Jump to content

John Setzler

iKamand v2

Recommended Posts

Really can't understand why they aren't selling additional probes or including them with the iKamand. Seems like such a minor task with huge upside to monitor 3 cooks at once as it was advertised and designed to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Woody6868 said:

Really can't understand why they aren't selling additional probes or including them with the iKamand. Seems like such a minor task with huge upside to monitor 3 cooks at once as it was advertised and designed to do...

 

AGREED.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a Kamado Joe Big Joe at Costco yesterday and inquired about the ikamand v2. The Salesman said that they have been taking a lot of heat (no pun intended) for it and that the new software update has fixed the issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, may i suggest my BBQube TempMaster controller. Better technology, better probes, better user interface. I started developing it 4 years ago when I bought my first kamado. iKamand V2 is still a PID controller, which is last century technology with the last century probes. Our algorithms are specifically developed for each type of grill with data collected during a 2 year period of burning. So it's linear with no temperature swings like PID controllers. And you can hook it up to any other grills, even weber kettle or WSM.

 

1032857180.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daz said:

Well, may i suggest my BBQube TempMaster controller. Better technology, better probes, better user interface. I started developing it 4 years ago when I bought my first kamado. iKamand V2 is still a PID controller, which is last century technology with the last century probes. Our algorithms are specifically developed for each type of grill with data collected during a 2 year period of burning. So it's linear with no temperature swings like PID controllers. And you can hook it up to any other grills, even weber kettle or WSM.

 

1032857180.jpg

This is interesting. More info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sell it on my website at https://bbqube.us, along with some other unique accessories I made...for myself! You can also find it on Amazon, just search BBQube TempMaster, 5 stars reviews all the way :) 

I spent a year to make the probes as fast as a steak probe, and 7 design changes for the wire wrap so you can actually wrap the probes back into it. (the red one in the pic). Just to show you the thinking goes behind the whole product. 

KJ contracted an American electronic company in Shenzhen developing their iKamand, spent six figures in R&D and it was fundamentally flawed. because these guys don't do real world BBQ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Daz said:

I sell it on my website at https://bbqube.us, along with some other unique accessories I made...for myself! You can also find it on Amazon, just search BBQube TempMaster, 5 stars reviews all the way :) 

I spent a year to make the probes as fast as a steak probe, and 7 design changes for the wire wrap so you can actually wrap the probes back into it. (the red one in the pic). Just to show you the thinking goes behind the whole product. 

KJ contracted an American electronic company in Shenzhen developing their iKamand, spent six figures in R&D and it was fundamentally flawed. because these guys don't do real world BBQ! 

Looked at your website and Amazon listing. I like it and your compelling arguments for it. I'm a tech guy and can really appreciate the DIY and R+D it took to make this. It sounds like the controller technology, chipset, probes, and algorithm is superior to other items I've looked at.

 

Here are my concerns though:

1. Future development and support - what are your plans?

2. How long has BBQube been around?

3. From what I gather it connects via Bluetooth? So what is the range? I've really been drawn to products that connect to the local WiFi network and upload data to the cloud so you can monitor from anywhere

4. Could this be ran on battery instead of power adapter? 

5. GUI on app looks like it could be updated

7. Warranty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

Looked at your website and Amazon listing. I like it and your compelling arguments for it. I'm a tech guy and can really appreciate the DIY and R+D it took to make this. It sounds like the controller technology, chipset, probes, and algorithm is superior to other items I've looked at.

 

Then you know if I tell you there are two ATMega 328 chipsets in it! You can do so much more with this unit I can control any electronics based on 4 probe inputs. Like hook up a humidity sensor and spray apple cider onto your ribs. That's how I can control a slow-cooker and make it a sous-vide machine.

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

 

Here are my concerns though:

1. Future development and support - what are your plans?

 

We've been actively developing our next product and have attended HPBExpo four years in a roll. We'll be releasing our first stainless steel kamado grill with automatic temperature controls at the National Hardware Show in Vegas in May. Charcoal grills are facing stiff competition from pallets so our OEM control solution can revitalize an old industry.

 

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

2. How long has BBQube been around?

3 years of R & D, then 2nd half last year we started to sell the controller unit, but I own a motorcycle carbon fiber business since 2005.

 

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

3. From what I gather it connects via Bluetooth? So what is the range? I've really been drawn to products that connect to the local WiFi network and upload data to the cloud so you can monitor from anywhere

We did look into wifi option, but decided to wait until the new dual mode (BLE and Wifi) ESP32 chipset is more mature. the problem w/ wifi is you can be standing right next to it and it may not connect. Bluetooth does have a shorter range but less customer frustration because it meats the expectation, if you know what I mean.

and what you talking about requires an IoT server, yea it does give you brag right but I don't see the need of it. This controller is so stable all I need is to set a timer on it. Isn't the whole point of having a controller is that you don't have to look at it again? ;) 

 

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

4. Could this be ran on battery instead of power adapter? 

yes and we make a camper power box for it. It'll run for 20+ hours from a 12V rechargeable battery bank from Amazon.

 

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

5. GUI on app looks like it could be updated

We're working on it. so much on hands right now. More instructional videos, user menu and recipes will added. 

1 hour ago, kpkacts238 said:

7. Warranty?

One year, even the probes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic...

 

I’ve done two frustrating cooks so far with the iKamand V2. I’ll continue to provide updates as software updates roll out (which I believe is the underlying cause of all the current issues).

 

Biggest issue I’ve had is with temperature swings. It’s easy to blame the flap choking off the flame (which it does) when the fan isn’t engaged and then when the fan powers back on it over shoots drastically.

 

The flap is not the real problem. The software is. You see, as you monitor the iKamand V2 you notice the fan never drops below ~44% output before it drops to 0%. This 0-44% is the sweet spot for precision temperature control. More importantly, I’m willing to bet even blowing the fan at 10% would keep that flap open so it doesn’t choke the fire out, and not increase the temperature. If they can dial in more precision fan speeds then I think this can be a win.

 

I really like the more compact design and better aesthetics on this than other temp controllers, so I hope this will work out in the long run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BattleBrisket said:

Back on topic...

 

I’ve done two frustrating cooks so far with the iKamand V2. I’ll continue to provide updates as software updates roll out (which I believe is the underlying cause of all the current issues).

 

Biggest issue I’ve had is with temperature swings. It’s easy to blame the flap choking off the flame (which it does) when the fan isn’t engaged and then when the fan powers back on it over shoots drastically.

 

The flap is not the real problem. The software is. You see, as you monitor the iKamand V2 you notice the fan never drops below ~44% output before it drops to 0%. This 0-44% is the sweet spot for precision temperature control. More importantly, I’m willing to bet even blowing the fan at 10% would keep that flap open so it doesn’t choke the fire out, and not increase the temperature. If they can dial in more precision fan speeds then I think this can be a win.

 

I really like the more compact design and better aesthetics on this than other temp controllers, so I hope this will work out in the long run. 

 

What kind of drastic overshoots have you had?  I do know that the iKamand doesn't provide as flat of a line on the temperature graph as most of the other controllers do but I haven't seen anything that I could call drastic by any measure.  I have had overshoots of 25 degrees or so when I first start the grill.  My iKamand stays within 10 degrees of the set temp without any issues.  

 

That being said, the iKamand's design does not currently lend itself to maintaining a perfectly flat line on the temp graph like some of the others do.  There is room for improvement there.  If you need a controller that is gonna operate at +/- 2 or 3 degrees to do your cooks, you need to ditch the iKamand and get something else.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

 

What kind of drastic overshoots have you had?  I do know that the iKamand doesn't provide as flat of a line on the temperature graph as most of the other controllers do but I haven't seen anything that I could call drastic by any measure.  I have had overshoots of 25 degrees or so when I first start the grill.  My iKamand stays within 10 degrees of the set temp without any issues.  

 

That being said, the iKamand's design does not currently lend itself to maintaining a perfectly flat line on the temp graph like some of the others do.  There is room for improvement there.  If you need a controller that is gonna operate at +/- 2 or 3 degrees to do your cooks, you need to ditch the iKamand and get something else.  

 

 

 

 

Nothing is perfect.  My CyberQ Wifi swing +/- 10 F and will overshoot on start-up and recover over the next hour.  I haven’t ruined any briskets yet.  

 

The high end Traeger Timberline swings +/- 10 F and produces great food.

 

The average home oven swings +/- 20 F unless you buy a Bosch, Wolf or some ridiculous expensive oven.  Those High end ovens are +/- 5 F.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

Nothing is perfect.  My CyberQ Wifi swing +/- 10 F and will overshoot on start-up and recover over the next hour.  I haven’t ruined any briskets yet.  

 

The high end Traeger Timberline swings +/- 10 F and produces great food.

 

The average home oven swings +/- 20 F unless you buy a Bosch, Wolf or some ridiculous expensive oven.  Those High end ovens are +/- 5 F.  

 

I agree that nothing is perfect.  But I have several different temperature control systems and all of them are more perfect than the iKamand.  The iKamand is fully capable of doing it's job but it gets a bad rap because it's not as perfect as these others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

Nothing is perfect.  My CyberQ Wifi swing +/- 10 F and will overshoot on start-up and recover over the next hour.  I haven’t ruined any briskets yet.  

 

The high end Traeger Timberline swings +/- 10 F and produces great food.

 

The average home oven swings +/- 20 F unless you buy a Bosch, Wolf or some ridiculous expensive oven.  Those High end ovens are +/- 5 F.  

All these PID controllers are non-linear so you'll have swings. PID algorithm is adaptive and It takes time to pick up grill parameters. 

In real world of smoking meat 20 degrees swing are all ok. but I just can't settle for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...