Sign in to follow this  
Stevan

Hello from Central Kentucky

Hi Folks.  I just got a Vision Pro Series S Kamado from Home Depot at a great price so I'm scoping out the Kamado cooking boards to better educate myself.  Any tips on would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stevan (same as Steven).

Welcome Stevan, glad to have you and your new Vision with us. I learned to cook on a Vision Pro C which is almost identical to your grill with the exception of the round  shape of the ash drawer assembly.  You will be happy with your grill choice and it's performance. There are a whole host of tips and information in the posts on our forum so enjoy your entry into kamado cooking and the forum conversation. Some important quick tips are 1. never use a petroleum based fire starter as the chemicals will taint your ceramic components, 2. When you light your new kamado it will put out white smoke until your fire establishes it self and then the smoke color will transition to an almost invisible blue grey; don't cook on the white smoke wait for the blue  grey smoke to put food on or your food with taste smokey and acrid. 3. Get in the habit of burping (lifting the lid only an inch and holding it there for a number of seconds when you open the dome)  this will allow the rush of oxygen to stabilize and prevent your fire from flashing up and possibly injuring you.  4. Don't use anything made of  galvanized metal in your grill, as galvanized metal gives off aromatic chemicals at temperature.  Those tips should get you started and keep you safe, Happy cooking. 

Welcome to the forum. I have found that a lot of tips that are offered for a specific grill can be applicable across a number of kamado grills. Also, anything you can cook in your oven can be cooked on a kamado grill; therefore, don't get hungup on how recipes are cooked.

Welcome to the forum Stevan and congrats on the new Vision Pro!  There is a lot of great information to be had here just by reading some of the threads.  If you have Vision specific questions, ask them in the "Talk about your cooker" section of the forum.  More general advice is found in the other sections.  If your totally new to this type of cooking, my advice would be to start with chicken because it's a forgiving meat to cook, relatively inexpensive, and cooks fairly quickly.   

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips.  I'm in the process of reading around and watching a few youTube videos and hope to get to some grilling this weekend.  My plan is to reverse sear a couple of ribeye's first and maybe move on to some slow cooking/smoking in the weeks to come.

When I got my KJ my first cooks were steaks. I was able to hold the temp, but had problems with getting the steaks done to rare/medium rare. I was trying to do reverse sears and was using steaks that were too thin for a reverse sear.