bosco

A chicken wing milestone... Traeger edition!!

Where do I even begin....

Honestly.....

I have seen these types of comments a million times, and I have said it myself just as many times.  

Today..... well today is different and I am once again about to post that I have made the best (chicken wings) that I have ever made.  

Sure sure sure we have heard it all before.  But I want to share this technique with all of you because it is as close to deep fried wings that I have ever had on the grill.  

I live very very close to buffalo and consider myself a chicken wing aficionado.  I have had about every type of chicken wing that you could imagine and have been really enjoying the lemon pepper these days.   

So today I decided to experiment and I came up with a wing that was the very best that I have produced to date.  

Here is what I did:

shook the wings with AP flour to coat them.  Let them sit while my Traeger heated up.  

45 minute cook at 165° on super smoke 

45 minutes cook at 350°

15 minute cook at 425°

these came off the grill crispy like a deep fried wing.  They had a crunch to them and incredibly juicy with smoke penetration on the meat.  

Put them in a bowl and hit them with with a half squeeze of lemon.  Then a liberal coating of lemon pepper seasoning.  

I still cant get over how incredibly deliscious these were.   You can see how golden brown they turned out.  

F9E458E7-9D89-42D7-9C48-91538EBD763B.thumb.jpeg.3e603264e75dbc283c42498a0151229d.jpeg

Made another batch with my home made poultry rub and they came out really good as well.  The colour on them were top notch.  

E2197B0C-C14E-4894-BB85-6446D617B79C.thumb.jpeg.83528fd2eb82b4552a1db8ee33339220.jpeg

If you are looking for a great wing idea give these a go.  

I love some good crispy chicken wings, and those look great! I prefer them rubbed up not sauced. May give those time and temps a try this weekend.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Those look as awesome as most everything you cook :)

Do you season the flour with anything?  

Thanks so much man.... considering you got me into cooking, I take that as a high compliment my friend!!!

I didn’t for two reasons. 

1.  It may sound odd, however, I find when I season wings the seasoning tastes different and throws me off a bit.  I love seasonings and rubs but just find with wings the flavour is odd....

2.  I was trying to replicate lemon pepper wings I had and again lemon pepper cooked is different than fresh.  So I wanted the fresh hit like these wings I tried a few weeks ago.  Cooked them with just a dusting of flour and then squeezed with fresh lemon.  Then hit with a liberal coating of lemon pepper. 

45 minutes ago, O C said:

I love some good crispy chicken wings, and those look great! I prefer them rubbed up not sauced. May give those time and temps a try this weekend.

The fresh squeezed lemon and the uncooked lemon pepper was so tangy.  We crushed them so fast.  

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

They look good but I really liked your shot glass wings better ;)

I forgot about those. But they were cooked with pork rinds.  These were..... dare I say it!!!!!! Better! 

I’m going to try and duplicate this tonight on the kamado. I understand I’m going to have to mess with the temp and times a bit b/c 165 isn’t a temp i’ve ever sustained with this grill...probably more like 200-215 for 30 minutes and then 325 for 45 and then ramp it up. 

As I’m imagining doing this, in order to best replicate what you achieved on a pellet grill, I should be planning to cook indirect the whole time? Correct?

2 hours ago, dirty6 said:

I’m going to try and duplicate this tonight on the kamado. I understand I’m going to have to mess with the temp and times a bit b/c 165 isn’t a temp i’ve ever sustained with this grill...probably more like 200-215 for 30 minutes and then 325 for 45 and then ramp it up. 

As I’m imagining doing this, in order to best replicate what you achieved on a pellet grill, I should be planning to cook indirect the whole time? Correct?

I would say Yes.

13 hours ago, dirty6 said:

Indirect yes.  Sorry I just got this.  I always did chicken wings indirect on my Kamado. 

How did they turn out?  From the photo they were looking pretty good!!

7 hours ago, bosco said:

How did they turn out?  From the photo they were looking pretty good!!

The wings were great. Slightly over done. When I took that pic, it was just at the end of the 350 degree phase. They were reading 170-185. I probably should have pulled them then. Instead, I cranked it up to 425...and it ran to 470 or so. I only left them on 10 more minutes and they crisped up perfectly, but they also lost a lot of moisture and mass. None of them were actually dry, but they were clearly past proper.

I imagine if I had reduced the time at 350 by about 15 minutes I would have been solid. Just need to play around with it and lock in what works with my grill setup. 

But there’s no doubt, the method works great. Wifey sauced em up with some Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo cut with pure maple syrup. Best wings I’ve made on the kamado, and I’ve tried about a half dozen different efforts. 

AD725AFB-90FA-4546-8423-C72FF1A22970.jpeg

those look fantastic.  

A true sign of a good cook is being able to adjust like you have stated.  Those look killer regardless, and once you adjust the next will only be that much better!!

Great job bud