John Setzler

The Burn Shop - Custom Grill Grates

I was asking around on another forum about getting a custom grill grate made and was referred to:

The Burn Shop

http://theburnshopwf.com/

I sent him my design idea.... he promptly sent me this proof:

20190206_Grate.jpg

I couldn't shell out the money fast enough.... shortly after that I got an email with this photo:

20190206_Grate2.jpg

3/16" carbon steel...  This is a 21.5" grate that I'm gonna use in my drum smoker... 

Very nice 'MAN CAVE" grate, John. Very cool looking indeed. The lines, angles, and detail seem extremely sharp. That grate will look perfect in that new ugly drum  smoker you are making. I have a custom made carbon steel swing arm grate  from Ceramic grill works (not to be confused with Ceramic Grill Store, CGS) that I use on my BGE. I seasoned it with grape seed oil before I used it, and occasionally there after and have found it holds up extremely well. No rust, ever. 

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I couldn't shell out the money fast enough.... shortly after that I got an email with this photo:

So, the obvious question... Just how much money did you end up shelling out for it?

So why choose a custom made carbon steel grate vs a stainless? I’m probably going to get one, but leaning towards stainless.. I love my carbon steel pan (I don’t even use my cast iron pan anymore), but I sometimes neglect my grill a few days in between use and I’d be afraid the carbon steel grate would rust...

29 minutes ago, Nrm07 said:

So why choose a custom made carbon steel grate vs a stainless? I’m probably going to get one, but leaning towards stainless.. I love my carbon steel pan (I don’t even use my cast iron pan anymore), but I sometimes neglect my grill a few days in between use and I’d be afraid the carbon steel grate would rust...

If you want to pay for stainless, be my guest :)

On 2/9/2019 at 6:35 PM, Beermachine said:

IMG_1615_Fotor.jpg.3de7d4c6117c54706d6c1c8c34c2c7ee.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg.1a049a8a7896fea4bde10fc1c805d4e1.jpg

IMG_1638.JPG.26f2adb7cc5d387c1c12db0425d7ad8a.JPG

This is what I wanted to see, if it would fit on the divide and conquer system.  Looks like the system comes up through the L and the M, correct.  I’m assuming that was done by design.

***actuall, the top pic shows it coming up through the U and the B.

I'm interested to see John's grate while burning also, I think it'll also look fantastic. I think that the turn around time might need to be placed in a little context however so that expectations are realistic. I treated myself to a SS grate for Father's Day as opposed to a full month after Christmas. Keith was quite backed up then and the whole process took... weeks- a few weeks just to get the final markup and approval of the design. My original design was a little too intricate. Also, Keith was not as speedy in returning texts, etc. during that initial period. Anyway, I totally understood and am completely satisfied with his work, courtesy, etc. He told me going in that they were backed up. And a few weeks after Father's Day, when his schedule has cleared somewhat, I experienced essentially the same service described above.

By comparison to @Beermachine's grate, my Big Joe grate also leaves a much smaller gap around the base of the Big Joe and maximizes almost the entire D&C. This may be because of the design specs I sent him, idk. I wanted to minimize that gap.