helliger

Rib cook with Coleman natural st. Louis rib cut

Haven't done a whole lot of ribs on the Kamado since I've had it but loved the result of these. Had a real nice bite. Super moist. Kept it simple. I like this brand of ribs. Nice and meaty and not previously frozen.

Went with Lazzari mesquite charcoal (common in the bay area). I haven't used it in a while but have to say it was better than I remembered. Hadn't used it in years. Very nice size pieces and consistent burn. Mesquite was not overpowering in the slightest (since it's carbonized into charcoal I supposed not that surprising although I was worried it might be harsh). Added about 4 chunks of cherry. Put a pan beneath to catch the drippings but no water. Used water last time but think for ribs it's perhaps a mistake in a kamado. Enough humidity without it.

Used a pretty straight forward rub of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar. Put the rub on as the Kamado came up to temp. I don't find putting the dry rub on hours before makes much of a difference with ribs. brought up to temp and sprinkled some more brown sugar on when I put it on the grill.

Cooked at a slightly high temp (around 270 measured at the grate) until I got the color I liked (around 3 1/2 hours). 

Wrapped them in tinfoil after adding a bit more of the rub,  brown sugar and Lee Roy's dippin sauce, and a tad bit of vinegar and put back on for about and hour and half.

Unwrapped an put back on the grill. After about 30 minutes added some more lee roy's finishing sauce and let it go for another 30 minutes or so.  Let it rest for a few minutes and gave the whole thing to my dog.  Not really but I think that's how my dog thought it was going to play out by the way he was casing the joint.

rib.jpg

ribside.jpg