iKamand v2

John Setzler

On 4/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, Old Aviator said:

Daz,

I went on your website and got enthused until I read this: "We recommend using briquette charcoal for consistent burning. If you’re using lump charcoal, break them down to briquette size chunks. It is best to build your fire smaller than you normally would for the same meat if you were cooking it without the TempMaster Pro Controller. In general, about half as many coals is a good starting point."

If I can control the heat fairly well using lump charcoal and John's  techniques for top and bottom vents why wouldn't this controller be even better than I can do, with lump?

I recently purchased the BBQube TempMaster Portable to use with my Kamado Joe Classic II. Thus far over several cooks it has not had any trouble maintaining temperature with lump charcoal. I generally load it up exactly like I used to when I didn't have a controller. The only difference is I use a fire starter cube with the controller to let it come up to temperature slowly instead of the charcoal chimney.

Number 6,

Thank you for this response. I am disappointed that I never heard from Daz but I understand the logistics of not being able to monitor every post from everyone. Still, your post has helped allay my concerns.

@Old Aviator I think if you go up to Product & Reviews on pg 2 of that section you will see at least 2 threads by Daz and his controller with a charcoal grill he also designed which may have led to the confusion. Also on pg 3 of that section there is a thread by Dathzo that had alot of info on controllers and Daz can also be found talking his controller in that post.

Thank you @Vanole. This is the source of confusion:

From the online BBQube TempMaster Pro User Manual - Version 1.0.1 7:

"[Page 6] The following illustration shows the BBQube TempMaster Pro controlling a Kamado Grill in a typical BBQ application.

image.png.967ca3d4935275ca227c9be3aba1e102.pngStep 1: Build the Fire
Building a proper fire for use with the BBQube TempMaster Pro is an important step to ensure successful cooking. Perform the following steps to build your fire:
1. Determine the total amount of charcoal coals to use for your cooking your specific meat and time. It is best to place them around the outside circumference of the grill in a horseshoe manner, stacked about two coals deep and two or three coals wide. Experiment with the BBQube TempMaster Pro and your favorite grill to find the best layout. Always keep the air channel clear of ash and debris. If you’re using a small grill, leave out some room in the fire pit for the starter charcoals.

[Page 7. Photo of Briquettes arranged in a semi-circle in an unspecified grill]

NOTE: We recommend using briquette charcoal for consistent burning. If you’re using lump
charcoal, break them down to briquette size chunks. It is best to build your fire smaller than you normally would for the same meat if you were cooking it without the TempMaster Pro Controller. In general, about half as many coals is a good starting point.

Recommended starting number of charcoal briquettes to reach 225 degrees.
! 15” Kamado - 4 charcoal briquettes
! 22” Kamado - 8 charcoal briquettes
! 26” Kamado - 20 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Kettle 22” - 8 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Smokey Mountain - 10 briquettes
! Weber Go-Anywhere - 4 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Smokey-Joe - 6 charcoal briquettes
! SSOM Red Box Smoker - 6 charcoal briquettes
! Backwoods Chubby 3400 - 6 charcoal briquettes

2. It is easiest to start your coals in a charcoal chimney."

image.png

• 9 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:45 PM, Lumpy_Coal said:

Can someone tell me, if I wanted to get the iKamand, can I use it on the Big Joe and Classic or do i need a different model for each?  I did see it doesn’t work good on the jr.  

You can switch it between the two but you'll need 2 mounting brackets, one for each grill 

On 4/9/2020 at 6:16 AM, Old Aviator said:

Daz,

I went on your website and got enthused until I read this: "We recommend using briquette charcoal for consistent burning. If you’re using lump charcoal, break them down to briquette size chunks. It is best to build your fire smaller than you normally would for the same meat if you were cooking it without the TempMaster Pro Controller. In general, about half as many coals is a good starting point."

If I can control the heat fairly well using lump charcoal and John's  techniques for top and bottom vents why wouldn't this controller be even better than I can do, with lump?

hey so sorry I just saw your post. You can definitely use lump coal but break down the bigger chunks. When I wrote the manual I was overly cautious but since we're here...you can dump all the coals in and lit a corner, the controller will still manage the temperature very well. As long as coals are making good contacts with each other.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:20 AM, Old Aviator said:

Thank you @Vanole. This is the source of confusion:

From the online BBQube TempMaster Pro User Manual - Version 1.0.1 7:

"[Page 6] The following illustration shows the BBQube TempMaster Pro controlling a Kamado Grill in a typical BBQ application.

image.png.967ca3d4935275ca227c9be3aba1e102.pngStep 1: Build the Fire
Building a proper fire for use with the BBQube TempMaster Pro is an important step to ensure successful cooking. Perform the following steps to build your fire:
1. Determine the total amount of charcoal coals to use for your cooking your specific meat and time. It is best to place them around the outside circumference of the grill in a horseshoe manner, stacked about two coals deep and two or three coals wide. Experiment with the BBQube TempMaster Pro and your favorite grill to find the best layout. Always keep the air channel clear of ash and debris. If you’re using a small grill, leave out some room in the fire pit for the starter charcoals.

[Page 7. Photo of Briquettes arranged in a semi-circle in an unspecified grill]

NOTE: We recommend using briquette charcoal for consistent burning. If you’re using lump
charcoal, break them down to briquette size chunks. It is best to build your fire smaller than you normally would for the same meat if you were cooking it without the TempMaster Pro Controller. In general, about half as many coals is a good starting point.

Recommended starting number of charcoal briquettes to reach 225 degrees.
! 15” Kamado - 4 charcoal briquettes
! 22” Kamado - 8 charcoal briquettes
! 26” Kamado - 20 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Kettle 22” - 8 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Smokey Mountain - 10 briquettes
! Weber Go-Anywhere - 4 charcoal briquettes
! Weber Smokey-Joe - 6 charcoal briquettes
! SSOM Red Box Smoker - 6 charcoal briquettes
! Backwoods Chubby 3400 - 6 charcoal briquettes

2. It is easiest to start your coals in a charcoal chimney."

image.png

omg thanks for posting this I totally forgot I even wrote this lol. 

Our WiFi controller is coming next month! 

• 2 months later...

I’ve bought the ikamand V2 with the 1.0.38 firmware. When I start the ikamand app v5.3.2 on my iPhone I get a pop-up screen with the message that there is a firmware update and when pressing ‘Update now’ nothing is happening. I already tried it with my iPad and after selecting ‘Update now’ nothing happens.

Can somebody please help me how to update the firmware.

Michel

The Netherlands