Jump to content

Post your National Chili day cooks (02/28/19)


Recommended Posts

I was a little late getting my cook up on instagram for the national Chili day hash tag so curious what you cooked, recipes you like etc. 

 

I did a chili blanco with smoked chicken, coal roasted hot peppers and onions and fried prosciutto garnish. Love this recipe 

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/

 

My favourite Chili is this recipe given its excessive use of hot peppers that I grow, smoke to dehydrate and preserve and use throughout winter, it’s the red one in the two photos below 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/our-favorite-texas-beef-chili-51249010

55EA03B7-E21A-47AD-A5E0-BDE080377E5B.jpeg

B22D3FBF-997B-4108-98CC-076584BE1391.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great. I didn't realize it was chili day yesterday which if funny because I made my first chili in the Kamado yesterday. Did a turkey chili simply because I've been eating a ton of red meat lately. Wanted to try out the cast iron dutch oven. worked out incredible.

 

Made up this recipe. (mostly common stuff except for maybe the adobo seasoning and dried ancho chiles)

 

Dutch oven over the fire. Bit of oil than throw in chopped onion, garlic, ginger and red peppers. Let that cook a bit. Throw in ground turkey some salt pepper paprika, granulated garlic,  and adobo spice. Let that could a bit. Add Kidney beans, fire roasted tomatoes, can of tomato bisque, fire roasted red pepper. Can of beer. Chop up some ancho chili's. Throw in some cherry wood. Used mesquite lump charcoal
 
Since I did the whole deal directly over the flame I stirred it quite often. I did close the cover and shut the vents down almost entirely after eveything was browned and all ingredients in. After it had enough smoke and had rendered off the amount of liquid I wanted I took it out and set it aside. Closed the vents entirely and put it back on when the temp got down to around 240 or so. Let it cook longer stirring occassionally.
 
Topped it with sour cream, chopped spring onion, avacado and cheese. Was definitely a winner.
 
 
 

IMG_20190228_165017830.jpg

IMG_20190228_183959004.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, helliger said:

Looks great. I didn't realize it was chili day yesterday which if funny because I made my first chili in the Kamado yesterday. Did a turkey chili simply because I've been eating a ton of red meat lately. Wanted to try out the cast iron dutch oven. worked out incredible.

 

Made up this recipe. (mostly common stuff except for maybe the adobo seasoning and dried ancho chiles)

 

Dutch oven over the fire. Bit of oil than throw in chopped onion, garlic, ginger and red peppers. Let that cook a bit. Throw in ground turkey some salt pepper paprika, granulated garlic,  and adobo spice. Let that could a bit. Add Kidney beans, fire roasted tomatoes, can of tomato bisque, fire roasted red pepper. Can of beer. Chop up some ancho chili's. Throw in some cherry wood. Used mesquite lump charcoal
 
Since I did the whole deal directly over the flame I stirred it quite often. I did close the cover and shut the vents down almost entirely after eveything was browned and all ingredients in. After it had enough smoke and had rendered off the amount of liquid I wanted I took it out and set it aside. Closed the vents entirely and put it back on when the temp got down to around 240 or so. Let it cook longer stirring occassionally.
 
Topped it with sour cream, chopped spring onion, avacado and cheese. Was definitely a winner.
 
 
 

IMG_20190228_165017830.jpg

IMG_20190228_183959004.jpg

 

Looks great 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

I was a little late getting my cook up on instagram for the national Chili day hash tag so curious what you cooked, recipes you like etc. 

 

I did a chili blanco with smoked chicken, coal roasted hot peppers and onions and fried prosciutto garnish. Love this recipe 

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/

 

My favourite Chili is this recipe given its excessive use of hot peppers that I grow, smoke to dehydrate and preserve and use throughout winter, it’s the red one in the two photos below 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/our-favorite-texas-beef-chili-51249010

55EA03B7-E21A-47AD-A5E0-BDE080377E5B.jpeg

B22D3FBF-997B-4108-98CC-076584BE1391.jpeg

I too did not realize it was national chili day. Funny that I knew about every one in the world who's feelings got hurt, but not that it was chili day. Need to tweak my news feed. Both of those chilis look delicious btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, buckleybj said:

I too did not realize it was national chili day. Funny that I knew about every one in the world who's feelings got hurt, but not that it was chili day. Need to tweak my news feed. Both of those chilis look delicious btw.

 

 

:-???? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...