keeperovdeflame

The Pizza tip that has helped me the most:

I have cooked pizza for years and years and was never really satisfied with my crust. I tried dough recipe after dough recipe and still couldn't find a winner. Then a friend asked me what temp do you cook at? I said 600-650. He asked is that a dome or stone temp? I said the temp was off the dome thermometer. He said what temp was your stone? I didn't know.

He gave me this infrared laser thermometer and said make your stone the temp recommended for your dough.

IMG_0324.thumb.jpg.c30e15950defa46bff30bf72b1d9d987.jpg

I made some Ken Forkish 70% hydration 24 - 72 hour dough and used the laser probe thermometer to make my stone temp 600 deg and cooked some pies. . Crust problem totally solved and my pizza cooks definitely went to the next level. Crust was crisp with a nice bite, and had the consistency and airiness of a nice sour dough bread internally. Simple thing I had been ignoring, actually  turned out to be the big turn around.  Best pizza tip I have ever received, so I thought I would pass it on to anyone who does not  already know this little gem of information . Happy Cooking. 

I think I have three of those laying around here.  Stone temp is more critical when cooking pizza but if you have your setup just right. the stone temp and the dome temp wont' be that far off.  When you are at 500-600f, 50 degrees difference to one side or the other is not a show stopper in any way.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I think I have three of those laying around here.  Stone temp is more critical when cooking pizza but if you have your setup just right. the stone temp and the dome temp wont' be that far off.  When you are at 500-600f, 50 degrees difference to one side or the other is not a show stopper in any way.

I think I have a pretty good pizza set up now. I put the set up in just after I start the fire and let it heat from the get go.  I think my set up  is a lot like the one you recommend on Man Cave and it works the best of all the set ups I have tried. However, when the dome temp first reaches 500 or 600 my stone temp can actually be 375 - 400 and something. So I find I have to wait a while for the stones to catch up. I bought a cheap little FiAir battery powered blower to gently blow air into the bottom intake and that has seemed to reduce my wait times. 

IMG_0297.thumb.jpg.128821d0ef0d04a083156b868b730833.jpg

IMG_0298.thumb.jpg.ef6d9358a2e87ed2ea830e1837c3b043.jpg