Sign in to follow this  
just4fn

Sous Vide pork fail

My sister sous vide 4 pork chops about 1 inch thick.  She cooked them at 145 for 2.5 hours per instructions.  She said they came out very dry, almost inedible.  Do you think she should have sous-vide them at 130 degrees instead?  That is what I think.  Is this where she went wrong or could it just be the pork? . 

22 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

My first question is what kind of chops?

Pork loin chops?  I guess I didn't know there are different type of pork chops. 

The type of chop was likely the problem.

Pork loin (and chops) are very lean.  No fat, no connective tissue etc.  They are not the type of cut I would consider a good candidate for sous vide because you can cook them so quickly with numerous other methods very easily.

For a loin chop like that, I would probably brine (for both moisture and flavour), and then hit a hot grill for 4-5 minutes per side until about 145 inside with a bit of glaze etc.

145 is too hot for a dry cut of pork. 131-135 is where like them but some people won’t eat rare or medium rare pork even if it has been pasteurized by SV.  In those cases I go to 140, but it is already too hot. 

As for the the above comment, I couldn’t disagree more. Lean pork is a perfect candidate for SV because it is so difficult to cook them through evenly without over cooking using other methods. Plus you can cook to a much lower temp and still fully pasteurize. 

In "general" terms for cooking a whole tenderloin I agree.  Pork chops have no business being near sous vide IMO.  Grilled all the way!  At 145 finished temperature they are still nicely pink and juicy.