Sign in to follow this  
taylola2010

New Vision S Series Owner

I have been waiting over a year for the right deal to come around on a full size kamado style grill. I ended up getting an Akorn when they were on clearance earlier this year and have been playing around with it. My former coworker sent me a text Saturday that this one was the last one in the local home depot store for $299! Jumped in the truck and bought it immediately! Had 2 men help me load it and then called 2 friends to come help me unload it when I got home...lol...its a beast! The Yesterday I took a couple hours to season it around 350-400 and get used to getting the temperature where I wanted it. Then I threw some venison backstrap on for a couple of minutes and wow! Cut through like butter! lol 

I am still trying to decide what route to go with the diffuser....

I bought one of these a while back, but I haven't sat it in there to see if it would work without a bracket of some sort or if it even fits ...

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

From the reviews it looks like some have used it for that? 

I will probably try that before going with the vision lava stone or the spider with ceramic stones to save money. 

15151.jpg

20190203_110432.jpg

Welcome! Very nice grill and an equally great deal. Thats pretty much as low as I have ever seen a Vision. I actually learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C, which is exactly like your grill except for a rounded rather than square ash drawer assembly.  When you need indirect heat for cooking something like a whole spatchcocked chicken, turkey, or a big cut of beef or pork etc. , the  deflector should sit about an inch to 2 inches below your main grate. To accomplish this Vision makes a thin metal rack which fits over the edge of the fire box / ring and holds the deflector down inside the fire box / ring. Using your CI griddle as a deflector would place it in direct contact with your grate. In fact your grate would balance on top of the griddle. You really want more air space than that for indirect cooking. I always thought the Vision deflector rack was pretty flimsy and more expensive than it should be, so I went with a spider from Ceramic Grill store (CGS) at $24.99 plus shipping. The spider does the same thing the Vision rack does but it, IMO. is much stronger and higher quality being made of steel rod like your grate. The other nice thing about a spider is that you can use it legs up or legs down. In the legs down position it will put a pizza stone just below felt level. If you want to cook pizza all you need to do is use some copper elbows as spacers ontop of your deflector stone and then set another stone as a pizza stone above that with and air gap between the two.  The Vision Lava stone will work but, it my experience it does not do a good job on Pizza, bread, etc. I recommend two 3/4 to 5/8 inch thick pizza stones. Ones made of Cordierite work quite well and seem to be quite durable. You can find them at CGS or on Amazon or pretty much anywhere they sell pizza stuff. Again, Welcome, and  that is a nice grill and a great choice. Vision makes a quality grill and backs it up with excellent service. PS. Make sure you call or email Vision and register your grill for warranty purposes. Happy Cooking. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/vision-signature-grill-accessories-by-cgs

If you get a deflector that is too large it will decrease the gap between it's edge and the inside edge of your fire ring and reduce the amount air flow and decrease the  heat that escapes your fire box, possibly causing your fire box to over heat and maybe  crack. Conversely if you get one too small, it won't give you enough coverage for what your cooking. The Vision Lava Stone that is designed for your grill is 14".  I would use that as a general guide for the size that works best in your Vision. My Large BGE is pretty much exactly  the same size and shape as your Vision, and my old one. I have a 13" stone from CGS,  a 13" half stone from CGS, Two 14" BGE stones, and a 14" stone made by Kit Chef, I got off Amazon. I use them all and find they work quite well. I also have a 16" half stone that does not seem to fit well, and I rarely use it as it does not fit down inside my fire ring so good. So, based on my experience, I would say you will get good service from a 13 or 14" stone.  So, why do you need more than one stone? Well outside of my pizza set up I don't really need more than two, but there is a disorder associated with  kamado cooking. (AD or Acquisition Disorder) Most of us have it to one degree or another and it makes money for BBQ goodies just have a mind of it's own, and fly out of your wallet (Nuff Said, if you find yourself drawn to the BBQ aisle in what ever store you find yourself, that's usually  a first symptom. While I am thinking about it, a good tip is to rotate the position of your stones when you cook pizza. I cook pizza with a dome temp of about 600, and that is plenty enough to clean the bottom of my deflector stone to a nice powdery white during a normal pizza cook. Therefore, I always place my dirtiest and most stained stone on the bottom with the worst side facing down during a pizza cook. That way I always have a nice clean fresh stone for my next pizza cook.  Happy Cooking, hope this info helps you :)

@keeperovdeflame Thank you for all the great advice! Well, after seeing your posts about the vision deflector warranty, I went ahead and got the lava stone and bracket from Vision. I figure that by the time the bracket goes bad, maybe I can get Vision to replace it if its still under warranty or by that time I can try out the spider. IF my lava stone is still good by then I can keep using it with the spider. I may get a pizza stone for cooking the actual pizza on up top as well. For now Im just out 50 for the deflector which isnt bad. :) Looking forward to it coming in the mail soon!

That looks and sounds, from the reviews, like a good stone. While the specs don't give the thickness, a guy in one of the reviews said it was 5/8" which, IMO, is perfect. The company info says those stones are  made from the material used to make kiln furniture which probably means cordierite, which is also perfect. I think you will be happier, in the long run, with your plan to get two stones and a spider instead of the Vision Lava Stone. In my experience the lava stone worked fine as a deflector, I used mine for probably around 5 years and while it worked quite well in that capacity,  I was never satisfied with  the way it finished a pizza crust. (can you tell pizza's important in my house) I actually gave my old Vision to the young man who sold me, delivered, and set up my large BGE. He still uses both the Vision and the lava stone, cooking several times a week for a family of 5. Folks in the reviews for your stones talked about washing them and coating them with olive oil, I don't recommend doing either one of those things. Just take em out of the box, set em up, and cook. They have already been fired to 1,2000 degrees and they will ready to go.  When they get dirty, which they most definitely will, like I said, just put the dirtiest side down in the bottom position in you pizza set up. Here is a pic of my pizza set up using the same components you will have. 

IMG_0321.thumb.jpg.45e5e5da13538aceadf8a181e1fa9bcc.jpg

For Pizza, I turn the spider legs down and those little feet sit right on top of your fire ring. I use kiln supports to form an air space between the two stones, but you can use anything that won't burn. Some folks use steel end caps, or copper elbows, they come in a variety of sizes. I use a 1 5/8" gap between the stones. 

This was my bottom stone for a pizza cook last week, now it's clean and ready to go for my next cook Best wishes with your new grill and Happy Cooking. 

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.a34fe98f56c640065d5f9196128ba5bc.jpg