Thunder77

Help! I Can't Choose

I was facing the same dilemna you were when i bought my Kamado.  It was a $60 different for me where the KJ was more expensive.  The thing that sealed the deal for me was the D&C system and was the big difference between KJ and Vision.  I use the 2 zone setup 90% of the time.  If you're just going to smoke indirect go with the Vision.  if there is even a remote chance of grilling (there will be once you start using the grill even if you dont plan on it) you'll want the KJ.

As was said earlier, its a lifetime purchase.  You maybe only buy one maybe two in your life so probably not worth shaving $125 for limiting yourself for 30-50 years.  

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

When i bought my Eggs nearly a decade ago they IMO were the only choice. 

The KJ lineup improvement since then is insane. The warranty, seal, hinge system, divide and conquer, new hyperbolic insert for the 2019 models etc 

Id step up for the D&C system. My large egg is the same size 18” grill and the second level and multiple zones is something I had to add aftermarket and i never find myself using the stock single grid near the gasket configuration. Ribs, brisket, pork shoulders or large amount of chicken wings and you’ll want the second grid. 

in your shoes for me a nice new KJ sounds like the right choice 

The gasket is a great point.  The gasket on the KJ seems to be head and shoulders above the rest right now.

40 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

The gasket is a great point.  The gasket on the KJ seems to be head and shoulders above the rest right now.

It is a good gasket indeed but komodo kamado has had a better gasket hinge ect for many years since the beginning when the company began

12 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

It is a good gasket indeed but komodo kamado has had a better gasket hinge ect for many years since the beginning when the company began

I don’t view KK as competition.  I am sure you are right.  Sorry I wasn’t more specific.

You've probably made a choice already, but as a vision owner I would recommend the Kamado Joe. The main difference being the divide and conquer racks, plus the included diverters.  By the time you add that to the Vision you will be spending more money than you would have spent on the Joe.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, TKOBBQ said:

Joe get the Joe.  I knew this day would be in your future.

Yeah, and it's all your fault, too! You got me started down this road when you showed me the Akorn on sale. After that, there is no going back...:-D