Jose Andres Zapata

Second Cook - Pizza

For my second cook I decided to go with Pizza. So newbie on the Kamado and newbie at making pizza!

The dough - homemade. Being the first, I did not get too technical. Just testing the waters at this point. I made two pizzas, one mushrooms with pepperoni and a margherita. The sauce was home made.

The kamado was fired up and got it up to about 700*.  The grill was setup with the heat deflectors at the bottom and the pizza stone (bought separately) on top of the grill at the highest position.

IMG_5263.thumb.jpeg.a9bcaca06286f894d04291cf47d20dcb.jpeg

IMG_5264.thumb.jpeg.3c06183f1ce744fe882578fbf6fe8e44.jpeg

IMG_5266.thumb.jpeg.e6a18f61b803aa2d94a7927d119b8f22.jpeg

The bottom was great. The top does not show well on the photo, it cam out better than it shows on the photos.

37 minutes ago, Herman Munster said:

Bottom looks a little burnt . How long did you cook it for and at what temp. Herman 

My guess is that dough was not formulated for 700*. 

1 hour ago, Stile 88 said:

How long did you let it heat soak at that temp ?

I find lower temps work for me better for pizza 

Pizza temperature is all about what type of dough you are using. Some doughs burn at 700* and some doughs won't cook properly until 700*+. Sugar, oil. and type of flour play a critical role. 

Blanket statements about pizza temperatures don't apply really well without some extra facts. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

Pizza temperature is all about what type of dough you are using. Some doughs burn at 700* and some doughs won't cook properly until 700*+. Sugar, oil. and type of flour play a critical role. 

Blanket statements about pizza temperatures don't apply really well without some extra facts. 

surgar plays a role as well with burning the crust as well as temps and also timing you should know this since you are the pro

on my cooker i fair out better with lower temps so again i am citing my experiences not yours

hope this helps the orginal poster

Those were cooked at about 700deg for about 3 mins. It looks more burnt than it actually was...did not taste burnt...still in the "neapolitan" range of crispiness.

This was my first attempt ever at pizza, since I have learned quite a bit. Lately I have been using Roberta's recipe from the NYT site. It works well for lower/slower bakes and higher/faster bakes.  You can see another bake here:

I like Margherita and other toppings with thin / Neapolitan style crust. My wifes likes a thicker crust. So for the thicker crust I used the same recipe but lowered the temp to 600deg and let it bake for 7 mins. 7 mins was the perfect time for Crust and golden deliciousness on the top on my latest attempt. It was raining and we had company so  I did not take pictures.

If you have any questions let me know.

3 hours ago, Jose Andres Zapata said:

Those were cooked at about 700deg for about 3 mins. It looks more burnt than it actually was...did not taste burnt...still in the "neapolitan" range of crispiness.

This was my first attempt ever at pizza, since I have learned quite a bit. Lately I have been using Roberta's recipe from the NYT site. It works well for lower/slower bakes and higher/faster bakes.  You can see another bake here:

I like Margherita and other toppings with thin / Neapolitan style crust. My wifes likes a thicker crust. So for the thicker crust I used the same recipe but lowered the temp to 600deg and let it bake for 7 mins. 7 mins was the perfect time for Crust and golden deliciousness on the top on my latest attempt. It was raining and we had company so  I did not take pictures.

If you have any questions let me know.

For first ever attempt I think it came out really good. Don't stop with that recipe. Many, many other recipes, temperatures, and pizza styles to try out. What you think is perfect now you won't feel the same about it later in your pizza adventure. The pizza rabbit hole is deep and wide. 

That's actually a really good first attempt.  It took me a while before I could get consistent results.  And even now if I change a variable, I have to watch out because I still don't predict correctly sometimes. 

Jose, That is a fine pie and a great first attempt. My first pizza did not come out anywhere close to the quality of your pie. Looking at your set up, I think I am seeing a second stone as a deflector beneath the grate. If not, in my experience using two stones really helps keep the bottom from burning before the toppings are where you want them.  I use a set up that I learned from John Setzler. It looks like this.

A bottom stone used as a deflector with some time of support for the second stone. I used to use the copper elbows you see in this pic, before I got the fancy kiln blocks also in the pic

IMG_0295.thumb.jpg.dfdb4e5524f9659f0f83c9e39d332829.jpg

Just place the supports on the face of the deflector

IMG_0297.thumb.jpg.9a3f36f90b66be0158c1a368cc430432.jpg

And then set the pizza stone on top of that. John says the ideal air gap between stones is about 1 & 3/4".

You can just set the deflector on your main grate. I used two stones prior to learning this set up but I had a larger air gap between the two stones like it seems you may have. I like this set up the best of any I have tried. It gives you a decent amount of room for error and seems to easily turn out toasted but not burnt bottom crusts. 

IMG_0298.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions Keeper.  I recently got some ceramic risers and now put the deflector at the grills, ceramic risers on top and then then the pizza stone.

Last weekend I tried new recipes from a cookbook called Gjelina, from a restaurant in Venice Beach, CA. I received it as a gift from my wife's cousin. The toppings were next level phenomenal. I made a Pomodoro (tomato sauce + tomato confit + mozarella). Anchovy and roasted red pepper and the last one was Spinach + Mozarella + Feta + garlic confit. The tomato confit and garlic confit add so much flavor.

The dough from the cookbook was a bit disappointing. Just by looking at the proportions I thought it was too much water, but decided to go with it because it called for a 500deg cook, 10 minute cook. So we had thin crackers with awesome toppings ;).

I have had great success with the recipe from Roberta's in the NYT website. I get a nice rise, easy to handle, does not stick to the peel, etc. My next attempt will be the Roberta's dough with the awesome toppings.

IMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg