Thunder77

Help! I Can't Choose

Kamado gurus, I need help. I have an opportunity to buy either a Vision Pro Series kamado, or a Kamado Joe Classic.  The price tags: KJ Classic: $725. Vision Pro: $600.

From what I hear, both are great grills. The KJ Classic is slightly smaller, at 18" diameter. The Vision is 22" diameter. Both have 2-level cooking grates. Both have a stand and drop-down side shelves.

Both are brand new, never used. I am inclined to go with the Vision Pro, due to the larger size and lower price tag.  I would like to hear from any owners of either grill. Or anyone who has an opinion! :)

Thanks!

If only between those two choices, go with the Kamado Joe. You’ll be much happier with it’s grate setup.

Or if your near a sams club pick up a vision classic B from there, full price 499 but if your patient, you can wait for it to be on sale.

or pick up a used one, just as good and buy the new things you’d like (ie grate, custom table).

Some people have had problems with that drawer assembly not sealing up well on the Vision Pro Series.  And some people love theirs to pieces. Might just do a little homework on it for what you would find appealing or annoying about it. 

I wouldn't let the slight price difference steer your shopping.  These can be lifetime purchases if maintained correctly.  Regardless of which you choose, I would look at the features you want, the warranty, and then the price.  Ceramic grills do break and replacing fire boxes can be expensive.  Good warranty and support go a long way.

Get the Joe because that's what I did ;)  

Seriously though, either one will work just fine.  I went with simple, functional, low maintenance, and well reviewed.  The fact that my grill went on sale when I had extra cash in hand, and it was red, put it over the top.

I think the Joe has a more sturdy hinge but they both have good warranty and customer service.  They both also have a good selection of accessories with the Joe offering a few extras (will you ever want a rotisserie?).  Many accessories will fit any kamado.  Consider size, color, feature and price.  Most importantly is to get one so you can start kooking. 

I'd buy 2 Akorns with that money...

The way I figure it is I've had my current Akorn for about 4 years now and it shows no sign of wear.

If I can get another 4 years out of it then that's 8 total.

Stay with me now... so if I could buy 2 more that would be an additional 16 years worth.

I figure I got 5, maybe 7 good years left on me, so I'd come out way ahead...

Get the Joe over a Vision.  Some many of us at KG are solid (a few blips here and there-various stuff) with the unit and warranty.

I had an Akorn (a fine grill), and it is non ceramic with different steel clad properties/build and a low price.  I moved on to  a 2017 KJ Classic.

M.

When i bought my Eggs nearly a decade ago they IMO were the only choice. 

The KJ lineup improvement since then is insane. The warranty, seal, hinge system, divide and conquer, new hyperbolic insert for the 2019 models etc 

Id step up for the D&C system. My large egg is the same size 18” grill and the second level and multiple zones is something I had to add aftermarket and i never find myself using the stock single grid near the gasket configuration. Ribs, brisket, pork shoulders or large amount of chicken wings and you’ll want the second grid. 

in your shoes for me a nice new KJ sounds like the right choice