wallawu

Slice ribs pre-cook? + Rotisserie Prime Rib tips?

I'm throwing my annual Daytona 500 party Sunday and I grabbed 5 racks of baby backs at $2.68/lb.  Boneless ribeye is on sale for $7.98/lb, so I'm planning on trying out the new rotisserie stand I got for Christmas over an easy cinder block pit I'm going to set up with a 7-8 lb rib roast.  Never rotisserie'd anything before, so this could be a disaster.  A few questions for each...

There will be a lot happening at once, so I'd like to get more done during the prep than during and after the cooks.  I'm wondering if cutting the ribs into sections--or even individually as this article suggests https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-13-2015-pre-slicing-ribs-before-smoking-them--has been a success for anyone.  My thoughts are smoke them for about 2 hours, put them all in an aluminum pan or two with some juice/sauce and rub covered for another 2, then take the top off the pans to finish them off for a bit.  After that I can just set the pans out and let people have at it.  This works beautifully with beef ribs, but I've never tried it with pork.  It sure would save me time and aluminum foil during the cook.  It will also keep anyone from grabbing too many and throwing meat away.

As far as the prime rib on the rotisserie,  I'm planning on lighting a good base of coals topped with hickory logs I have and letting that dwindle down to a hot heap of coals.  Should I offset the roast a little with a pan underneath with some water in it to use the juices?  If so, I may be able to use our fire pit.  I think this will be a 5+ hour process, so I'm sure I'll have to add coals.  Since it'll be boneless, do I need to tie it with string or wire, or will the forks suffice?  This is going to be an experiment for sure, so I'm glad I'll have the baby back-ups.  Any open flame rotisserie experts out there?  As always, thanks for the help!

Just my two cents: I would not pre cut the ribs but cook them whole and cut them afterward.  I would think the more surface exposed to air would promote even pork to dry out a bit, and the key to great ribs is moisture IMO anyway. To ease the time burden I would just recruit a willing participant from the guests give em a knife and a couple of beers and a pan to put the ribs in. When I do ribs on my Egg they pass the bend test at about 3 1/2 hours. I leave them naked for the first hour and 1/2 and wrap them in foil during the second. When I have tried to cook them longer they seemed dry to me. The prime rib above the fire pit sounds cool. My buddy does something similar by suspending a string from a hook on his outdoor  fireplace mantle in front of a fire he makes with oak.  The string is tied on to  something that looks like a stainless steel treble hook with a pointed end with a hole for the string to pass through. He pushes the treble hook through a cut of meat and then hangs it in front of his outdoor fireplace over a drip pan on the hearth. Guests periodically give the meat a spin while they sip on wine or beers,  creating a vertical poor mans rotisserie. He has done bone in prime rib, leg of lamb, even a turkey, and they all came out great. My suggestion would be to tie the PR into a compact roast shape with butchers twine before putting it on the spit. That will help it cook evenly and prevent it from flopping around during the cook. I always tie up my PR's and I just cook them sitting on a stationary grill grate.  IMO PR is an easy cook, pretty much the only thing you can do to screw it up is over cook it. So I would check it with an instant read thermometer periodically during the cook. I pull mine just below 120 and then let it rest in a warmed cooler. So if you wanted to to give yourself  more time with your guests you could start it early and not worry when it will be done. I do one every year for Christmas dinner and held last years for over an hour in the warm Yeti until all the sides were ready. Worked out great. This sounds like a super fun cook, your guests will enjoy watching. I would put some seating and a cooler close to the fire pit as watching the PR spin over a open fire would be quite the show. A thought, would be to pre cook, when you fire is going  hang a  some aluminum foil balls off the naked spit over the fire with each ball at a different height above the fire. I am thinking if you measure the temp of each ball with a laser infrared temp probe  it will give you an idea of how hot the fire is at that height.   Have fun. 

The wife's dad used to cut baby backs into three or four bone sections and cook them indirect on kingsford.

Sauce was applied four/five times over 4/5 hours and they were perhaps the best ribs I ever ate.

Sauce was a thin-ish vinegar based Memphis home brew her mom whipped up and by the time they were cooked the sauce was thick and stuck like glue to the meat.

He was friends with his butcher and always got the best ribs in stock.

17 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Just my two cents: I would not pre cut the ribs but cook them whole and cut them afterward.  I would think the more surface exposed to air would promote even pork to dry out a bit, and the key to great ribs is moisture IMO anyway. To ease the time burden I would just recruit a willing participant from the guests give em a knife and a couple of beers and a pan to put the ribs in. When I do ribs on my Egg they pass the bend test at about 3 1/2 hours. I leave them naked for the first hour and 1/2 and wrap them in foil during the second. When I have tried to cook them longer they seemed dry to me. The prime rib above the fire pit sounds cool. My buddy does something similar by suspending a string from a hook on his outdoor  fireplace mantle in front of a fire he makes with oak.  The string is tied on to  something that looks like a stainless steel treble hook with a pointed end with a hole for the string to pass through. He pushes the treble hook through a cut of meat and then hangs it in front of his outdoor fireplace over a drip pan on the hearth. Guests periodically give the meat a spin while they sip on wine or beers,  creating a vertical poor mans rotisserie. He has done bone in prime rib, leg of lamb, even a turkey, and they all came out great. My suggestion would be to tie the PR into a compact roast shape with butchers twine before putting it on the spit. That will help it cook evenly and prevent it from flopping around during the cook. I always tie up my PR's and I just cook them sitting on a stationary grill grate.  IMO PR is an easy cook, pretty much the only thing you can do to screw it up is over cook it. So I would check it with an instant read thermometer periodically during the cook. I pull mine just below 120 and then let it rest in a warmed cooler. So if you wanted to to give yourself  more time with your guests you could start it early and not worry when it will be done. I do one every year for Christmas dinner and held last years for over an hour in the warm Yeti until all the sides were ready. Worked out great. This sounds like a super fun cook, your guests will enjoy watching. I would put some seating and a cooler close to the fire pit as watching the PR spin over a open fire would be quite the show. A thought, would be to pre cook, when you fire is going  hang a  some aluminum foil balls off the naked spit over the fire with each ball at a different height above the fire. I am thinking if you measure the temp of each ball with a laser infrared temp probe  it will give you an idea of how hot the fire is at that height.   Have fun. 

Haha, I was thinking "where is he going with the aluminum foil ball thing?" And then it made total sense. Thanks for the tips! I think what I may do is instead of wrapping the ribs, laying them in a double layer of aluminum pans and wrapping them. Honestly, the foiling is the part that I find to be such a nuisance. I usually lose control of my grill temp during that time. Sounds like your buddy does a similar thing to what I'm thinking, puts the rib roast in front of the fire rather than directly over it. In this case, are they open flames, or does he let it burn down to coals? I don't want it to taste smokey, so that's why my plan was to let it burn to coals.

Btw, how long did it take?

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

The wife's dad used to cut baby backs into three or four bone sections and cook them indirect on kingsford.

Sauce was applied four/five times over 4/5 hours and they were perhaps the best ribs I ever ate.

Sauce was a thin-ish vinegar based Memphis home brew her mom whipped up and by the time they were cooked the sauce was thick and stuck like glue to the meat.

He was friends with his butcher and always got the best ribs in stock.

Do you think he just kept the temperature really lower the whole time? Never foiled?

Never tried this with a rotisserie but it's a novel idea. The sending unit is attached to the spit at / near the handle.

Check video at ~ 0:35sec. Looks like you can keep track of cooking temp as well as meat temp.

9 hours ago, wallawu said:

Do you think he just kept the temperature really lower the whole time? Never foiled?

I did not check out how he cooked them, it was back in the mid 1070's but the wife says he showed her how to do it and that he used two large double hand fulls of kingsford placed against one wall of his square cooker with the ribs indirect, but there was no foil involved.

Sounds like low and slow and perhaps the minion method to boot.