RevNayte

Chocolate Cheesecake with Strawberry Compote

Decided to try my hand at Kamado baking to enter my first challenge/make something nice for my wife for Valentine's Day. I worked from the New York Times Chocolate Cheesecake recipe. Because I'm much more of a cook than a baker, my basics were pretty much on-par with what's in the recipe. I set up in my Kamado classic at 250 on the grill extender with a water pan; it took about 2 hours rather than the 1 1/2 the recipe indicated. I finished this up on Monday night, and put the springform pan in my fridge. 

IMG_6497.thumb.jpg.8b709d2a1addbfc4f3754178f703f987.jpg

The thing I did that was actually creative was to make a smoked strawberry compote to finish the dish. I was making a reverse-seared ribeye for our main course, so I had the grill set up with some mesquite chunk and lump anyhow. I mixed about 3/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, tossed about a cup of sliced strawberries in them, and then put them on the top rack indirect at 280 for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

IMG_6496.thumb.jpg.5c652c494e29d1ee834d29034c9e2693.jpg

To serve, I popped the cheesecake out of the springform and spooned the strawberries over the top. After slicing, I spooned a little bit more of the strawberry syrup on each slice. The subtle smokiness of the strawberries really paired well with the chocolate, and we both loved it! 

IMG_6499.thumb.jpg.21cdc2f3eefe0e898fa71586152f35f0.jpg

Give it a try!

IMG_6498.thumb.jpg.08dc957a46463cba89326ccf1fa8413d.jpg

Wow, what a great cook and equally great entry. Looks very delicious. Really creative treatment of the strawberry compote, excellent idea.  Did the recipe call for 250 degrees, usually the cooking temp for  breads, pies, cornbread, and such is apron 350. Maybe that's the cause of your time differential. 

2 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Wow, what a great cook and equally great entry. Looks very delicious. Really creative treatment of the strawberry compote, excellent idea.  Did the recipe call for 250 degrees, usually the cooking temp for  breads, pies, cornbread, and such is apron 350. Maybe that's the cause of your time differential. 

it did call for 250, I think because it's a cheesecake. I think the time differential was the water pan, which was not called for but I thought was good if cooking in a Kamado vs a regular oven.