dirty6

Made it to the Last Frontier!

14 hours ago, TexasBlues said:

Thank you...

for your service and sacrifice...

glad that everyone is safe and you are able to cook...

with it being yucky here, I'm going to give your meatball recipe a whirl over my mix of chili... i add beans and my TX roots are DEEP... to me it's not chili w/o beans... only way i've ever eaten it

Did you give that a go? How’d it turn out?

11 hours ago, dirty6 said:

Did you give that a go? How’d it turn out?

no sir, not yet... the plan is for this weekend since its going to be rainy and excrementally yucky outside... will give me and my bride and dogs opportunity to curl up on the couch and do nothing

i will report back afterward...

thanks again!

@dirty6

made the chili and it was quite good... used the CI dutch oven i got a couple years ago and cooked at 280*...

only things i will change next time are the smoke (i used too much hickory... maybe try a different flavor and LESS of it) and add more liquid as the chili got too thick for my liking...

my bride enjoyed it more than i did, but its a keeper!

thanks for the recipe and the write up!

On 2/20/2019 at 11:51 PM, dirty6 said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking (extreme temp), until I blew out a chicken cook and pulled the dome thermometer off the grill to check it...the dang thing was nearly 50 degrees off. Thankfully they are quite easy to calibrate. 

I haven’t resorted to online lump ordering yet. Turns out that Lowe’s has gotten 18lb bags of Cowboy for 16 bucks, so that’ll do as a budget option I think. I also found a random food truck that sells 40 pound bags of Mexican Mesquite (?) lump for 40 bucks and an intriguing small bag of premium-priced Alaska Charcoal Company lump made from alder wood at 15 bucks for a 5 pound bag. I’m going to have to buy at least a bag of that for the novelty. I need to get some caribou or salmon for that cook...Alaskan protein cooked in Alaska on Alaskan charcoal. 

4A341B69-5129-4E77-B2E0-438A0429053C.jpeg

F0F86989-2C12-4298-8AF8-1214AFE6EF39.jpeg

You should see what they have at Fred Meyer. When I lived in Anchorage I used to get my hardwood chunks for my old Smoke Vault from there. I recall them carrying some smaller bags of lump.

I had been buying Cowboy from Lowe's but found Royal oak at Walmart, 16 lbs. 9 cent's cheaper per pound. I also had been finding numerous rocks in the Cowboys, not good. The bad thing about Walmart is they may have it today and not next time you need it. I like Royal Oak and asked manager to keep it in stock. We will see.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:57 AM, TexasBlues said:

@dirty6

made the chili and it was quite good... used the CI dutch oven i got a couple years ago and cooked at 280*...

only things i will change next time are the smoke (i used too much hickory... maybe try a different flavor and LESS of it) and add more liquid as the chili got too thick for my liking...

my bride enjoyed it more than i did, but its a keeper!

thanks for the recipe and the write up!

Super! Glad to hear. 

23 hours ago, Duck9601 said:

You should see what they have at Fred Meyer. When I lived in Anchorage I used to get my hardwood chunks for my old Smoke Vault from there. I recall them carrying some smaller bags of lump.

Thanks! Good suggestion...so far Fred’s doesn’t have any but that might change as they shift gears for not-winter. I’ve found RO recently appear at Wal Mart as well as some generic off brand I’ve never heard of before, so my options are picking up.