I saw 30lb bags, but they were just regular royal oak not the xl stuff.  I plan on trying it out, I just happened to be on a work trip and couldn’t pick any up.

53 minutes ago, Phatman said:

I saw 30lb bags, but they were just regular royal oak not the xl stuff.  I plan on trying it out, I just happened to be on a work trip and couldn’t pick any up.

Looks like you're right, their pic is of the XL, but says it's Royal Oak Classic.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-Classic-Lump-30-Lbs/896217027

35 minutes ago, moloch16 said:

Is there an advantage to using XL chunks?

Nobody yet has dumped a bag out and taken a picture so we don't really know what they mean by XL. Regular RO is a little on the small size so their XL might be someone else's LG. 

I personally don't like XL chunks. I think fire burns more consistently with md and LG pieces. 

The other question - If they take all the good pieces to put in the XL bag what does that do for the regular bags going forward?

It does look a bit like the Western brand that seems to have dried up. Size is close to what I just pulled out of my last bag the other day. Pricing sounds close as well. The side by side comparison does look to be the same as the last RO bag I purchased. In my opinion it was on the smaller side and had tons of dust, went through a few bags all the same. If I see it I'll pick up a few bags and review with thoughts and pics.

Definitely not XL by any stretch of the imagination. Looks more like what regular RO should look like. 

I hope I can find a bag. If I do I'll do a side by side comparison with Fogo Premium Black Bag. 

Fogo accidentally sent me a bag of their Super Premium lump one day. Those were truly XL pieces. 

I bought me a bag. Going to score a few more types of lump then do a massive comparison. May take me a couple of weeks to gather up some other types. What I have so far is:

RO XL 

RO (regular) 

Fogo Premium Black Bag 

Fogo Marabu 

I'll post some comparisons in a few weeks. 

lt1.thumb.jpg.e0be32d443616cd98e3e836ee1ccf749.jpg

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

I bought me a bag. Going to score a few more types of lump then do a massive comparison. May take me a couple of weeks to gather up some other types. What I have so far is:

RO XL 

RO (regular) 

Fogo Premium Black Bag 

Fogo Marabu 

I'll post some comparisons in a few weeks. 

The sheer dichotomy between those brands is staggering. :-D

Personally, while I used to buy RO and other bargain brands for burger cooks, etc., there invariably is some left over when it's time to do a low and slow. And, every single problem I have had in a cook is when using either RO, one of the Restaurant Depot brands or God forbid, Cowboy. I am a sucker for a 'deal' however, I force myself to pass on them now.