Jump to content

John Setzler

Adrenaline Barbecue Company Slow 'N Sear Kamado

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

 

I don't have a ton of thoughts on it. It was a big "meh" for me at first because like Packer said it looks a lot like every other Auplex kamado. Then I watched the same video you guys did and realized it uses better ceramics and 304 hardware which are both important to me. Also it's a lot bigger than I realized. That said aside from a few texts exchanges with Dave who (full disclosure is a friend of mine), I got most of my information from that video like you guys which I watched the next day. 

Hoping to see it next week at the HPBExpo here in Dallas. Sorry I don't have more to say at this point. 

Thanks for the reply, man. It’s been awhile since I seen ya here. Don’t be a stranger, your posts and videos are awesome. Hope to hear from ya again soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

 

I don't have a ton of thoughts on it. It was a big "meh" for me at first because like Packer said it looks a lot like every other Auplex kamado. Then I watched the same video you guys did and realized it uses better ceramics and 304 hardware which are both important to me. Also it's a lot bigger than I realized. That said aside from a few texts exchanges with Dave who (full disclosure is a friend of mine), I got most of my information from that video like you guys which I watched the next day. 

Hoping to see it next week at the HPBExpo here in Dallas. Sorry I don't have more to say at this point. 

 

If I remember correctly (I only watched the very begining credits) he mentioned you by name implying you would be in the video endorsing the product. Why would he do that if you really don't know anything about it? I can't imagine you would want your name (and reputation) thrown around like that. 

 

I actually fast forwarded through the video and stopped about 10 times trying to see what you had to say (because I value your opinion). Obviously from your post you weren't in that video. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckreef said:

 

If I remember correctly (I only watched the very begining credits) he mentioned you by name implying you would be in the video endorsing the product. Why would he do that if you really don't know anything about it? I can't imagine you would want your name (and reputation) thrown around like that.  

 

Actually, the only time Justin was mentioned directly was when someone said he'd be joining the stream at some point.

Dave did mention he was planning on getting a few grills out to people for review but he didnt mention any names or anyone who was "endorsing" the grill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

If I remember correctly (I only watched the very begining credits) he mentioned you by name implying you would be in the video endorsing the product. Why would he do that if you really don't know anything about it? I can't imagine you would want your name (and reputation) thrown around like that. 

 

I actually fast forwarded through the video and stopped about 10 times trying to see what you had to say (because I value your opinion). Obviously from your post you weren't in that video. 

 

 

 

Hey Charles,

He never asked me to be in that video. Steve asked me to help moderate in the chat, but I had stuff going on (I think my son had tennis) and couldn’t commit to it. That may have been what he was talking about.  

 

The only other time I remember him mentioning me was when he said I said the Summit was a minivan...and then he said his grill is a Mercedes. I said the minivan thing MONTHS ago and I meant in a positive context...I find it to be insanely convenient with everything I need but 14 cup holders. Lol. I could see how him going on and describing his grill as a Mercdedes may have sounded like I was endorsing it but that part was his words, not mine. That was a completely different conversation. 

 

In fact a huge reason I wasn’t  interested is because I love my Summit and frankly I’ve got an embarrassment of riches right now with kamados (thankful) and don’t really need another. Once I told him that, he respected it and we didn’t talk about the grill much. He send me pictures of cooks  and the emblem and stuff but like I said I learned most of what I know from that video.  In retrospect I probably should have listened a little more beforehand but frankly i’ve had a really rough six months so I’ve been focusing a lot of my family and personal stuff.  

 

I will say this. One thing about Dave is he is very thorough. He extensively tests everything and usually invests pretty heavy in prototypes and he’s really picky. Whatever they end up coming out with will not be half baked. 

I’m looking forward to seeing him and the cooker next week. I know Rus seems to really like his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

 

Actually, the only time Justin was mentioned directly was when someone said he'd be joining the stream at some point.

Dave did mention he was planning on getting a few grills out to people for review but he didnt mention any names or anyone who was "endorsing" the grill

 

He said I’d be IN the video? I must have totally missed it. Do you happen to have time stamp on that?

Yeah, right now I do not have a review unit. That could change at the Expo next week if I fall in love with it and Dave doesn’t want to haul one back, but that’s not the plan right now. Frankly, Dave doesn’t need me to review it. He’s working with some huge youtube channels these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

 

He said I’d be IN the video? I must have totally missed it. Do you happen to have time stamp on that?

Yeah, right now I do not have a review unit. That could change at the Expo next week if I fall in love with it and Dave doesn’t want to haul one back, but that’s not the plan right now. Frankly, Dave doesn’t need me to review it. He’s working with some huge youtube channels these days. 

 

It was at the very begining maybe within the first 3 or 4 minutes as that's about as long as I watched. That's when I started fast forwarding looking for you. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

It was at the very begining maybe within the first 3 or 4 minutes as that's about as long as I watched. That's when I started fast forwarding looking for you. 

 

 

 I just re-watched it. All they said was I may be in the chat...Which is where I left it was Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks.  I see a lot of shade thrown on my hotel room.  Next time I'll have a cocktail by the pool instead, though they'd probably run me off when I set up my equipment.  :lol:  Anyways, I was on the road for work and the video was/is mainly intended to address all of the questions and interest we've been getting from our customers.  We will have more professional videos and content soon.  I do these live feeds quite often.  They're meant to be low key and gives me a chance to have more personal connection with our customers, which I enjoy being able to do.   I'll briefly hit on a couple of points then if anyone else has questions, just fire away!

 

- In regards to the warranty information, that can be found here:  https://abcbarbecue.com/product/kamado-pre-order/ but includes lifetime ceramics and 10 year on our Slow 'N Sear and related components.

 

- About our ceramics... They are exceptional, really, really exceptional.  Our Kamados are custom made to our specifications.  We own the molds.  The design has several patents issued or in process.  Our bisque firing temperature is over 1280˚ C, glaze firing at 1170 ˚C, and composition is 50% cordierite.  The bisque firing alone goes on for 12 hours so we get all moisture out.  We use automated gas ovens for precise temperature control.  Those are industry leading facts.

 

- As far as performance, it's phenomenal.  Independent reviews will be coming in soon but we discuss many of the reasons we're better in the pre-order link above.

 

OK, glad to be here, what would you like to chat about?

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Parrish said:

OK, glad to be here, what would you like to chat about?

 

Thanks for being here. I hope your product does well for you and your family, genuinely. I am not going to troll you.

 

But, there have been several inconsistencies pointed out in this forum regarding statements you made in the above video regarding the performance of kamados. Namely, this idea that kamados, in general cannot sear. Speaking as as owner of two KJ's specifically, this is untenable. This forum is replete with posts of individuals searing on their respective Kamado's. So, of course, I'm not asking you to defend the indefensible. Just suggesting that in the future you might either want to clarify if you are talking about Akorns specifically or some other brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I said Kamados can't sear.  I said we sear better using less fuel.  Here's an example.

 

In this image you can see the heat is very close to the meat.  We use the cold grate technique so we can do this, and have flames, without burning the steaks. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_56db.thumb.jpg.886fff951884435bba05307612d11264.jpg

 

End result you can see we have a nice Maillard reaction.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_56da.thumb.jpg.191331d81e1ecb1258a3292bc42dd343.jpg

 

And here you see we can do this without overcooking the interior.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_56ea.thumb.jpg.b0533a3b87669fa1abf268a326345129.jpg

 

Please note these aren't professional photos, just me and my iPhone, so please don't hate on my photography. 

 

Oh, and the indirect side of the grill is still at baking/roasting temperatures, so you don't have to get the whole grill up to super hot temps to achieve these results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking steak, no doubt... But, as @packer01 has said...

 

On 2/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, packer01 said:

There is nothing I have seen that I cannot already do with a D&C system and a firebox splitter. 

 

And thanks for the mention of the cold grate technique. Wasn't aware of that. Still, totally replicable by simply spinning the D&C system on my grill. Look, I wish you well Dave... I was just suggesting to maybe sharpen some of the claims and criticisms you make in your pitch as you sell your product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Great looking steak, no doubt... But, as @packer01 has said...

 

 

And thanks for the mention of the cold grate technique. Wasn't aware of that. Still, totally replicable by simply spinning the D&C system on my grill. Look, I wish you well Dave... I was just suggesting to maybe sharpen some of the claims and criticisms you make in your pitch as you sell your product.

 

Thanks.  And yes we're working on what you suggest. More to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...