MrT

Maintaining Temps

On 2/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, MrT said:

I appreciate all of the replies and advice!  However, can anyone say for sure if I should have to readjust my top and bottom dampers to get the heat to rise back up after I've opened and closed the lid? Without touching the damper settings, shouldn't the temperature had (eventually) gotten back up to the 270 where it was before opening the lid?  Or is it normal to have to readjust the dampers to bring the temp back up to where it was after I've opened and closed the lid?

I was able to get the temp back to where I needed it (and keep it stable), I just had to open the dampers up a little more.

Thanks again!

To directly answer your question, vent settings should recover. However, in a previous post you mentioned the issue arising after having put your heat deflector in. That deflector was not only cold, but changes the flow of air through the kamado, requiring minor adjustments to the vent settings. You will also find that if you have a dirty fire (or some really fatty meat, or both) your vents can gum up while cooking and cause restriction to your air flow. I'm not sure where you're located, but this is more of an issue in cooler climates where the top vent is more likely to be cold and cause condensing of vapors on the cap.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, MrT said:

... I've smoked 3 or 4 times since ... Y'all are right....  it just takes some patience.  I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm getting there.  Thanks again!

You're now a "practicing" Kamado owner, in the same sense a physician practices. The more you apply skills, the better you get. "100% there" is a red herring. 

HAve fun,

Frank

54 minutes ago, fbov said:

You're now a "practicing" Kamado owner, in the same sense a physician practices. The more you apply skills, the better you get. "100% there" is a red herring. 

HAve fun,

Frank

My physician doesn’t have to practice. He KNOWS it :-D