pmillen

Why do Recipes Call For Kosher Salt?

Thanks for the above links, Rick in Ontario especially the second one.  Here's a quote from it that we all need to consider, "In the BA Test Kitchen, we use Diamond Crystal kosher salt, which has a distinctly different texture from Morton's Kosher—another very common brand. Morton’s crystals are denser and more pebbly than Diamond’s flatter, pyramid-like crystals. That means that there’s actually more salt by weight in a cup of Morton's than there is in a cup of Diamond."

It gets more and more complicated.  As John Setzler wrote, the answer is to convert recipes from listing ingredients by volume to listing by weight.

Edited by pmillen

16 hours ago, Ogopogo said:

I forget where it was exactly but I've seen a long video of Wayne Mueller prepping briskets and he stated that his mix was 90% 16 mesh black pepper and 10% iodized table salt, and that he had to special order it just because it was hard for him to find (I assume in the quantities he needs).

This was interesting to me just because since it looks like his percentages were by volume, using small crystal salt instead of koshering salt changes the weight distribution between the salt and the pepper.

Here’s the video and the salt comment is around the 19 minute mark. And you are correct, I think; it’s tough to find iodized salt in the quantities that Mueller needs.