nikon5400

a dumb question - 1 chicken vs 2 chicken cooking time

Hi there 

My vision manuals says chicken 4lb 1-2 hours @250 degrees. If I cook 2 4lb chicken at the same time, do I double the time (2-4 hours) ? 

Thanks.

P.S. I wish there was a way to control cooking temperature and time via smartphone... is there? :)

No! Two 4# chickens cook in approximately the same time as one 4# chicken.

If you grill hamburgers, it takes you no longer to do one as compared to doing two, three or four

at the same time. Works the same way with BBQ'ing chickens, butts, briskets, etc. Maybe an

easy way to think about it.

As for temp control with a smartphone - lots of gizmos out there. I'm sure others will chime in

with information.

One more thing  - No questions are dumb. Asking is how we all learn.

No such thing as a dumb question, friend, just a request for needed info. I actually learned to kamado cook on a Vision, so it makes me a bit uncomfortable to question their cooking instructions, but I find that I must. IMO the optimum dome temp for chicken cooked indirect  is 375, with a climb up to 400-425 at the end of the cook. I cook chicken by internal temperature and not time. When a probe in the chickens breast reads 165 I pull it, regardless of how long it has been on the grill. That said and  to answer your actual question, I think I to 2 hours will cook both birds. My cooking times are pretty close to that but I am at 375 not 250 I would think your cooking time at 250 would actually be significantly longer than vision quotes. I have found through  experience that cooking chicken at lower temps for longer times, does not give me crisp skin or super moist juicy meat, and I like the results from higher temp cooks much better. If you go with the 250 temp, I would not rely on time alone and would check the birds with either a wired  temp probe or an instant read thermometer looking for 165 to 170 IT in the breast. Happy Cooking. 

I totally agree with @keeperovdeflame. 250* is way low for chicken. It'll end up way too Smokey (chicken can take on a lot of smoke) and rubbery skin.

I like 400* for about 1 1/2 hours. As @K_sqrd pointed out 2 chickens will basically cook in the same time frame as 1 chicken. The only exception to that is if you had a small kamado and 2 chickens seriously over crowded it. Then it would probably take more time (think 2 chickens crammed  into a Jr sized kamado) 

Thanks for replies. 

I have a couple more questions -

I use 2 wireless thermometers - 

Q-Tech (bt smartphone)

Char-Broil (some radio frequency. coldspot, 5 zones I believe)

Recommended temperatures are always (or almost always) lower on Q-Tech -  Chicken is 145, vs 165 on Char-Broil. Any idea why that is?

I had to start cooking before leaving home (that's why I wonder if there's a way to control cooking remotely:)),

came back about 90 minutes later, had 175 on Char-Broil. So, just like the manual says-  1-2hr per 4lb and just like you guys said - numbers of birds doesn't matter. 

Now I wonder why your cooking times at 400 is just as long?

I had 3 smokers in the last 2-3 years - LP-->Pellet-->Kamado.

I loved my LP vertical smoker with wood chips. I cooked chicken at 350-400 and it came out red and very tasty and very wet\juicy. :)

I hated Pellet - chicken always came out dry. That was the main reason I got rid of it. I tried beef and pork, they came out OK I guess, but I think Kamado is jucier.

I love Kamdo chicken, but I brine it first... something I never did with LP and Pellet

Pellet convenience is unmatched, but can it compete with Kamado in terms of taste (again, I never brined chicken before kamado)?

Thanks

P.S. I think I just found an answer to my first question

The FDA Food Code recommends cooking chicken to165°F (74°C). But the pasteurization of chicken is actually a function of both temperature and time. If you can hold your chicken at 145°F (63°C) for 8.5 minutes, you can achieve the same bacterial reduction as at 165°F (74°C).

On 2/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, nikon5400 said:

Recommended temperatures are always (or almost always) lower on Q-Tech -  Chicken is 145, vs 165 on Char-Broil. Any idea why that is?

Have you checked calibration?   Put both in boiling water and see if they both read the same. 212 degrees.  Put them both in a cup of ice water they should both read 32 degrees.  If they both read the same,  I have no answer.  If one is off by more than 5 degrees either live with it or throw it away.