretty much matches my conjecture, "I'm thinking that some version of 3-2-1 ribs may produce the result he wants."

I’m serious about the crock pot. My mom used to make them this way when I was a kid. 

Either smoke them first, or just put them in, but they will be 100% fall off the bone.