keeperovdeflame

Need Peal tips and suggestions

Recently I went to using a much hotter stone than I have been for making pizza. I have been measuring my  stone temp with an infrared laser probe and waiting for my stone to come to up to temp before putting on a pie.  Allowing my stone to get to 600 has really helped bring out the quality of my dough. The pies are cooking up fantastic. The problem I am having is that my old technique of using parchment paper rounds under the pies does not work so well with higher stone temps. The paper either does not hold up to the heat or sticks to the bottom crust of the pie. Therefore, I have gone to a wooden peal to put pies on and continue to use my metal peal to take turn them and take them off. I bought a cheap wooden peal at the True Value down the hill and it only lasted one cook before it split. Also, even though I make sure the peal surface is well floured and dry, some of my pies hang up and do not slide off well. I actually dropped one on the stone last night and made a mess. Any recommendations for a quality wooded peal, and or tips for using one effectively will be greatly appreciated. 

here's a pic of my current split peal

IMG_0331.thumb.jpg.15166822a68093d20088b58b1686e2bf.jpg

Couple tips. 

Stretch the dough to the size you want...actually a little bigger as it will shrink a little...before putting it on the peel. Dust the peel with some flour before putting on the peel. Only leave the dough on the peel long enough to dress the pie. The longer it sits the more its going to stick as it transfers moisture to the peel. 

Lastly....pick up one end of the dough and blow under the dough. Give it a little shake and launch. 

Blowing under the dough is a tip that has helped me. Works like a charm. One more thing. In the beginning I was using too much flour mixed with Semolina flour.....problem is it burns and you can taste it in the final pie. Cut back on both flours and started to blow underneath before launch and the results are much better.  One one more thing....rub the flour into the peel. You don't need much at all. 

I have a peel similar to this I got at RD. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-2414-15-1-2-x-13-7-8-wood-pizza-peel-with-8-handle/1242414.html

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

........r a quality wooded peal, and or tips for using one effectively will be greatly appreciated. 

i've tried parchment, cornmeal & semolina flour on my peel.  All of them will work, but I've settled on a favorite technique/best practice which is just rubbing a little bit (maybe teaspoon or 2) of the same flour that i used for the dough onto the peel in a circular motion.

key to using the peel to launch is not letting your dough stick to the peel, (which it will do if you let it sit there static for very long) and the way to prevent that is to "shoogle" often

Once you do it a couple of times and build confidence, you wont even think twice about it any more, just fire the the pizzas right in there.

it is described in tip #7 at 2:50 in    

Move quickly but don't stretch too fast to the point you expose the moisture in the dough.  Don't use a roller, just use your hands. Check out Roberta's New York Times video on youtube. Worked out great for me. First pies that slid off no problem. 

Key points:

Room Temperature dough

Stretch on countertop

Move to peel dusted with flour

Add toppings quickly

Good luck!

I do the same - wood on and metal off.  

I do stretch the dough on the counter - flour and a little corn meal on wooden peel then add toppings.  The key for me is to quickly get the pizza made and peel in my hand - I keep quickly shaking the peel back and forth so the pizza is sliding an inch or so back and forth.  I continue this while walking to grill then keeping the same side to side motion going I start to lean towards the grill to slide off.  Once the dough touches the back of the peel, it should pull right off.  I have found if I let the pizza sit for more than a couple of minutes on a wood peel without moving - it is likely to stick.  

Thanks very much all, I think my major problem came from leaving the pizza on the peel to long.I will try bringing my egg to temp and then building a pie on the peel quickly and getting it off and on the stone before it has the time to soak in a get sticky. I did by a new peel. It came highly recommend from a friend. It is made of wood fiber composite 30% eucalyptus and 70% pine and food safe polymer. It is pretty slick on the surface and will not absorb moisture, warp, or split. Coated with flour, it is supposed to work like a dream. I will put it through the paces and let you know how it does. 

I got mine at a kitchen store, but here it is on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Epicurean-Pizza-21-5-Inch-14-Inch-Natural/dp/B000PRI3TS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550074642&sr=8-3&keywords=epicurean%2Bpizza%2Bpeel&th=1 

1 hour ago, grill seeker said:

........- I keep quickly shaking the peel back and forth so the pizza is sliding an inch or so back and forth.  I continue this while walking to grill then keeping the same side to side motion going I start to lean towards the grill to slide off. 

Yep, that is what they call the "shoogle" in the video above; you can keep the pizza on your peel as-long-as you like if you give it a shake every few minutes.  i've graduated from shaking it onto the stone to just flinging it on there in 1 motion (was a bit nervous at first, but its fun).