Not really a product, but more of a place to get product.  Does anyone have a membership or use the day passes?  If so, is it worth joining KCBS to get in whenever needed?  There is one in the next town over, less than 10 minutes from my house and have been intrigued by it since it opened.

8 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Not really a product, but more of a place to get product.  Does anyone have a membership or use the day passes?  If so, is it worth joining KCBS to get in whenever needed?  There is one in the next town over, less than 10 minutes from my house and have been intrigued by it since it opened.

I think I recall @freddyjbbq saying he had some experience with the restaurant depot iirc.  Maybe he can chime in here.

Worth it? Maybe. 

RD can be good but it varies by location and part of the country from what I understand. I have been to two near me and they mostly carry the same stuff but not everything. 

I like the one near me. Prices are pretty good and you can get stuff that you can't find in other places. Like Picanna and Tri tips.  Kitchen tools, knives, storage containers, all kinds of stuff. 

I go a few times per month. It complements Costco and BJs for me. I buy a lot of bulk and freeze things. 

Check it out, I think you will like it. 

RD is for the resturants in your your area at wholesale prices so is definitely worth it to get a membership i go at least twice a month for various meats spices ect when i make chicken burgers rd is the place to go to get what you need 

2 hours ago, prowe said:

I think I recall @freddyjbbq saying he had some experience with the restaurant depot iirc.  Maybe he can chime in here.

You have a good memory sir! And on a side note I saw 2 bags KJ big block lump at O’Connor hardware this morning (BGE yes, kJ grills, no)

anywho, to answer brads question is it RD worth the membership?

to be honest, RD is more about quantity than quality & it was the only place that I could find that stocks a full packer brisket (choice grade or the rd grade which may/may not be select)

With the exception of the selection of Cambro containers, pizza peels & pans, I much prefer Costco to RD.

i think you might be referring to the RD on dascomb road in Andover?  I recommend going there and just walking past the card scanner and having a look around before you spend $$ on KCbs

1 hour ago, freddyjbbq said:

You have a good memory sir! And on a side note I saw 2 bags KJ big block lump at O’Connor hardware this morning (BGE yes, kJ grills, no)

to be honest, RD is more about quantity than quality & it was the only place that I could find that stocks a full packer brisket (choice grade or the rd grade which may/may not be select)

With the exception of the selection of Cambro containers, pizza peels & pans, I much prefer Costco to RD.

i think you might be referring to the RD on dascomb road in Andover?  I recommend going there and just walking past the card scanner and having a look around before you spend $$ on KCbs

Thank you sir... and everyone else that chimes in.  I’ll definitely swing by and take a quick walk around.

3 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Thats very interesting. I suspect that if O’Connor’s  has 2 bags in stock it would prob be available to order via their distribution center. I will keep that in mind. Last time I was in they had black diamond back in stock after discontinuing it last year. There was no pricing, so I’m not sure if it is back to full price, if not they were a great deal at 10 bucks a box. At twenty I’ll pass.

I have been a KCBS member, just for the RD daily pass, for about 4 years now. I don't think I am going to renew this year. RD is great for supplies, the spices are really cheap but I don't really need much in the way of supplies anymore and the one in Richmond, VA, is a little disappointing when it comes to meat. I end up getting most of my meat either at Costco, or local grocery stores when they have good sales and haven't really bought much meat from this past year.

9 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Does anyone have a membership or use the day passes?  If so, is it worth joining KCBS to get in whenever needed?  There is one in the next town over, less than 10 minutes from my house and have been intrigued by it since it opened.

Other than the spices mentioned, I think RD is most useful to those cooking for large groups. I buy perhaps 90% of my briskets from there. I also bet bone in pork butts 2 per pack for the price of buying one in the local grocery. You can get a variety of large cuts at decent pricing. The spare ribs, baby racks also come at a very good price. But, like Costco, you will not walk out with just one slab.

3 hours ago, prowe said:

Thats very interesting. I suspect that if O’Connor’s  has 2 bags in stock it would prob be available to order via their distribution center. I will keep that in mind. Last time I was in they had black diamond back in stock after discontinuing it last year. There was no pricing, so I’m not sure if it is back to full price, if not they were a great deal at 10 bucks a box. At twenty I’ll pass.

They also have an Ooni Pro Pizza oven in there and a bunch of other cool stuff 

I guess I should have added that my RD offers two grades of choice on brisket- a USDA choice as mentioned above and a CAB choice which I have cooked along side the Costco Prime. I could not tell the difference in taste, texture, tenderness, etc. So, I am not totally in on the quality of the meat- at least that I buy there- not being high. Costco, yes, has higher quality pork ribs, steaks, etc. but, at a significantly higher price per pound. I have not purchased butts at Costco because they are not bone in.  The beef plate ribs from RD are fantastic...

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

It's probably cheaper to just apply for a business license as a sole-proprietorship to get a sales tax collection certificate. In NJ it's free to do so. A quick search of Google comes up with $25-50 in MA to register a "DBA Certificate" valid for 4-5 years, depending on your county.

41 minutes ago, Bigzamboni said:

It's probably cheaper to just apply for a business license as a sole-proprietorship to get a sales tax collection certificate. In NJ it's free to do so. A quick search of Google comes up with $25-50 in MA to register a "DBA Certificate" valid for 4-5 years, depending on your county.

you can also find a family member or friend with ANY business and fill out the forms.  as-long-as you fill out all of the forms that apply to your situation, they wont deny you.  my buddy's wife got one with her hair dresser D/B/A and is got one with my companies info (we are trucking & warehousing).

I joined SCA to get a RD card, and it paid for itself with only one brisket purchase.  $3.29/lb for "superior" choice vs. $7.99 @ BJs or Costco.  FWIW, mine is basically in the parking lot of the Eagles Lincoln Financial Field, across from Citizens Bank Park.

It's the only place I get Brisket from, and they have a great selection of Dexter knives and large cutting boards and accessories that you can't get in regular stores.  I don't get pork butt there because it's usually 20lbs or more, and I never want anything more than around 10.

Dude. Where is your Costco located that brisket costs $7.99?  In every state that I have checked,  including the Brooklyn Costco, brisket prices have been consistent: $2.99, two years ago, $3.29, the last year and a half.

My local grocers however have ridiculous brisket prices most of the time.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ