l2oBiN

Injecting Turkey with Lard?

Well, award for creativity! Wow... Never heard of this. And, in addition to the brining? hmmm... I have found turkeys cooked on the kamado to be sufficiently juicey even sans brining. I do not know what the lard can add. But I might use it in an attempt to crisp the skin...

I plan to melt it down and inject, as well as baste the skin...

the alternative is duck fat.. 

people seem to to be Injecting with Butter, it only makes sense to me to try lard ...

I've not heard of injecting lard. Last year the hot prep was to place lard, held in place by bacon, on the skin of the turkey. Injecting butter gives flavor and fat. Don't know how much flavor lard would impart. Let's us know how it turns out. 

I've seen where large pieces of beef were "larded" in order to prevent a potentially dry

roast. "Larding" is the process of poking a hole in the meat and inserting fat into it.

Never saw or thought about doing it with poultry. I wonder if the flavor will be

affected. Let us know how it turns out. A little more info on larding in the link.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-larding-995738

No beef flavour. Lard is pork rendered fat... it seemed to have rendered all out during cooking. The turkey flavour was predominant. Nobody mentioned signs of any signs of pork flavour (I did not tell them it was injected with lard).

On 3/10/2019 at 3:23 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

So is this your first turkey on the Kamado?

Nice color on that bird

Yes. So it’s a bit hard to gauge against another Kamado cook. However, based of turkey from oven this is orders of magnitude superior...

When I first read your plan to inject with lard, I assumed it must be. Personally, I see zero need for injecting a bird in a Kamado– even more so after brining. I think the only way to produce a dry bird on a grill in general is via overcooking. And any turkey smoked or roasted on a grill is going to be infinitely better than an oven bird, imo.  Of course, do what works for you and I am not saying this to persaude you to do otherwise. We're just chatting here. :-D

Glad your bird worked out for you