l2oBiN

What is the biggest temperature gauge one can but for the Kamado Joe Big Joe??

Not exactly answering your question directly but....... 

I have retrofitted Thermoworks Smoke probes into both my KK's and my Primo Oval Jr dome thermometer holes so I'm positive you could do the same with a KJ. Best improvement to my kamados to date. Can switch between f and c. You can set temperature alarms. The small display unit has a built-in back light and you can take it with you into the house or wherever with a decent range. 

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

Not exactly answering your question directly but....... 

I have retrofitted Thermoworks Smoke probes into both my KK's and my Primo Oval Jr dome thermometer holes so I'm positive you could do the same with a KJ. Best improvement to my kamados to date. Can switch between f and c. You can set temperature alarms. The small display unit has a built-in back light and you can take it with you into the house or wherever with a decent range. 

Is there a grommet that could be fit in the hole left by the removal of the stock dome thermometer to accommodate the probe from the Smoke?

38 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Is there a grommet that could be fit in the hole left by the removal of the stock dome thermometer to accommodate the probe from the Smoke?

On my KK's I use the thin curved meat probe (rated to 572* if I remember correctly). They fit in the hole with no actual grommet needed. I did take a slice of a wine cork and put it on the the probe before inserting it into the hole. That let's me adjust the amount of the probe sticking into the KK. For the Primo Oval Jr I use the short straight grate probe and made a tin foil grommet. In both cases I have the wire routed around the top vent to the back of the grill so you can open and close the dome without the wire getting in the way.  If I want to cook over 550* I just pull them out and put the original probe back in for that cook (not very often). 

Sort of crappy Pictures  but should give you a visual of what I'm talking about. I can't stress enough this was the best improvement I've made to my kamados. I don't own a KJ so you'll just have to figure out what setup/probe works best. If you use the meat probe you can always buy an additional meat probe for checking the meat. 

probe1.thumb.jpg.8aa4f8d52323b6741e38fe6d03cf5b2c.jpg

probe2.thumb.jpg.34e190985ad2ed5f5c0cad6b48239557.jpg