Woody6868

The Dreaded Overcook!

That's the general idea, but not with the soapstone. With the grate in place, I use the 1 on/1 off cycle... one minute on the cooking grate to sear, one minute off the grate to rest, flip, and repeat until it's done to your liking (depending on thickness), or you like the sear and can move to low heat to finish.  

I don't have such a process for the soapstone yet. We don't eat steak that often. And the only thing I'm certain is I need a smaller fire than when using the grate. More work needed. 

Have fun,

Frank

On 3/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, fbov said:

That's the general idea, but not with the soapstone. With the grate in place, I use the 1 on/1 off cycle... one minute on the cooking grate to sear, one minute off the grate to rest, flip, and repeat until it's done to your liking (depending on thickness), or you like the sear and can move to low heat to finish.  

I don't have such a process for the soapstone yet. We don't eat steak that often. And the only thing I'm certain is I need a smaller fire than when using the grate. More work needed. 

Have fun,

Frank

Funny, I use this exact setup in my classic for 2 zone cooking! I maintain dome temp between 210-260F and the soapstone between 450-500F. I like to reverse sear steaks by bringing then to temp slowly on the cool indirect side while the stone comes to temp, then searing them on the hot stone.

I also have the kick ash basket with solid divider. On the empty side I build a small hot fire with coals from the fire side. I place one wood chunk on the coals and get a fantastic clean smoke. I simply remove the chunk when I have enough smoke flavour.

20190526_085737.jpg

20190521_184656.jpg

20190525_124923.jpg

Thermapen!  Allow for 3-5 degrees of carryover, more for larger cuts that rest longer longer than a few minutes.  Prepare other dishes so they are waiting on the meat, meat deserves this sort of respect.  Unless its a pork shoulder or brisket, don't rest meat....its not tired.  Just eat it.

Wow this one has gone all over the place. So minimally instant read, ideally probe and instant read. You will learn what works for you and the timing of things. Dont be afraid to finish anything on the stove, I.E, impromptu cookout this past weekend ended up having 3 racks of spare ribs, 3 small pork loins and several ribeyes on at the same time. I usually cook and reverse sear all on the same kamado but in this case could not get all to finish at same time (ribs taking 5+ hours). Pulled the loins at ribeyes at the temps i love and finished on hot hot cast iron on stove. The loins got seared pretty quickly, the ribeyes sat for about 2 hours before the got finished. All was perfect trick is to pull things soon enough. Ribeyes were pulled at 120 and sat quite awhile, but ended up perfectly medium rare.

As for reverse sear, im a super fan, most everything I make is reverse seared but you need to be ready to eat quickly after finishing or learn to pull it several degrees before your ideal temp. I used to sear first been a good long time since i have, though i will give it ago in the not to distant future and see how that goes.