John Setzler

Adrenaline Barbecue Company Slow 'N Sear Kamado

I like to keep an open mind and wait for real world testing and reviews. The main issue I have with what he said is that you can use briquettes. It’s still a ceramic cooker. Additives in briquettes are not good for ceramic. Unless, the briquette is natural and has no additives. 

I will I’ll defend him on a couple of points. The old Big Joe is known to have had hinge problems. Also, he is not the only person to say that Kamados, more specifically, the Akorn, is too efficient and doesn’t burn cleanly. 

I have a  Akorn. Too be honest, I don’t like searing on it. 

Becasue i'm a bit of a Troll, i left a comment on his video explaining (nicely) that all the issues he outlined I've never experienced with either my KJ or BGE

His response was, and i quote, "As good as those Grills are... we're better"

Glad he settled that for me, i'm now sold...

On 2/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, daninpd said:

When he's sitting in his bedroom with the beds in the background telling me he doesn't have the "data points" to back up what he's saying:  I believe him.  What a great backdrop to lend credibility to a load of BS.

He said he's traveling.  That's obviously a hotel/Motel room.

His target population is not current kamado owners, it's primarily gas grill users that have been using wood chips to get the flavor they want.  The things he said...he probably believes them.  They'll resonate with that target population in the same way that the Traeger Road Show half truths and exaggerations sound good to Costco shoppers.

3 minutes ago, pmillen said:

He said he's traveling.  That's obviously a hotel/Motel room.

His target population is not current kamado owners, it's primarily gas grill users that have been using wood chips to get the flavor they want.  The things he said...he probably believes them.  They'll resonate with that target population in the same way that the Traeger Road Show half truths and exaggerations sound good to Costco shoppers.

Understood. But, don't you select either poolside, business center or restaurant as the backdrop anywhere but there. 

2 hours ago, Lensi said:

I like to keep an open mind and wait for real world testing and reviews. The main issue I have with what he said is that you can use briquettes. It’s still a ceramic cooker. Additives in briquettes are not good for ceramic. Unless, the briquette is natural and has no additives. 

I will I’ll defend him on a couple of points. The old Big Joe is known to have had hinge problems. Also, he is not the only person to say that Kamados, more specifically, the Akorn, is too efficient and doesn’t burn cleanly. 

I have a  Akorn. Too be honest, I don’t like searing on it. 

I am all for keeping an open mind but, this is a solution in search of a problem. I've owned my 1st BJ for three years now. So, all of the band issues pre-date me. At least offer that in the explanation- that those issues were corrected. And, you cannot proffer your $1500 kamado as a solution to issues present in the $200 to $400 price kamado but are not issues in the comparatively priced kamados. Doubt they are present in the ~$600 Pit Boss also.

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Becasue i'm a bit of a Troll, i left a comment on his video explaining (nicely) that all the issues he outlined I've never experienced with either my KJ or BGE

His response was, and i quote, "As good as those Grills are... we're better"

Glad he settled that for me, i'm now sold...

That's the assurance I needed also... :rofl:

I had some extra play money and was actually thinking about ordering this grill. I contacted Adrenaline BBQ Company for further information. They have a pre order sale going on for $1,420. Unfortunately they did not have any warranty information they could send me. Because of that I opted for a KJ and a BGE this week.

When it comes to smoke there's a few things that did stand out. I have a Weber Summit and 26.75" Weber Kettle. The smoke you get on both of these cookers is different when using the same amount of wood chunks.  My kettle seems to penetrate more smoke with less wood chunks. This has to do with the exhaust placement and also keep in mind there's no deflector when using the Kettle so smoke gets on the meat a lot easier. My Kettle also has it's exhaust over to one side, usually where the food is so because the air and smoke has to travel onto the direction of the meat before it exits, it's able to penetrate better than my Weber Summit. The Slow n' Sear works best when used with a kettle. I'm not sure this translates over kamado's well. I say this because if I place my charcoal over to one side of my Summit the smoke is even less noticable than when I place my fire under my deflector directly under my food, just like most kamado cookers have to be set up for smoking. The smoke will rise from the fire and  creep up the walls and out the exhaust completely missing the food. That's why the new Kamado Joe's have a hyperbolic chamber. It'll help the distribution of heat and smoke more evenly.  This isn't really an issue with kamado grills but rather an improvement KJ made. But If you want more smoke flavor, all you have to do is add more chunks and you should be fine. 

The second thing I noticed was a little alarming. I see that the Slow n' Sear is off to one side of the kamado that only has one layer of ceramic. Its literally banked over to the exterior wall. Ceramic grills all use a firebox and fire ring to protect the exterior of the cooker and fireboxes and fire ring aren't uncommon to crack. Because of this I can see the exterior wall where the Slow n' Sear is placed cracking with time. 

For all the people asking if Dave has used a kamado, yes he has. If you go onto his channel there's a few videos he has made using a Slow n' Sear along with a Weber Summit. I strongly feel this is where he got his idea. If I was to buy a Slow n' Sear for my Summit it would work exactly the same like his new kamado.

These are all my thoughts without using this cooker of course but I hope Dave does have a great product in the end and is successful but for now, I'll pass. 

2 hours ago, JP217P said:

For all the people asking if Dave has used a kamado, yes he has. If you go onto his channel there's a few videos he has made using a Slow n' Sear along with a Weber Summit. I strongly feel this is where he got his idea. If I was to buy a Slow n' Sear for my Summit it would work exactly the same like his new kamado.

I'd have to argue that point.  While the weber summit is a lot like a kamado in basic design, it's a LOT DIFFERENT than a ceramic kamado.  It does not behave or respond much like a ceramic kamado at all.  It has no thermal mass.  It's gonna behave more like a Bubba Keg or an Akorn in terms of thermal mass.  It's an entirely different process.

I'm surprised that ABC can't tell you what the warranty is gonna be on that grill.  I can't imagine buying anything like that in advance of knowing what the warranty would be.  

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'd have to argue that point.  While the weber summit is a lot like a kamado in basic design, it's a LOT DIFFERENT than a ceramic kamado.  It does not behave or respond much like a ceramic kamado at all.  It has no thermal mass.  It's gonna behave more like a Bubba Keg or an Akorn in terms of thermal mass.  It's an entirely different process.

I'm surprised that ABC can't tell you what the warranty is gonna be on that grill.  I can't imagine buying anything like that in advance of knowing what the warranty would be.  

After cooking on both and owning both, I wouldn't say it's all that different. It's different because they aren't made of the same material but how you get to food on the table is very similar.  I think Weber found a way to emulate the thermal mass of a ceramic cooker through it's double wall design very well. 

I too thought it was strange that pre-orders were available but not the warranty information. It's a gamble I'm not willing to take. 

2 hours ago, JP217P said:

After cooking on both and owning both, I wouldn't say it's all that different. It's different because they aren't made of the same material but how you get to food on the table is very similar.  I think Weber found a way to emulate the thermal mass of a ceramic cooker through it's double wall design very well. 

I too thought it was strange that pre-orders were available but not the warranty information. It's a gamble I'm not willing to take. 

You may need to revisit this once you actually own and have used a ceramic kamado as John mentions.

Also, no one can criticize you or anyone for anything you are interestied in purchasing. I would point out that this thread features several experienced and actual kamado owners who have expressed serious concerns regarding factual errors and mischaracterizations in Dave's pitch: including the idea that the Slow N Sear is necessary for Kamado owners to produce a sear in the first place.

6 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

You may need to revisit this once you actually own and have used a ceramic kamado as John mentions.

Also, no one can criticize you or anyone for anything you are interestied in purchasing. I would point out that this thread features several experienced and actual kamado owners who have expressed serious concerns regarding factual errors and mischaracterizations in Dave's pitch: including the idea that the Slow N Sear is necessary for Kamado owners to produce a sear in the first place.

Most of his products are really convenient, comments like the one you said Dave mentioned are unnecessary. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:10 AM, JP217P said:

I had some extra play money and was actually thinking about ordering this grill. I contacted Adrenaline BBQ Company for further information. They have a pre order sale going on for $1,420. Unfortunately they did not have any warranty information they could send me. Because of that I opted for a KJ and a BGE this week.

When it comes to smoke there's a few things that did stand out. I have a Weber Summit and 26.75" Weber Kettle. The smoke you get on both of these cookers is different when using the same amount of wood chunks.  My kettle seems to penetrate more smoke with less wood chunks. This has to do with the exhaust placement and also keep in mind there's no deflector when using the Kettle so smoke gets on the meat a lot easier. My Kettle also has it's exhaust over to one side, usually where the food is so because the air and smoke has to travel onto the direction of the meat before it exits, it's able to penetrate better than my Weber Summit. The Slow n' Sear works best when used with a kettle. I'm not sure this translates over kamado's well. I say this because if I place my charcoal over to one side of my Summit the smoke is even less noticable than when I place my fire under my deflector directly under my food, just like most kamado cookers have to be set up for smoking. The smoke will rise from the fire and  creep up the walls and out the exhaust completely missing the food. That's why the new Kamado Joe's have a hyperbolic chamber. It'll help the distribution of heat and smoke more evenly.  This isn't really an issue with kamado grills but rather an improvement KJ made. But If you want more smoke flavor, all you have to do is add more chunks and you should be fine. 

The second thing I noticed was a little alarming. I see that the Slow n' Sear is off to one side of the kamado that only has one layer of ceramic. Its literally banked over to the exterior wall. Ceramic grills all use a firebox and fire ring to protect the exterior of the cooker and fireboxes and fire ring aren't uncommon to crack. Because of this I can see the exterior wall where the Slow n' Sear is placed cracking with time. 

These are all my thoughts without using this cooker of course but I hope Dave does have a great product in the end and is successful but for now, I'll pass. 

Yes, the SnS does sit on top of the firebox. Instead on placing the grilling grate closer to the fire, the fire is brought closer to the grilling grate. Maybe the designer feels the stainless steel wall of the SnS protects the ceramic wall? That is a question I’m sure that will be asked to Dave. 

I sometimes put a charcoal basket on top of a 17 inch Weber charcoal grate in my Akorn. But, the baskets are well away from the wall, it is not ceramic, and the Akorn is cheap. It is my beater cooker. 

6 hours ago, Lensi said:

Yes, the SnS does sit on top of the firebox. Instead on placing the grilling grate closer to the fire, the fire is brought closer to the grilling grate. Maybe the designer feels the stainless steel wall of the SnS protects the ceramic wall? That is a question I’m sure that will be asked to Dave. 

I sometimes put a charcoal basket on top of a 17 inch Weber charcoal grate in my Akorn. But, the baskets are well away from the wall, it is not ceramic, and the Akorn is cheap. It is my beater cooker. 

I love the Akorn Kamado. I hope you're enjoying it. 

Only with time we'll know if the Slow n' Sear basket will be enough to protect the outter wall of the kamado. 

So if I have this right– the premise here is that we should totally disregard the ability of our kamados to drop a grate nearer to fire, in favor of purchasing a $120 basket that raises the fire in an attempt to duplicate what dropping a grate in the first place would have accomplished, thus bringing the fire closer to the outter wall of the kamado, which may or may not possibly damage the wall of the kamado, which the Slow n' Sear may prevent, while also being the cause of the problem...

No thanks

i happen to know that Dave is quite a smart fellow. I am a big fan of Dave and Adrenaline BBQ; they have some awesome products, some of which I use regularly.

That being said, I think he did a terrible job on this video. I agree that the folksy way he did it, with the bedroom in the background, was ridiculous. Even with liking Dave and some of his products, I could not watch all of this video. I will be interested to see if he has enough following to get this product off the ground. $1500 for a 22.5" kamado seems like an awful lot to me. I'm actually quite happy with my Akorn, and the mods I did to it. If I could afford $1500, I would buy a Weber Summit. (with all due respect to you ceramic owners. ) :)

Actually, come to think of it, if I could afford $1500, I would probably save it, and wait to buy a Komodo Kamado. :-D

But I digress. I don't see myself looking to buy the Slow 'n Sear kamado any time soon.

I didn’t watch this video and don’t have an opinion cuz there won’t be a new grill in my back yard but I just happened to watch this video on you tube yesterday and this guy is pretty legit.  He even won the kamado joe classic when John had the burger contest a couple of years ago

the only part of this video I didn’t agree with was his access net that a kamado can’t sear, but everyone is entitled to their opinion

On 2/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, prowe said:

I didn’t sit through the whole thing, but they mentioned Justin @Baby Back Maniac Might appear. Did he apppea? If so at what time? So I don’t have to sit through the whole thing. Would love to hear Justin chime in on this cooker. 

I don't have a ton of thoughts on it. It was a big "meh" for me at first because like Packer said it looks a lot like every other Auplex kamado. Then I watched the same video you guys did and realized it uses better ceramics and 304 hardware which are both important to me. Also it's a lot bigger than I realized. That said aside from a few texts exchanges with Dave who (full disclosure is a friend of mine), I got most of my information from that video like you guys which I watched the next day. 

Hoping to see it next week at the HPBExpo here in Dallas. Sorry I don't have more to say at this point.