DanKraft

New from Orlando, FL

Hey everyone. I recently joined this site doing research on Kamado grills. I currently have a Traeger Pro 22 wood pellet grill I really like overall and use near daily. However I don't like its max temperature options or the fact that it requires power to run. Looking to add a kamado cooker of some sort. I've been doing a lot of research on them and came here to try and learn more.

Seems like my best option is the XL Big Green Egg which I've been able to find around $1100. I want something big enough to cook for the family and big enough to accommodate an 18-20 lbs brisket. I also like the Kamado Joe and Primo XL 400, but both seem to be more expensive than the BGE from what I've found online. I do need to go to Costco when the road show for Kamado Joe is there and check out the prices to compare though. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Also if you remember what you paid for a Big Joe at Costco, that would be helpful. 

BGE is a great cooker, the food off all three will taste the same.  

Check out Lowe’s , sometimes they have deals on KJ.  

KJ also has the I, II, and now the III. I will say, the airlift hinge is SO NICE. 

i strongly recommend going to look at, touch, lift the domes, ect...

Also so look at everything you need for the grill, it has been years since I looked hard at BGE, but all the accessories were added onto the base price.  KJ comes with everything you need. 

Also loook at the warranty, as far as I know, KJ is still the only company that ships warranty parts free from the home office.  My local dealer shut down, so I warranties would have problematic otherwise.  

Whichever way you go, welcome to the club. 

I cook on a large BGE and totally love it and the company in general. BGE makes a wonderful grill that cooks like a dream, their customer service is legendary, and their ceramics hold temp like rock. That said, when I have checked out the XL's I found that the hinge does not feel as solid as I would like it to. There seems to be too much lateral  movement on the way up and down.  The hinge on my large is different than the new hinge that comes on the new larges and  XL's so maybe it is just a touch thing, because the truth is thousands of people cook on XL's and love them. The KJ's new hinges seem to have been very solid when I have played with them in Cost Co. I would advise you to find both an XL and a Big Joe and see what you think. As far as the ceramic components go, I think both the KJ and the BGE and also the Primo are of equal excellent quality. Bottom Line, I don't think you make a bad choice among the big three brands, all three are well established and reputable companies that put out quality products with excellent warranties and  customer service, it just comes down to what you like and are attracted to. As Ben said above, they can all cook and there is absolutely  no difference by grill in how your food will taste. Best of luck with you quest. 

2 hours ago, Ben S said:

BGE is a great cooker, the food off all three will taste the same.  

Check out Lowe’s , sometimes they have deals on KJ.  

KJ also has the I, II, and now the III. I will say, the airlift hinge is SO NICE. 

i strongly recommend going to look at, touch, lift the domes, ect...

Also so look at everything you need for the grill, it has been years since I looked hard at BGE, but all the accessories were added onto the base price.  KJ comes with everything you need. 

Also loook at the warranty, as far as I know, KJ is still the only company that ships warranty parts free from the home office.  My local dealer shut down, so I warranties would have problematic otherwise.  

Whichever way you go, welcome to the club. 

Oh I didn't know Lowe's sold them. I'll check there for sure. And it's a good point about the airlift hinge. The last time I saw a KJ in person was before the airlift hinge I think. I recall the lid being on the heavy side. The videos I've seen of the airlift hinge look really cool though. It'll really come down to price. I think the 24" BGE I found had a package where for $1200 you got some necessary accessories. I don't think it's anywhere close to what all comes with a  KJ. 

18 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I cook on a large BGE and totally love it and the company in general. BGE makes a wonderful grill that cooks like a dream, and their customer service is legendary, and their ceramics hold temp like rock. That said, when I have checked out the XL's I found that the hinge does not feel as solid as I would like it to. There seems to be too much lateral  movement on the way up and down.  The hinge on my large is different than the new hinge that comes on the new larges and  XL's so maybe it is just a touch thing, because the truth is thousands of people cook on XL's and love them. The KJ's new hinges seem to have been very solid when I have played with them in Cost Co. I would advise you to find both an XL and a Big Joe and see what you think. As far as the ceramic components go, I think both the KJ and the BGE and also the Primo are of equal excellent quality. Bottom Line, I don't think you make a bad choice among the big three brands, all three are well established and reputable companies that put out quality products with excellent warranties and  customer service, it just comes down to what you like and are attracted to. As Ben said above, they can all cook and there is absolutely  no difference by grill in how your food will taste. Best of luck with you quest. 

That's good to hear about the customer service on the BGE. I have another expensive hobby (mountain biking) and frequently deal with warranty stuff. The customer service makes such a huge difference in the perceived value of the brand. 

Interesting about the hinge. I guess I thought from my reading the new hinge was redesigned and addressed those types of issues. I'll more closely compare the XL and Large hinges and the movement to see the difference. 

Agreed about the build between the 3 big brands. They all seem high quality. It's going to come down to value and customer service for the most part for me. Doesn't seem like there's a wrong move though. 

Thanks for the info guys!

Welcome to the forum! One other point of difference between the BGE and the Kamado Joe is the BGE voids your warranty if you use anything other then BGE products in your grill, Kamado Joe doesn't.

1 hour ago, retfr8flyr said:

Welcome to the forum! One other point of difference between the BGE and the Kamado Joe is the BGE voids your warranty if you use anything other then BGE products in your grill, Kamado Joe doesn't.

Well that would be hard to enforce unless you told them. 

Welcome to the forum! 

Don’t miss out on the opportunity, the road show at the Orlando Costco is now, and gone after this weekend.

https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

It was in Tampa a few weeks back, and they had some good deals, but I’d be guessing at the prices. I stocked up on lump.

2 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I have had a couple of minor issues with my Large Egg, and have called the MotherShip for  BGE customer service, quick adequate response, and never even one question about what components were or are  in the grill. My guess, they are talking about  integral things  like the fire box and fire ring, and not  grates, racks, stones, dutch ovens, pots and pans and stuff like that. Tom the guy who owns CGS and  the maker of a whole  bunch of after market racks and equipment is actually a gold BGE dealer and well respected Egg Head, always present at most EggFests.  Just from personal observation, I would say probably more than 70 to 80% of the folks on the Egg Head forum seem to use AR's, Spiders and stones,  or Woo combinations, along with all manner of pots and pans and cook ware,  never seen a post about a warranty  issue, dealing with it. Just my two cents. 

Welcome to the site, you are in for some good food.  Buy the one you like the most, I do find the Oval great for brisket but it doesn't have airlift.  I have played with them all and they are all nice kookers.