Jump to content

wallawu

Slice ribs pre-cook? + Rotisserie Prime Rib tips?

Recommended Posts

I'm throwing my annual Daytona 500 party Sunday and I grabbed 5 racks of baby backs at $2.68/lb.  Boneless ribeye is on sale for $7.98/lb, so I'm planning on trying out the new rotisserie stand I got for Christmas over an easy cinder block pit I'm going to set up with a 7-8 lb rib roast.  Never rotisserie'd anything before, so this could be a disaster.  A few questions for each...

 

There will be a lot happening at once, so I'd like to get more done during the prep than during and after the cooks.  I'm wondering if cutting the ribs into sections--or even individually as this article suggests https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-13-2015-pre-slicing-ribs-before-smoking-them--has been a success for anyone.  My thoughts are smoke them for about 2 hours, put them all in an aluminum pan or two with some juice/sauce and rub covered for another 2, then take the top off the pans to finish them off for a bit.  After that I can just set the pans out and let people have at it.  This works beautifully with beef ribs, but I've never tried it with pork.  It sure would save me time and aluminum foil during the cook.  It will also keep anyone from grabbing too many and throwing meat away.

 

As far as the prime rib on the rotisserie,  I'm planning on lighting a good base of coals topped with hickory logs I have and letting that dwindle down to a hot heap of coals.  Should I offset the roast a little with a pan underneath with some water in it to use the juices?  If so, I may be able to use our fire pit.  I think this will be a 5+ hour process, so I'm sure I'll have to add coals.  Since it'll be boneless, do I need to tie it with string or wire, or will the forks suffice?  This is going to be an experiment for sure, so I'm glad I'll have the baby back-ups.  Any open flame rotisserie experts out there?  As always, thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my two cents: I would not pre cut the ribs but cook them whole and cut them afterward.  I would think the more surface exposed to air would promote even pork to dry out a bit, and the key to great ribs is moisture IMO anyway. To ease the time burden I would just recruit a willing participant from the guests give em a knife and a couple of beers and a pan to put the ribs in. When I do ribs on my Egg they pass the bend test at about 3 1/2 hours. I leave them naked for the first hour and 1/2 and wrap them in foil during the second. When I have tried to cook them longer they seemed dry to me. The prime rib above the fire pit sounds cool. My buddy does something similar by suspending a string from a hook on his outdoor  fireplace mantle in front of a fire he makes with oak.  The string is tied on to  something that looks like a stainless steel treble hook with a pointed end with a hole for the string to pass through. He pushes the treble hook through a cut of meat and then hangs it in front of his outdoor fireplace over a drip pan on the hearth. Guests periodically give the meat a spin while they sip on wine or beers,  creating a vertical poor mans rotisserie. He has done bone in prime rib, leg of lamb, even a turkey, and they all came out great. My suggestion would be to tie the PR into a compact roast shape with butchers twine before putting it on the spit. That will help it cook evenly and prevent it from flopping around during the cook. I always tie up my PR's and I just cook them sitting on a stationary grill grate.  IMO PR is an easy cook, pretty much the only thing you can do to screw it up is over cook it. So I would check it with an instant read thermometer periodically during the cook. I pull mine just below 120 and then let it rest in a warmed cooler. So if you wanted to to give yourself  more time with your guests you could start it early and not worry when it will be done. I do one every year for Christmas dinner and held last years for over an hour in the warm Yeti until all the sides were ready. Worked out great. This sounds like a super fun cook, your guests will enjoy watching. I would put some seating and a cooler close to the fire pit as watching the PR spin over a open fire would be quite the show. A thought, would be to pre cook, when you fire is going  hang a  some aluminum foil balls off the naked spit over the fire with each ball at a different height above the fire. I am thinking if you measure the temp of each ball with a laser infrared temp probe  it will give you an idea of how hot the fire is at that height.   Have fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife's dad used to cut baby backs into three or four bone sections and cook them indirect on kingsford.

Sauce was applied four/five times over 4/5 hours and they were perhaps the best ribs I ever ate.

Sauce was a thin-ish vinegar based Memphis home brew her mom whipped up and by the time they were cooked the sauce was thick and stuck like glue to the meat.

He was friends with his butcher and always got the best ribs in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Just my two cents: I would not pre cut the ribs but cook them whole and cut them afterward.  I would think the more surface exposed to air would promote even pork to dry out a bit, and the key to great ribs is moisture IMO anyway. To ease the time burden I would just recruit a willing participant from the guests give em a knife and a couple of beers and a pan to put the ribs in. When I do ribs on my Egg they pass the bend test at about 3 1/2 hours. I leave them naked for the first hour and 1/2 and wrap them in foil during the second. When I have tried to cook them longer they seemed dry to me. The prime rib above the fire pit sounds cool. My buddy does something similar by suspending a string from a hook on his outdoor  fireplace mantle in front of a fire he makes with oak.  The string is tied on to  something that looks like a stainless steel treble hook with a pointed end with a hole for the string to pass through. He pushes the treble hook through a cut of meat and then hangs it in front of his outdoor fireplace over a drip pan on the hearth. Guests periodically give the meat a spin while they sip on wine or beers,  creating a vertical poor mans rotisserie. He has done bone in prime rib, leg of lamb, even a turkey, and they all came out great. My suggestion would be to tie the PR into a compact roast shape with butchers twine before putting it on the spit. That will help it cook evenly and prevent it from flopping around during the cook. I always tie up my PR's and I just cook them sitting on a stationary grill grate.  IMO PR is an easy cook, pretty much the only thing you can do to screw it up is over cook it. So I would check it with an instant read thermometer periodically during the cook. I pull mine just below 120 and then let it rest in a warmed cooler. So if you wanted to to give yourself  more time with your guests you could start it early and not worry when it will be done. I do one every year for Christmas dinner and held last years for over an hour in the warm Yeti until all the sides were ready. Worked out great. This sounds like a super fun cook, your guests will enjoy watching. I would put some seating and a cooler close to the fire pit as watching the PR spin over a open fire would be quite the show. A thought, would be to pre cook, when you fire is going  hang a  some aluminum foil balls off the naked spit over the fire with each ball at a different height above the fire. I am thinking if you measure the temp of each ball with a laser infrared temp probe  it will give you an idea of how hot the fire is at that height.   Have fun. 

Haha, I was thinking "where is he going with the aluminum foil ball thing?" And then it made total sense. Thanks for the tips! I think what I may do is instead of wrapping the ribs, laying them in a double layer of aluminum pans and wrapping them. Honestly, the foiling is the part that I find to be such a nuisance. I usually lose control of my grill temp during that time. Sounds like your buddy does a similar thing to what I'm thinking, puts the rib roast in front of the fire rather than directly over it. In this case, are they open flames, or does he let it burn down to coals? I don't want it to taste smokey, so that's why my plan was to let it burn to coals.

 

Btw, how long did it take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

The wife's dad used to cut baby backs into three or four bone sections and cook them indirect on kingsford.

Sauce was applied four/five times over 4/5 hours and they were perhaps the best ribs I ever ate.

Sauce was a thin-ish vinegar based Memphis home brew her mom whipped up and by the time they were cooked the sauce was thick and stuck like glue to the meat.

He was friends with his butcher and always got the best ribs in stock.

Do you think he just kept the temperature really lower the whole time? Never foiled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never tried this with a rotisserie but it's a novel idea. The sending unit is attached to the spit at / near the handle.

Check video at ~ 0:35sec. Looks like you can keep track of cooking temp as well as meat temp.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wallawu said:

Do you think he just kept the temperature really lower the whole time? Never foiled?

 

I did not check out how he cooked them, it was back in the mid 1070's but the wife says he showed her how to do it and that he used two large double hand fulls of kingsford placed against one wall of his square cooker with the ribs indirect, but there was no foil involved.

Sounds like low and slow and perhaps the minion method to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Content

    • By Daz
      Finally I got around to finish this idea I had for a long time, ever since I made the pizza ring. I picked up a set of Weber Rotisserie and lathed part of the shaft round to fit the Akorn. I cut two little "V" on the pizza ring and the drive motor sits perfectly on top fo the side table - lucked out on that one! The chickens were marinaded with Hawaiian Huli Huli Sauce for two days, with some Hawaiian Salt Seasoning, freshly ground pepper and they turned out amazing. I gotta thank my neighbor who worked at a construction site and got me a tuck load of dried out Kiawe wood. It burns really hot and long lasting. I'm starting to put a kit together and will report back on the progress.
       
       
    • By ndg_2000
      Hi
       
      I have just got my rotisserie attachment sorted out for the kamado
       
       As I have not cooked with a rotisserie before I was looking for tips/cooking temperature advice for a whole chicken as a starter so I can get a feel for it. 
       
      Also some other cooks that a rotisserie is well suited for.
       
      Thanks in advance 
      Nigel 
    • By odamaK
      So, I got my Joetisserie and began to look for a replacement motor in case after a year my motor failed. The joetisserie motor is .model RM-A101, and conveniently enough Onlyfire has the exact same model number motor that looks identical. Here is the link on Amazon for Canada, same item would be for the USA. 
       
      https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie-Aftermarket/dp/B00X7RKFWG/ref=asc_df_B00X7RKFWG/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293002225578&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1174210165666426299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000793&hvtargid=pla-502873780552&psc=1&th=1
       
      I ordered by both, and the stainless is going back, it does not match for reasons below. 
       
      Now this says it's rated for 20lbs and is 4 watts just like the Kamado Joe one except the kamado Joe says 50 lbs. which I find odd. 
       
      Also the stainless steel one on Amazon is a RM-A201 and the bolt pattern does not .match the Kamado Joe plate if you have to swap plates. 
       
      The description says it has anti backlash gears.
       
      It's not stronger for those looking for more power but this will allow you to swap adaptor plates and have a backup motor in case your motor dies during a spin possibly and this will get you back up and ruunnig. It's cheap insurance.  
       
      Can't upload photos from where I am but will try later. 
       
      Oh the joetisserie cord is longer. 
    • By Shortyque
      tDid the obligatory turkey for thanksgiving, but this was the first time on the Joetisserie.  Truth be told, this was only the third time I ever used the Joetisserie.  My setup was, coals  banked to each side, with an old metal bread loaf pan in the middle.  I filled the pan with water, mainly because I was afraid of grease hitting hot metal and making greasy smoke.  I had air dried the bird for about 15 hours in the fridge, then rubbed it with olive oil.  We sprinkled rub on the outside, and also worked some up under the skin. Also, we injected the breast with garlic butter.  The turkey really turned out tasty and juicy, but the skin was not crisp, in fact, we threw most of the skin away.  Did the water pan cause the rubbery skin?  The water was pretty much boiling, and maybe the vapor wasn't good?  I just can't imaging letting all that grease run into my grill, nor can I imaging the grease dripping into a screaming hot metal pan with no liquid.  Suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc........


    • By Logan
      Someone had suggested making a porchetta on the Joetisserie. For those (like me) who aren't familiar with it, it is basically a pork belly with the skin on, rolled, cooked, and sliced for sandwiches and such. The goal is a buttery juicy interior and a crispy flakey exterior. And I think it was an outstanding success, if I do say so myself
       
      Whole pork belly, had to ask the butcher at the asian market for it. Sprinkled it with salt, sliced garlic, dried rosemary, and ground fennel seeds. Roasted on Joetisserie for about 3 hours, but fought to keep temperatures below 400, due to the grease keeping the fire going! Sorry I don't have any pictures of it sliced, but we sure enjoyed it.
       
       
       
       



×
×
  • Create New...