John Setzler

iKamand v2

These little jewels are on sell thru tomorrow and I'm seriously considering one.  I do have a couple questions though.  First, my Classic is the older model with the daisy wheel top.  I assume the draft door is the same but wanted to confirm there wouldn't be any fit issues.  Secondly, since installation requires one to remove the 8mm nuts inside the grill, taking it on and off doesn't seem practical.  What does one do if they want to run the grill without the aid of the iKamand? Thanks 

You have a couple of options.  First, you can get the old door off, and the iKamand on without removing the screws.  The iKamand comes with a plate that fills in where the iKamand sits when not in use.  Some folks have melted the filler plate cooking at high temps, which led me to go with my option, which is to install the iKamand slider, and then put the original door back in under the iKamand cover.  Now I can use the original vent for non iKamand cooks and slide it over and mount the iKamand when I want.  It works fine this way, and no melted filler plate (it has teo hi temp plastic inserts in it). 

I melted my filler plate after two uses and then the whole plate wouldn’t stay in place. I may have given up too easy but I wasn’t happy with it. The awesome folks at Atlanta grill gave me a full refund.  From now on it I can’t get it local and they have it, I order from them.  

Have the ikamand issues all been resolved with the most recent firmware update? Really want to purchase one, but unsure between the ikamand and Flameboss 400

4 hours ago, zgoodman said:

Have the ikamand issues all been resolved with the most recent firmware update? Really want to purchase one, but unsure between the ikamand and Flameboss 400

I am wondering the same thing?  From reading this thread, it sounds like the issues are either resolved or not really that big of an issue to begin with.

Also, I have a Classic...does the new Gen 2 iKamand work with these?

thanks!

9 hours ago, zgoodman said:

No, they have not. I am part of Facebook forums and although there is definitely a lot of improvement, there is still a gap from reliability perspective

4 hours ago, dathzo said:

No, they have not. I am part of Facebook forums and although there is definitely a lot of improvement, there is still a gap from reliability perspective

Thank you. I picked up a FB400 but part of me really wants to like the ikamand. Do you think its hardware related with the ikamand or issues that can be fixed with more app and firmware updates?

I bought an iKamand II a few weeks ago, and used it for a turkey breast, and for wings and it worked flawlessly.  Granted it is only two cooks, but it held temperature within +/- 2 degrees and the meat probe in the turkey was spot on with my instant read thermometer.  It did update as soon as I connected to WiFi, and it operated great.

17 hours ago, John Setzler said:

What problems haven't been resolved yet?

As I said, I'm basing my answer on the Facebook ikamand forum. More often than what I would like to, I read posts of units that stop functioning all of a sudden. That's the reliability piece I was referring to. I'm afraid this is more hardware than software related. Software and control issues seem to have been properly addressed

Hello! How are you everyone

i just installed the ikamand V2 based on the notice which was in the box...so i removed the screws located on the right side of the vent and installed the ikamand but now i cannot put the screws anymore... does somebody have a solution? 

i have a kamado big joe 3

31 minutes ago, jpp said:

Hello! How are you everyone

i just installed the ikamand V2 based on the notice which was in the box...so i removed the screws located on the right side of the vent and installed the ikamand but now i cannot put the screws anymore... does somebody have a solution? 

i have a kamado big joe 3

There are nuts on the back side of those screws on the inside of the grill.  You need to remove the firebox to reinstall those screws with the nuts on the back.

So Gents,

Are we saying that the ikamand is the unit to have? Or is the Flameboss better? What are the main differences between the two? Or is that the same as asking, "how long is a piece of string"? ;)

I found a Flame Boss 100 on sale couple years back.  Not upgraded like the latest Flame Boss stuff but solid as a rock performance. I got a second one for backup purposes.

All that said, I have read and experienced  great Flame Boss reviews and CS.

M.