John Setzler

Adrenaline Barbecue Company Slow 'N Sear Kamado

Interesting but I would take everything presented in the video with a grain of salt. First this appears to me to be an attempt to sell kamados to the Weber crowd more than current kamados owners. There is nothing I have seen that I cannot already do with a D&C system and a firebox splitter. I was seeing a bit of value for those that are looking to upgrade to a ceramic until the phrase "...This is basically the Mercedes of kamados". Really!!! It appears to be a rebranded Auplex kamado with a unique grate system but I could be wrong. Not really a Mercedes and nothing really to pay $1499 US for in my opinion. But interesting spin though. 

Ok, I'm 4 minutes into this video and already convinced this guy doesn't know anything about Kamado Grills. "The fire is too far away from the meat to get a good sear"? not here. Also, other than the portability and price point of my grills possibly, I'm trying to think of a downside to owning a Kamado. Hmmmm, compared to every other grill /smoker I've owned. Hmmmm, can't think of one.

Interesting concept but I view it as a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. K.I.S.S. kamado cooking is in it's nature is a simple thing. I don't find the need to accessorize and re-invent something that works so well on it's own. $0.02

15 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Ok, I'm 4 minutes into this video and already convinced this guy doesn't know anything about Kamado Grills. "The fire is too far away from the meat to get a good sear"? not here. Also, other than the portability and price point of my grills possibly, I'm trying to think of a downside to owning a Kamado. Hmmmm, compared to every other grill /smoker I've owned. Hmmmm, can't think of one.

I agree. I was not going to spend 45 minutes looking at the whole thing. I think this is as far into the video I got before I stopped it.

I made it through
Here’s a summary of my thoughts as I was watching it:

5min in:

"You always have trouble getting a Kamado to create clean smoke and fire at low temps"
"With our Slow n Sear Kamado we don’t have this problem and it works perfectly"
"We have no data to back this up"

Not off to a good start…

10min in:
Personally, I don’t see how you cant achieve the same results in any brand Kamado with a cheap charcoal basket or a firebox divider, not to mention the KJ DnC does EXACTLY THE SAME THING while still offering much better cooking flexibility.
Hell, the SnS will fit in the Webber Summit Charcoal and do what this thing is apparently designed to do. Then there is the whole thing where you have option of removing the SnS, and using the traditional CI charcoal grate and extra heat deflector it comes with, making it exactly the same as a normal Kamado (which apparently doesn’t work very well..?)

20min in:
These “Custom Made” Kamados look a lot like the no name Chinese ones I see on Ebay…
Same Shape, Next and vents. Look a lot like a Pit Boss…

“The great thing about this set up is you don’t have to remove all your grates and water pan to add more charcoal”
Um… if youre using a full fire box rather than using this basket that only lets you fill it 1/3 of the way, you don’t need to add charcoal.

“Yeah, theres a lot of reasons its better”
Really? I’m yet to hear one? Oh, we’re moving on, ok…

“The Kamado world has gone nuts for accessories that try to do what the SnS does naturally and we’re not gonna make needless accessories”
You mean, like a glorified charcoal basket?

“We went with a 22inch Kamado because most Kamado companies prefer to make accessories that only fit their 18inch or 24inch grills”
You mean like you’re 22inch SnS and drip pan?
Wait a sec, isnt the Pit Boss Kamado 22inch?

25min in:
“Its hard to get a good smoke ring and anyone who has cooked on a Kamado knows this to be true”
Does it? Guess I missed the memo on that one…

“We went with a traditional spring hinge cause we all know a lot of those red Kamados have spring issues”
Wow, I’m missing all kinds of memos today…

“Its $1499 including shipping”
*falls off chair*

30min in:

“I’ve been testing this the fuel consumption and you’ll get a minimum of 10 hours from a load of charcoal”
That makes sense, its 1/3 of a regular firebox

“Big Green Eggs are so clunky and you cant get the fire close enough to the meat”
Has this guy ever used a Kamado before?

“You can get this thing up to temp in 30min. I start with half a chimney of charcoal and then set my vent”
Yeah, that’s how a Charcoal Chimney works…

“You can use the SnS in a Weber Summit but our vent design provides much better air flow than the Summit does”
Isnt the Summit Vent design the same as the Kettle… which the SnS was originally designed for?

Finished:

Yeah… I’m not sold

@Polar Bear I am right there with you on those conclusions and more.  I consider myself to be a seasoned kamado owner/cook.  I have seen Dave rail on kamados and kamado owners on multiple occasions.  I have never seen him cooking on one though.  Just about everything he said in that video about why his system is better than a typical kamado is just nonsense.  I don't have any issue with his product or his desire to sell it.  I just look at his sales pitch here with an educated perspective on kamado grills and very quickly see that he either (1) is ignorant about kamados or (2) doesn't care about that and is just looking for a viable way to promote his own system.  

I'm fine with the fact that he wants to sell a grill that supports his product.  I have no issues with that at all.  I encourage it.  I welcome him to the business.  I hope he is successful with it.  I just have to keep in mind that he doesn't understand kamados or how to cook on them.  Maybe I'll get lucky and Dave will see this.  I'll put MY steaks cooked on MY kamado grill up against his cold grate technique steaks on a blind taste test ANY DAY.  I'll put my brisket, butts, and ribs up against his any day also.  I know how to make a smoke ring as well.  It appears that Dave isn't very good at that either if he struggles to make one without his product or on a typical kamado grill.  

I say WHATEVER.  

The pan you use to to cook a meal may be nice or it may be junk or it may be just an average pan.  That pan in the hands of someone who knows how to use it a dangerous weapon.  

PS - I do not promote brand bashing on this site.  I am walking a fine line here on that.  My 'bash' here, if you consider it to be a bash, is on a marketing technique and my perceived view on this guy's lack of knowledge of the product.  So, Dave... welcome to the business!  If you get a few owners of your product on here I'll create a sub section for your grill too.

@polar Bear, I am so conflicted. On one level, I appreciate the exhaustive and informational review of the video. On another level, we need to get you some hobbies or something. If you could sit through that in its entirety, let me also recommend the movie, "The Road"... :-D:-D:-D

Also, my Kamado wants to know, "What is a water pan?" 

4 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

@polar Bear, I am so conflicted. On one level, I appreciate the exhaustive and informational review of the video. On another level, we need to get you some hobbies or something. If you could sit through that in its entirety, let me also recommend the movie, "The Road"... :-D:-D:-D

Also, my Kamado wants to know, "What is a water pan?" 

I got 5 min into it, heard the first lot of incorrect info and figured i'd see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I've watched a few videos on You Tube where people test the ADC products out against traditional Kettle set ups and 98% of the time there doesnt seem to be any advantage to the ADC products. Then you look through the comments and even the most unbias of videos outlining what can be achieved with standard kettle equipment is met with serious vitriol from Dave at ADC. I'm not a fan of the guy and the more i look into his "Must Have" kettle tools, the more he looks like a Snake Oil Salesman.

As John has already said, its not so much his products that i disagree with, its how he chooses to market them.

4 hours ago, prowe said:

I didn’t sit through the whole thing, but they mentioned Justin @Baby Back Maniac Might appear. Did he apppea? If so at what time? So I don’t have to sit through the whole thing. Would love to hear Justin chime in on this cooker. 

He did not
As Justin is a seasoned Kamado owner i would be very curious to see what he thinks of Daves claims in regards to how "difficult" kamados are to cook low and slow in, especially as I've seen videos where he's used the SnS in his Summit

I only lasted about 10 minutes.   It was clear he has never used a kamado.   Fire too far away to sear.     Here is the proof no issue searing at 350 or  500 F.    Here is some that I did.   I had no issue controlling temp between 225 to 275F.  Glad I found this site because it improved my knowledge and experience.   Now I am confident holding any temperature.     

5448D5D8-2B14-4F19-9218-EF0672066CB2.jpeg

CCA29EA4-744F-44D0-B97B-E7A72D7ED49C.jpeg

FDEA783E-8D36-4034-AE26-5500A77447C1.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

On 2/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, daninpd said:

When he's sitting in his bedroom with the beds in the background telling me he doesn't have the "data points" to back up what he's saying:  I believe him.  What a great backdrop to lend credibility to a load of BS.

giphy.gif

I forgot to mention the bedroom backdrop....