20190227_081542.jpg

20190227_085715.jpg

I have decided to enter a chili coo-off in a couple weeks so I'm doing a trial run of my recipe today.  Here's the recipe I came up with to try...

20190226_ChiliRecipe.jpg

I have since tweaked this recipe just a bit by changing the chipotle powder to 2 T and I'll be adding an additional T of ground cumin in part 3.  The cumin is freshly ground from cumin seed in a mortar and pestle.  That aromatic value can't be bought in ground cumin...

nice... I love interesting ingredients in my stocks... aka the unexpected introduction of your fish sauce. I also like the combo of red beans and black beans. It is magnifico but, I normally cheat by using canned. My tomato is fresh, however. In the past, I've found the forum to be pretty merciless regarding beans in chili. And, black beans, even more so. :-D

Does this produce a thick or thin chili stock?

39 minutes ago, St1brew said:

Good luck John! I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park. How many categories are they judging on and which are you planning on entering? 

The only categories i am aware of is professional and amateur.  I am only eligible for the amateur.

3 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

nice... I love interesting ingredients in my stocks... aka the unexpected introduction of your fish sauce. I also like the combo of red beans and black beans. It is magnifico but, I normally cheat by using canned. My tomato is fresh, however. In the past, I've found the forum to be pretty merciless regarding beans in chili. And, black beans, even more so. :-D

Does this produce a thick or thin chili stock?

My tomatoes and tomato paste go in last.  it will be a semi-thin stock.. its not soupy but it's not thick either.. i'll have some photos of the finished stuff soon... 

@John Setzler, we end up at about the same thickness which means the beans soak up a lot of moisture and also help thicken the broth. Which is interesting because I typically add zero water or chicken stock. The fresh tomatoes add the liquid content.

Looks great! I also am interested in how spicey it is, I love heat in the chili. And cooking it on the grill should add another depth flavor giving you a leg up.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ