I decided to make a summer meal favourite to shake the winter blues with 4 weeks of cold miserable weather.  Grilled Mango Chicken and Farro.  This was actually a very labour intense meal with a lot of prep work being done in the morning.  

I used my Vitamix blender to make a mango sauce and marinade for the chicken.

Mango Sauce (Blended)

- 1/2 cup of Chicken Broth

- 1//2 of Orange Juice 

- 3 cloves of Garlic 

- 3 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger 

- 1 Knorr Gelitan Bullion Cup (don’t use cubes)

- Cup of Fresh Mango

Cook in a Pot later

- Add 3 1/2 teaspoon of Cornstarch in cold water add to thicken sauce as you cook it over the stove.

Marinade Blended 

- 1 Cup of Pineapple

- 1 Cup of Chicken Broth

- 1/4 cup of Burbon of your choice 

- 3 teaspoons of brown sugar 

- 1/2 cup of Mango 

- A sprinkle of Dizzy Pig Pineapple Rub

Ser Chicken in Fridge for 8 hours or more in Marinade  

The Instant Pot was used for the Farro.  The Chicken was spun at 400 F on the Big Joetisserie.  The Vegetables, Purple onions, diced mango and red peppers were done in Lodge double handle pan and the Zucchini was grilled next door to the pan.  The light reflecting off the snow banks makes the Zuchinni glow like it’s radio active.  Relax it’s just a bizzare lighting effect cause by my led lighting and reflections from a high pile of snow behind the grill as pictured below.  The result is oddly glowing nuclear Zucchini when photographed.    

I plated everything up in layers like a professional chef topping it off with a dash of fresh cilantro.  This was a marathon.  The combination of an Instant Pot, a Kamado Joe and a Vitamix did make things a little easier.  I can imagine it would’ve taken another hour without the Vitamix and Instant Pot in the mix. 

468408FD-E245-4FE1-B3AB-2A284F75C265.jpeg

B80E43BC-CD25-4220-8F74-CF4A9B747A0C.jpeg

F0FDA18C-9340-4B5F-90E8-04E2F81B8C40.jpeg

082C8A84-D975-4B7B-95A6-E6F5077FC3DA.jpeg

E5C90BBD-6C0E-4E7C-86A8-71DB16BC5C03.jpeg

DBD5860E-882E-4138-A13B-4E4F3114E1F6.jpeg

6465F878-183E-439B-9E67-E89ECF38B045.jpeg

I like the zucchini :) and the finished plate looks great

Seems like we always buy vidalia onions,  bought a purple onion the other day decided I need to get them more often, great flavor! Sometime a little change makes a difference!

8 minutes ago, O C said:

I like the zucchini :) and the finished plate looks great

Seems like we always buy vidalia onions,  bought a purple onion the other day decided I need to get them more often, great flavor! Sometime a little change makes a difference!

Keep in mind that this time of year you are probably buying a sweet onion but not a true Vidalia onion. Most people don't realize this but check this out from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"For an onion to be labeled “Vidalia” it must be grown in a specified region that includes 13 counties and portions of seven others, all in Georgia. We’re so proud of these onions we’ve named them Georgia's official state vegetable.

Vidalia onion season typically runs from the middle of April through early September. You can count on onion availability in early spring; how long they’ll be in the stores is totally dependent on each year’s crop. With fewer onions harvested, you may have trouble finding them in the stores come August. Lots of onions? Then they should be for sale until September."

11 minutes ago, O C said:

You are probably right, I think sometimes they are just labeled 'sweet onion' not sweet vidalia onion. 

Not really a big deal but I've seen a lot of people over the years call a generic sweet onion a Vidalia onion. I figured most people don't realize how "special" a true Vidalia onion is. I live 67 miles from Vidalia, GA. I've been to the onion festival. (did I actually just admit that? LOL). 67 miles away and I can't even grow a true Vidalia onion, my county got left out of the official growing list. 

Edited by ckreef

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

Keep in mind that this time of year you are probably buying a sweet onion but not a true Vidalia onion. Most people don't realize this but check this out from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"For an onion to be labeled “Vidalia” it must be grown in a specified region that includes 13 counties and portions of seven others, all in Georgia. We’re so proud of these onions we’ve named them Georgia's official state vegetable.

Vidalia onion season typically runs from the middle of April through early September. You can count on onion availability in early spring; how long they’ll be in the stores is totally dependent on each year’s crop. With fewer onions harvested, you may have trouble finding them in the stores come August. Lots of onions? Then they should be for sale until September."

I like purple onions for anything with fruit flavours in the sauce.  It has a bright flavour that stands out.  

The flavour of Sweet onion gets lost in a sweet fruity sauce.  The purple onion adds a little punch.  I always prefer purple onion in sweet & sour sauces for the added vibrancy. 

3 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I like purple onions for anything with fruit flavours in the sauce.  It has a bright flavour that stands out.  

The flavour of Sweet onion gets lost in a sweet fruity sauce.  The purple onion adds a little punch.  I always prefer purple onion in sweet & sour sauces for the added vibrancy. 

That's an interesting observation. I'll have to remember that for future use.