O C

Vacuum sealer tips and tricks?

When I cook pork shoulder I typically do 3 or 4. The we'll eat one and pull, vacuum seal and freeze the others. We typically add a little vinegar or apple juice to the thawed and reheated pork.

On 3/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, ckreef said:

One last thing, don't skimp on the foodsaver model. Be prepared to spend a few bucks to get the better model, you won't regret it. 

when you say don't skimp, are you saying that a model around $80 won't suffice, or are you talking the 19.99 cheap stuff?

16 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

when you say don't skimp, are you saying that a model around $80 won't suffice, or are you talking the 19.99 cheap stuff?

$80 foodsaver is not going to cut it. You need to get up around $150 range before they really start getting decent reviews. My first foodsaver was a super cheapie, it worked but definitely not as nice as my current foodsaver. 

19 minutes ago, ckreef said:

$80 foodsaver is not going to cut it. You need to get up around $150 range before they really start getting decent reviews. My first foodsaver was a super cheapie, it worked but definitely not as nice as my current foodsaver. 

that is the info that I was looking for... thank you!!!

I am on my second Foodsaver in over 20 years. I do not use mine even close to daily.

My current one is an FM2010 and it does the job I need perfectly. I would recommend it to anyone with average needs but that is just my opinion. YMMV

I gave up on Foodsaver brand bags a lone time ago though.

1 hour ago, O C said:

Received my FM5480 today. Will be trying it out this weekend.

I think you'll be glad you pulled the trigger in the long run. Looks like one of their newest more advanced models. The real expense is in bags or roll material. If you ever find bags/rolls on sale buy them up. 

Also can be used to seal chips, pretzels,  pistachios, etc. anything that comes in a mylar-type or heavy/stiff plastic bag.  Food saver does not recommend thin baggies.

Comes in handy when buying junk food in bulk. 

Just got to be careful about crushing your chips. 

https://www.foodsaver.com/service-and-support/product-support/product-faqs/tips-and-hints/pantry-storage/tips-and-hints-pantry-storage-faq-Q-A-2.html

I am getting ready to order a new Vacuum sealer that I have high hopes about.  I do believe that, next to my cutlery, the vacuum sealer is the most important tool in my kitchen.  I have had several vacuum sealers starting with the very low end basic model FoodSaver (Which I still believe is probably the best one to have) and up to a Weston 2300-Pro that I just sold this week to get it out of my storage area because I never use it.  

With any luck I'll have it by this time next week and can show it to you and talk about it some.