KismetKamado

Nashville-ish Hot Chicken Sandwich

The stars aligned and I unexpectedly landed myself some Lefty’s fish and chicken fry blend with the help of a friend.  I was super excited as there have been a few great posts lately touting how good Lefty’s is. I have just recently learned how to pan fry due to my obsession with fried green tomatoes..... and I was really looking forward to frying some chicken. And with all the hullabaloo about Nashville Hot Chicken lately, I thought I would attempt my spin on that.

First toasted up some Texas toast. Thankfully, I had leftover melted butter from my baklava and it was super easy to knock this out. 

19BBAEE1-DB0C-4B9E-8E4C-0E4D74EC0F7B.thumb.jpeg.1e64dec17f3bab9f46e2cd17039ccfbe.jpeg

Then on to the star of the show. 

09041321-15E6-41BD-AC62-C0FFFEB9BFE2.thumb.jpeg.9e9b286898bb6deb24805a0aa360da09.jpeg

Followed the package directions and then into a shallow layer of some avocado oil in a small enameled cast iron Dutch oven. 

6C045B27-BBC0-4731-BAED-2AF0041FC506.thumb.jpeg.a0ad346eeb73dda31ac0bd76a30380ca.jpeg

Meanwhile I put every kind of pepper powder I had in a dish along with some paprika. Heavy on the cayenne but also had chipotle, jalapeño and a few others in the pool. 

8B32D773-6EAC-4B02-9D92-ABC8FDEE9EEA.thumb.jpeg.56775a6067e230d6e985c887b90d09dc.jpeg

Once the chicken was done I pulled it and dumped all my spices in the residual oil. 

76592825-4846-4625-9BFD-0D5F04FEFCAF.thumb.jpeg.fd468d1eed1bc3014bdafb9edc3a9068.jpeg

Then I dunked the cooked chicken in the chile oil mixture turning a couple of times to thoroughly coat it. 

3FDD0BCF-EAA3-45FD-A934-5D9CD93375A7.thumb.jpeg.ecd8141b3bba858ebef7ac1d50969109.jpeg

Plated it up on the Texas toast with chipotle mayo and pickles. 

8EF85C5D-2223-41E1-9C83-4D1F6544B132.thumb.jpeg.b7cbfbacaeac54aaede7e8328077bcec.jpeg

This sandwich was nothing short of amazing.

1B6618FC-0E91-4E90-857D-1E8AC4383625.thumb.jpeg.623b6c25a1158ac1213674b72fbcaa06.jpeg

My husband really enjoyed it and said it was one of my best “off the wall” efforts lately.  I was also surprised with how good it was. There was some decent heat, but it wasn’t unpleasant at all. A really great sandwich and definitely something to do again. 

Kismet-

that looks damn tasty!

i too busted out my 1st Lefty's use this weekend... i used it on some swai and made fish tacos for my lovely bride, as she is deathly allergic to shellfish and it is hard to find a place that has fish-fish without also having shellfish on the menu...

i followed the package directions as well, and pan fried it on the stove... i'm still leery of oil on the grill, but think if i do it in a dutch oven, it will be safer due to the taller sides...

it went down as a hardcore 'keeper' as we call them...

i'll have to try your chicken method...

4 hours ago, TexasBlues said:

Kismet-

that looks damn tasty!

i too busted out my 1st Lefty's use this weekend... i used it on some swai and made fish tacos for my lovely bride, as she is deathly allergic to shellfish and it is hard to find a place that has fish-fish without also having shellfish on the menu...

i followed the package directions as well, and pan fried it on the stove... i'm still leery of oil on the grill, but think if i do it in a dutch oven, it will be safer due to the taller sides...

it went down as a hardcore 'keeper' as we call them...

i'll have to try your chicken method...

Glad to hear your experience was as good as ours. It’s going to be a keeper for us as well.  :)

And I can definitely see why you chose to do your own fish tacos. Food allergies are so scary and eating out must be nerve-wracking at times. 

And I am not sure I would ever bother with doing anything with oil like this on the grill unless I had no other choice.  I know some people do it, but I’m with you and am pretty leery. An oil fire is no joke and not worth the risk, if there is another option, in my opinion. 

That's a great looking cook. I'm sure it was fantastic. Maybe it's just me but when looking at the pictures the first time I thought it was peanut butter instead of the chipotle mayo which I am sure is great but something about the thought of peanut butter with all of that seems like something I need to try :-D

I wouldn't worry too much about oil it the dutch oven. If it did catch on fire you could either close the vents on the kamado or else close the lid on the dutch oven to snuff out the fire. It's safer in a kamado than in a gas grill or something not air tight. I would be however extra careful about opening the lid on the kamado with the oil in there because any flash over would be potentially more dangerous but of course we should always be careful opening kamados.

Happy cooking and thanks for sharing

The last few times I've been to Nashville I tried to go eat at Hattie B's but haven't been able to. It sucks living two hours away and never having the real deal but if I could make a sandwich like you've made I don't think it would matter, that looks amazing!