Elbertohokie

Kamado Joe Classic II arrived

23 minutes ago, Elbertohokie said:

Just sent them my receipt.  They asked if I'd contacted my dealer(Amazon).  I hadn't because I don't really think this is a dealer issue.  

If they suggest I get out a drill and a 1/4" bit, I may get a little upset.  

That is the part I was wondering about.  Personally I'd rather drill the hole than replace the dome.  I don't know what kind of problems could happen from that though because i THINK the holes are drilled before they are painted and glazed but i am NOT sure of that either.

42 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

That is the part I was wondering about.  Personally I'd rather drill the hole than replace the dome.  I don't know what kind of problems could happen from that though because i THINK the holes are drilled before they are painted and glazed but i am NOT sure of that either.

I would think the hole is part of the mold, but perhaps not. Before the clay is fired it’s still quite soft so a hole could easily be drilled. 

It’s an interesting QC issue. Somewhere in the assembly and boxing process a worker is holding a thermometer and looking at the Joe and saying “where the heck does this go???”  

2 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

I would think the hole is part of the mold, but perhaps not. Before the clay is fired it’s still quite soft so a hole could easily be drilled. 

It’s an interesting QC issue. Somewhere in the assembly and boxing process a worker is holding a thermometer and looking at the Joe and saying “where the heck does this go???”  

You would think...

44 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I would agree, it would be much easier to drill a hole than replace the top, However use a diamond holesaw/ drill  design for cutting tile and ceramic’s without the use of a hammer drill. Not a Masonary bit with a hammer drill or you could break, or crack the top.

Then move on, and start cooking.

I'm probably not capable of replacing that dome.  If it happened to me I'd contact my credit card company and tell them that I'm asking the merchant to send someone to box up and pick up the faulty kamado and deliver a new one.  I'd tell the CC company that I'm going to stop payment if they refuse.

I understand that mistakes happen, but I won't allow someone make their problem into my problem.

I'd want to know about this if I were the merchant.  

Its not hard drilling into a Kamado. I have drilled into my Primo XL and 3 of my friends installing the clip kit.

I will admit I had to work myself up to doing it. Had visions of bad things happening during the process. I followed the instructions utilized the die tap and then drilled out the holes with a masonry bit.

I hope the original poster has success with his new dome.

52 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I don't know how hard it is to drill that hole but i do know how hard and problematic it can be to replace the dome and I'd take my chances with the hole first if that option was offered to me.  If it didn't work out then the dome could be replaced.

I don’t have a thermometer either.  They owe me one of those.

8 minutes ago, Elbertohokie said:

I don’t have a thermometer either.  They owe me one of those.

This makes me wonder if someone got a KJ Classic II with 2 thermometers in it...?

:)