Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel

Valentines cook: Crab Crusted Prime Filet w/ Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus

For Valentines I decided to cook up Emeril Lagasse's crab crusted filets recipe along with prosciutto/cream cheese wrapped asparagus and some red skin mashed potatoes.

The filets:

IMG_3702.thumb.JPG.26c32c192adb5ca28c9e46a1fd397e7d.JPG

The crab meat:

IMG_3700.thumb.JPG.35ce7cbbd205c1b6741109757f9b7a0d.JPG

Asparagus:

IMG_3701.thumb.JPG.b22fbff1f02f929610db40741b012371.JPG

Searing the filets:

IMG_3703.thumb.JPG.7f70f2c719f8c267fd630cb5c598282c.JPG

Crab meat crust added:

IMG_3706.thumb.JPG.5b0ba7474a5d20487eba1bd5ebc46b76.JPG

Back on to the Kamado with the asparagus:

IMG_3707.thumb.JPG.395594b1ca30ea3356237a3ffb95a0e6.JPG

The table:

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.c88f339209f95cc5d12ece7dc1f3019f.JPG

Finis:

IMG_3711.thumb.JPG.16793f00f4a9edde656e0520e927c7e1.JPG

IMG_3712.thumb.JPG.216e85fbf2f32209093327f1b1d7b6f8.JPG

Well, I would say you knocked that Valentine’s Day dinner out of the park. I’m sure it was nothing short of a smashing success all the way around with your valentine.  Everything looked perfect. Even the table you set was amazing.  A+++

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Smokehowze
      So this weekend was a special occasion for Mrs. Smokehowze and the weekend got continued over into Monday when my son and I fixed one of her favorite meats.  Filet Mignon. These were sourced at Costco. We hunted through  the choice grade and found a package that compared to the prime grade in terms of marbling, etc.  A great deal at about half the price of the prime!   Cooked  on Big Joe at 550+ degrees by my son with a few thin soaked strips of hickory wood for just a hint of smoke.  Let the meat do the taking with just Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a dusting of imported Spanish Chiquilin 'Pimenton Picante' hot paprika. My son has experimented and discovered this paprika adds a subtle but very nice flavor dimension on the grilled meat.  I have pretty much turned over steak cooking on Joe to my son.  He can nail it every time to what folks like.   Nice when the apprentice becomes the master.  I did the inside cooking this time.  Delicious results overall!   Tender real meat flavor on the steak. 

Sides were  herb roasted pee-wee gold potatoes, stir fried snow peas /water chestnuts with a light Asian seasoning touch, garden fresh tomatoes and some fresh avocado.  Mrs. Smokehouse thoroughly enjoyed the meal and my grown daughter announced that filet mignon cooked on the Kamado had now become one of her new favorite meats.    Oh well!    Son and I had our fill also.   And the good thing is there are leftovers for another meal.  Yummm!

• By DerHusker
      Anybody who has eaten at a Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse has probably seen this dish served to someone. If you haven here is a Yelp pic that shows what it looks like.

Well it’s delicious and tonight I tried to recreate it here at home. Most of the ingredients are shown here:

Sorry but lot of these ingredients were for a Hollandaise Sauce that I made but due to the rushed nature of this cook I didn’t take any pics of that process. (I’ll post something at a later time)

I start out by prepping the asparagus by spraying them with a little OO and some fresh ground garlic sea salt and black pepper.

I put this on my kamado direct for around 2 minutes per side. I then moved them up to the top indirect rack to the right.

I prepped the Filet by spraying it with a little OO and the grinding on some fresh ground garlic sea salt and black pepper.

And then on the grill for 3 minutes per side.

I now put it on a serving platter and placed that on the top indirect rack to finish cooking and heat up the plate. (Something like what Ruth’s Chris does) After around 5 minutes I placed on 3 stocks of asparagus and approximately 1/2 cup of lump crab meat and cooked for another 4 to 5 minutes. (Sorry for the blurry pic)

I brought this in and poured on approximately 1/2 cup of the Hollandaise sauce, some parsley flakes and a pinch of Cayenne chili powder. I then folded up a towel to set the plate on so I wouldn’t burn our new table.

Here are the plated pictures with a Modern Times Oneida Hoppy Sessionable Pale Ale.

Money shot!

And the required fork shots!

Sooo Delicious!!!!   

• By Luv2Q
      Hello fellow KG members!

I wanted to take a moment to share the method that I like to use when grilling up steaks that are larger than 1.5" in thickness. As I'm sure most of you already know, there are a few methods for grilling a good, thick steak, but the reverse sear method is my go-to method because it has never failed me and my family and friends cannot get over how well my steaks taste and look. For those family members and friends that like their steaks finished any higher than medium, I have simply disowned them and unfriended them.

Since my wife is out of town with the boys getting ready for the next semester of college, I am home with my 15-year-old daughter, who just happens to be a steak lover. Last night, after some daddy-daughter shopping time, I asked her what she felt like eating for dinner and she (of course) said steak. Off we went to BJs and she decided on some beautiful, thick beef tenderloins. When she eats steak, she enjoys it with a plate of white rice, just like her mother does. Suffice to say that after daddy finished dinner last night, she had a huge smile on her face and a full tummy. I can never get enough when hearing her say that I'm the best dad in the world. Let's just say that this little one has me tightly wrapped around her finger!

Here are the money shots from last night...

Freshly cracked black pepper and Kosher salt - THAT'S IT! I let the salt work its magic for a minimum of 30 minutes before beginning the grilling process. A great indicator to look for is to begin cooking when the salt crystals have all dissolved.

Into the preheated grill they go! 225 degrees is my preferred grill temperature. I don't mind taking a little more time when it comes to trying to achieve the maximum level of tenderness. Some folks prefer a higher starting grill temperature and that's okay, but I like to stick with what has always worked for me.

Here they are, resting after first hitting an internal target temperature of 110 degrees, then searing each side for one minute (four times, to achieve the obligatory diamond char pattern) at a grill temperature of 800 degrees.

Finally, a shot of the the top-to-bottom medium-rare goodness that exemplifies what the reverse sear process is all about!

Enjoy the view and thank you for looking!
    • By BigSmoke
      Still getting a feel for cooking with a kamado so I decided to give the reverse sear a shot. I started with two 2" filet mignons, marinated over night in some steak spice, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, garlic and OVOO. Brought the KJ up to 250 - 260, steaks went over for roughly 40 mins, pulled them at 120 IT. While the steaks rested, I opened up the KJ and let the coals get red hot... threw the steaks back on for approx. 2 minutes per side (Flipping every minute). I ended up over shooting the ideal medium rare but the steaks were delicious and the crust was just awesome.

Lessons learned:
      1. The steaks needed to be closer to the coals for a proper sear (Using a lower rack or ensuring the fire box is full)
      2. Really let the coals get nuclear before throwing the steaks back on

• By karacooks
      First cook of the Snake River Farms steaks. I ordered the traditional cut ribeye for Z and the American Kobe filet for me. Z made a special request for gratin potatoes as a side. Here's how it all went down. 

Starting with a couple of gin and tonics while getting things set up:

Steaks with a little kosher salt and pepper. 

My recipe for gratin potatoes calls for parboiling the potatoes in cream first: 

On the grill at 300° on the diffuser, but wide open as the temps continued to rise:

Off the grill 20 mins later with the temp stabilized at 550°

I tried something a little different today. Instead of grill marks, I wanted that all over meaty, crusty, steakhouse sear. So I used the solid CI griddle half. Z's steak was on and off at about 2 mins per side. Mine, being thicker, took a little longer (actually more sides), so when I pulled his, I dropped a handful of baby asparagus next to my steak. 

While I was managing steaks, Z was pulling together our salads: Field greens, sliced strawberries, candied pecans, blue cheese, and a garlic-lemon vinaigrette:

The final plating: his ribeye, my filet, salads, and the fixin's 

Perfectly medium rare with a fantastic salty, meaty, slightly peppery crust:

Note on the SRF steaks: I LOVED my filet. It was absolutely melt in the mouth tender with that buttery texture in the rare areas that I love. Z took a bite of mine but found it almost *too* buttery and said that it almost gave him the mouthfeel of ground beef. I disagree ... but that's cool. He equally LOVED his ribeye, found it marbled just right and the amount of sear on the fat gave it that creamy mouthfeel that he thought was perfect. I liked his but it tasted a little too fatty to me. 

So, obviously it's all personal taste. It was kind of fun to share bites and talk about our personal preferences and how they affect the cuts we prefer. I am pretty sure I'll stick with the filet or something similar for future orders for me, but Z is now very much wanting to try a couple of different cuts. He wants to try a NY Strip and possibly a bone in prime rib over the holidays.

All in all, a very successful cook and meal tonight. 

Now I'm waiting for him to get home and text me that he made it ok. He is taking his daughter whitewater rafting on the Oconee tomorrow and I am hoping they have a fabulous time!!