Sign in to follow this  
Cavman

Eye of Round

I read a lot of hate for the eye of round, and I know my tastes are more simple than most. It was recently driven home with my Fillet Mignons in the Akorn thread.

My love for the eye of round probably stems back to my childhood. Eye of round steaks are the only steaks I prefer fried. Cast iron skillet or flat top grill, my Mother called them breakfast steaks and to this day are my favorite with hashbrown's and toast, (I don't care for eggs). I also like them for steak sandwiches.

I always cut my own from a primal now, pound them slightly with the textured end of a meat hammer, salt and pepper only,, sometimes a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

Am I alone in the world with this. My sister is not the carnivore I am and doesn't like them. Mom never did anything to tenderize or used Worcestershire sauce. Someone else must do something with them, because the sell more than I buy. I smoke the roast once in a while, but prefer them for quick steaks. So far, better than Fillet Mignon, but that is just me.

I've never done them that way before.  I usually use it for beef jerky. I also season it then vacuum sealer it in a bag and sous vide the whole thing.  Let it cool then after a night in the refrigerator I slice it on a meat slicer to make sandwich meat.

I am partial to an eye-of-round as well... also because thats what mom made for us...

of course we had steaks sometimes, but my folks were raising 3 strapping boys in the 70s/80s and dad had just started his company (that he successfully ran for 40 years) so money was tight I am sure... they spent $300+/week on groceries for us

mom would use salt and pepper and a couple onion slices on top and get that excellent cracklin on top...

i don't eat it much anymore since I have found out there are better cuts to be had...

but i certainly wouldnt turn one down...

I'll have to try your recipe, as I like a good steak sammich as well

i miss my mom