Elbertohokie

Kamado Joe Classic II arrived

41 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Are they having you return the defective dome?  

I have to give them the diameter of the dome first.  I'm going to resist, that's a pain to ship and they want me to pack it right?  

11 minutes ago, Elbertohokie said:

I have to give them the diameter of the dome first.  I'm going to resist, that's a pain to ship and they want me to pack it right?  

I don't know.. that's why i am asking.  they want your diameter measurement so they can get you a dome lid that matches perfectly.  They have size variations in the mfg process apparently.  I was gonna say if thye aren't gonna make you return the bad one that I would seriously consider drilling a hole in the one you have and swapping the thermometer off the dome they send you.  That would be a lot easier task than replacing the dome.

This ^^^

If you go down the dome swap route there are videos that show the process to remove and replace both the hinge and the dome. I've removed and replaced my dome and it's not difficult although I understand why you would not want to (newly purchased product and all). 

But if you decide to drill out the hole...well, I might want the thermometer a little closer to the grate since that's not a choice we typically get to make. Something to think about...

2 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

This ^^^

If you go down the dome swap route there are videos that show the process to remove and replace both the hinge and the dome. I've removed and replaced my dome and it's not difficult although I understand why you would not want to (newly purchased product and all). 

But if you decide to drill out the hole...well, I might want the thermometer a little closer to the grate since that's not a choice we typically get to make. Something to think about...

Then he would still have a kamado joe that doesn't look like a kamado joe.  If you move that thermomter lower it will give you teh same bad readings digital probes do when you place them too close to the edge of the grate.

Elbertohokie, I don’t think you need to jump through any hoops.  You must really be a nice guy to tolerate this.  You paid a merchant a sizeable amount of money and didn’t receive what you ordered. It’s not on you to make it right, it’s on them.  I don’t think the customer is always right; but I think you’re right.

Tell the merchant that your position is the same as the position they take with their suppliers—you want what you paid for and that you want them to pick up the faulty merchandise.  Have the credit card company retrieve your payment if they won’t do that.

They may decide to negotiate in some way.  And then you can work out a compromise if you want to.  It’s the art of the deal.  :)

24 minutes ago, pmillen said:

Elbertohokie, I don’t think you need to jump through any hoops.  You must really be a nice guy to tolerate this.  You paid a merchant a sizeable amount of money and didn’t receive what you ordered. It’s not on you to make it right, it’s on them.  I don’t think the customer is always right; but I think you’re right.

Tell the merchant that your position is the same as the position they take with their suppliers—you want what you paid for and that you want them to pick up the faulty merchandise.  Have the credit card company retrieve your payment if they won’t do that.

They may decide to negotiate in some way.  And then you can work out a compromise if you want to.  It’s the art of the deal.  :)

The effort of putting the lid on doesn't bother me that much if they throw a "we screwed up" accessory into the mix.  If they just send me a replacement lid and don't offer anything else.  I'll be ticked.  My next email to them will say something of that nature.  

2 hours ago, Elbertohokie said:

The effort of putting the lid on doesn't bother me that much if they throw a "we screwed up" accessory into the mix.  If they just send me a replacement lid and don't offer anything else.  I'll be ticked.  My next email to them will say something of that nature.  

They are not gonna do that.  If that's what you are expecting then you should just ask for a refund and a pick up from whoever you bought it from.  Kamado Joe will make it right for you by their standard warranty claim and processing processes.  If those are unacceptable then you have no other option but to go back to your vendor with the problem.

13 hours ago, Elbertohokie said:

I don’t think you’ll have any worries, my firebox cracked and they sent a new one along with an all expense paid vacation to Alcapulco for my family of 5.  Figured it was the least they could do 

1 hour ago, freddyjbbq said:

I don’t think you’ll have any worries, my firebox cracked and they sent a new one along with an all expense paid vacation to Alcapulco for my family of 5.  Figured it was the least they could do 

The battery on my car's key fob died after only six years. I was p***ed. I was only the third owner, after the car was first stolen and then totaled by Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy. I called Kia to complain. They made it right and sent me two Ferraris, a McLaren, a platinum Rolex for me, one for my wife ... along with a new battery. I also wanted a Kia hat, but they refused. Hyundai for me next time. :-D

I think it's unfair to any vendor no matter who they are to try to hold them hostage for free stuff or kickback because you were inconvenienced by having to make a warranty claim.  Warranties are just that.  They will fix, replace, or refund whatever the problem is.  This is not the people's court.  You aren't getting compensated for emotional distress.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I think it's unfair to any vendor no matter who they are to try to hold them hostage for free stuff or kickback because you were inconvenienced by having to make a warranty claim.  Warranties are just that.  They will fix, replace, or refund whatever the problem is.  This is not the people's court.  You aren't getting compensated for emotional distress.

The inconvenience of making the claim is the smallest portion of the situation.  Many businesses recognize that other aspects that might be lumped together as emotional distress have longer half-lives.  They voluntarily take the blame and take the initiative to go beyond undemonstrative and impersonal warranty fulfillment.  They don’t act like Commander Spock.  They say things like, “I’m so sorry that we let you down” or “That must have been so disappointing.”  They usually try to rebuild good will by, “I know that we can never really make up for this, but we’d like to send you a _______ for your inconvenience.”

But the customer needs to wait for the merchant to initiate the offer.  Asking for free stuff is gauche and usually ineffective.

11 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

This is exactly why Amazon should have been contacted in the first place. They would have sent out a replacement and a return ticket. This would have been solved already. Amazon then would be the ones dealing with KJ and you would be cooking.

I agree with this 100%. All the interactions regarding undelivered, faulty or misrepresented merchandise I've had with Amazon were dealt with immediately, with few questions asked. In most cases Amazon was just the middleman, but they still made good on the transaction.
However...
Since KJ was contacted first, why can't they do the same thing? Although this is undoubtedly a freak occurrence, there's no question this grill should not have left the factory.  KJ is ultimately responsible for the manufacturing of their products - and their customer service.
Photos, measuring and having to replace faulty parts would be out of the question for me.
Who's responsible if you crack the new dome during a replacement installation you shouldn't have had to do in the first place?
I'd ask for a brand new unit or a full refund.
No more - no less.