SeaBrisket

Recommend me a manual, adjustable pepper grinder/spice mill that you love

Had an unfortunate incident and lost my spice mill that I used pretty exclusively for pepper. It was a good one but there wasn't much of a difference between the coarse and fine settings so I'd like to try something else. Anybody love one they can recommend? Looking for adjustable and manual only.

I have a thing for pepper mills and have tried many over the years. So far the best I have found are made by Peugeot in France. The one I have is fully adjustable on numbered settings from 1 through 6. The grinding mechanism is case hardened steel. They are available in most quality kitchen stores but cost a bit more than the usual fare. The extra cost is worth it IMO. I have had mine for over 8 years and have had  no issues with it's operation or the wood cracking or splitting. It did get some mixed reviews on Amazon, that surprised me. Maybe I was just lucky, but based on my experience I would buy another one. 

I have this onehttps://www.amazon.com/Peugeot-23317-USelect-9-Inch-Natural/dp/B000RAC7U4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1550205454&sr=8-13&keywords=Peugeot+pepper+mill

P1010714.thumb.JPG.b33e66981f9119cc00949ed19f0da690.JPG

I've had this grinder for several years.  Got it at Penzeys and believe they no longer carry it .  I like it and it can be adjusted 1-8 for different grind sizes.   Ceramic mill.  Wife says I use too much pepper but she's also the one that wants JUST a gram of salt on her food and nothing else.   We have issues.  .https://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_7603171011?ie=UTF8&node=7603171011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=ZassenhausP1010716.thumb.JPG.c4732e087b944fecb6e240e219d65ec1.JPG

57 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

You all have upped my budget a bit but maybe I underpaid for my last one. Appreciating the suggestions so far! Thank you.

Unfortunately when it comes to purchasing BBQ and kitchen items " those who live by the sword die by the sword".  membership in this forum also indicates you are most likely infected with the acquisition disorder virus. The primary symptom: You buy what you think is the "end all, be all" piece of gear, and then see a post about something new and just out, and you just can't stop thinking about it, and down the big black rabbit hole you go :shock:

I second the Peugeot, had one for a while and the adjustment band cracked, took it back and they gave me a brand new on.  Sign up for the Williams and Sonoma emails and you will eventually get a 20% off one item coupon.  

57 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Unfortunately when it comes to purchasing BBQ and kitchen items " those who live by the sword die by the sword".  membership in this forum also indicates you are most likely infected with the acquisition disorder virus. The primary symptom: You buy what you think is the "end all, be all" piece of gear, and then see a post about something new and just out, and you just can't stop thinking about it, and down the big black rabbit hole you go :shock:

I try to be well behaved in that regard and only replace things when absolutely needed. That said, my heart leapt a little this weekend when my outdated but totally functional Maverick 732 blank screened. (Un)Fortunately, a battery replacement did the trick.

On the case of the pepper grinder, I utterly destroyed it so I'm looking forward to an upgrade.

Might as well tell the story. My house came with one of those glass topped electric ovens that are too easy to treat as an extended countertop. I put on a pot to boil this weekend then went outside to fiddle with my ribs on the grill. A few minutes later my wife popped her head out and, in quite the understatement, said I'd "almost" caused a disaster. I'd turned on the wrong burner and sitting on the hot one was my glass bottomed pepper grinder filled with red hot pepper coals and pumping spicy smoke into our house.

23 minutes ago, SeaBrisket said:

Might as well tell the story. My house came with one of those glass topped electric ovens that are too easy to treat as an extended countertop. I put on a pot to boil this weekend then went outside to fiddle with my ribs on the grill. A few minutes later my wife popped her head out and, in quite the understatement, said I'd "almost" caused a disaster. I'd turned on the wrong burner and sitting on the hot one was my glass bottomed pepper grinder filled with red hot pepper coals and pumping spicy smoke into our house.

I am chuckling because I have done pretty much the same thing. We had one of those hidden burner glass cook tops in our previous home. I too turned on the wrong burner, (unfortunately it was the quick heat burner) which just so happened to be under a plate and a dish towel. When I smelled the smoke I turned around from chopping veggies, just as the towel burst into flame. Major mess, and made me feel like one of those videos about dogs caught doing something wrong. Your not alone my friend. Good luck with your search for a new grinder. 

12 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I have a thing for pepper mills and have tried many over the years. So far the best I have found are made by Peugeot in France. The one I have is fully adjustable on numbered settings from 1 through 6. The grinding mechanism is case hardened steel. They are available in most quality kitchen stores but cost a bit more than the usual fare. The extra cost is worth it IMO. I have had mine for over 8 years and have had  no issues with it's operation or the wood cracking or splitting. It did get some mixed reviews on Amazon, that surprised me. Maybe I was just lucky, but based on my experience I would buy another one. 

I have this onehttps://www.amazon.com/Peugeot-23317-USelect-9-Inch-Natural/dp/B000RAC7U4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1550205454&sr=8-13&keywords=Peugeot+pepper+mill

After a few failures, we bought the Peugeots.  They are perfect.

One caution...don't use the multi-colored peppercorn blends.  Some of the corns are not truly peppercorns.  They're softer seeds of some sort and can plug grinding mechanisms.  Stick with black peppercorns.  We prefer Black Lampong, they grind well and seem more flavorful.

May get bombarded with stones for this, but we get the disposable pepper and salt grinders from Costco and have never had one fail prior to being empty.  Start with a new grinder roughly every year for pepper, much less often for salt, due to using mostly kosher for cooking.

I've presented the options to my wife, read many reviews, and for form and functionality we're going with either the Peugeot or the Zassenhaus, more likely the latter I think because we like the look. We want something that will last and is appropriate for the kitchen and dinner table. 

Thanks for the many suggestions! I hope this thread will be helpful to others. Just want to note that our previous grinder was the Kyocera Everything mill. I picked that up because it was suggested by Meathead. It was a decent grinder but I think a budget-minded pick. I never looked forward to having to grind out two tablespoons of pepper for a rub. Hopefully that burden will be eased a bit with our selection.