Mark_from_Quebec

Bought my first brisket and about to do John’s Texas style cook, some newb questions

In case John checks in, thank you as I have relied on your videos and techniques for all my cooks and even with my limited experience I have never missed.

I purchased my first brisket, close to 12 pounds trimmed, full packet with a point and flat.

I’m going to follow John’s Brisket 101 technique for the meat prep, but I will follow his Texas style video for the salt/pepper rub and could wrap technique and then back to his 101 video removing the flat and making burnt ends.

questions:

1. Do both top/bottom and sides of the brisket get rubbed with salt/pepper, from the Texas style I only see the thick layer of salt/pepper on the top.

2. How long can I reasonably allow the brisket to rest wrapped in foil and covered by towels in my cooler, I know it is mentioned to do it for one hour but how long can I stretch this without ruining the cook but giving me as much time as possible before serving?

3. The rub recipe calls for coarse salt and pepper, I have coarse salt on hand but only fine ground pepper, can I still get away with using it in equal parts? Otherwise I’m okay with going out to get the course.

4. It will be the first time I use wood chunks in my cook, I have cherry, pecan, and apple on hand, which would be the best bet?

5. In the Brisket 101 video, John sprays the brisket around the 1 hour make to form the bark but does not do this in the Texas video, should I spray or does it have anything to do with the Texas video wrapping the brisket in foil?

6. Should I be using the entire point for burnt ends?

Thanks for the feedback and thank you John! I’ll also be doing your smoke mac’n cheese because it was a big hit, along with bacon coleslaw.

q1 ... No just the Top 
q2  ... Up to 3 hours
q3  ... You can use what you have 
q4  ... Pecan or Apple.. Be sure to Place your Wood Chunks under the Charcoal 
q5 . Spritz every 30 mins with Apple Juice or Water until Bark Sets (passes the Scratch test) then wrap cook until toothpick tender 
q6  ... Yes.

Everyone has their Secret Recipe to Cook Brisket and you will have to Find what you Like Taste and Cooking Wise and Every Cook is different.
Competition Brisket is Different from Back Yard Brisket 

Have Fun an Enjoy .

Toyse

I know time can vary greatly, If I wanted to serve dinner at 18:30, how many hours would you start prior, including one hour rest?

Knowing I can keep it in the cooler up to 3 hours is a decent buffer but won’t do me any good if I start at 6:30 and stays on the KJ for the full 12.

Also, any preference to cooking at 250 vs 225? Is 225 safer?

After a few successful cooks, you get a formula that you tend to repeat. 

That everyone has a slightly different formula tells you there's a lot of wiggle room!

I have a 24 hour formula for full briskets. Key parts are:

- cook at-or-below 225 F rather than higher, and use a water pan. 

- wrap loosely in a foil "boat" at ~175 F internal, to catch fluids, but not steam. 

- kill the fire at 195 F. Leave it closed until the meat internal temperature peaks around 205 F, then falls below ~175 F. 

I get about a cup of unctuous juice per pound of raw meat, that the cooked meat is eager to reabsorb. The loose wrap lets a bark form on top, without drying. 

Enjoy figuring out your formula!

Frank

9 hours ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

I know time can vary greatly, If I wanted to serve dinner at 18:30, how many hours would you start prior, including one hour rest?

Knowing I can keep it in the cooler up to 3 hours is a decent buffer but won’t do me any good if I start at 6:30 and stays on the KJ for the full 12.

Also, any preference to cooking at 250 vs 225? Is 225 safer?

I would started at 0400 just in case I encountered a Long Stall ..

Temperature well as Harry Soo says that is a 3hr Debate 

250 or Higher will work you have to Pay more attention to Spritzing to help set the bark and not dry it out .

Enjoy 

WoodyT

On 3/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, WoodyT said:

I would started at 0400 just in case I encountered a Long Stall ..

Temperature well as Harry Soo says that is a 3hr Debate 

250 or Higher will work you have to Pay more attention to Spritzing to help set the bark and not dry it out .

Enjoy 

WoodyT

You were dead in with that advice, I started prep at 3am and even then my rest time brought me to 19:30! I increased to 250 about 10 hours in and almost 300 in the last hour when it was foiled wrap, I just didn’t have any more time to spare and it still sliced like butter. In hindsight I should have done my final touches on trimming the night before and should just needed to get my KJ up to temp and get that piece of meat on a lot faster.

1 hour ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

You were dead in with that advice, I started prep at 3am and even then my rest time brought me to 19:30! I increased to 250 about 10 hours in and almost 300 in the last hour when it was foiled wrap, I just didn’t have any more time to spare and it still sliced like butter. In hindsight I should have done my final touches on trimming the night before and should just needed to get my KJ up to temp and get that piece of meat on a lot faster.

The colder it is, the easier it is to trim.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:37 PM, WoodyT said:

......Everyone has their Secret Recipe to Cook Brisket and you will have to Find what you Like Taste and Cooking Wise 

Exactly and you might even have a few different versions of your “secret recipe” all of which produce a great result in their own rite.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, WoodyT said:

.........you have to Pay more attention to Spritzing to help set the bark and not dry it out .

Sometimes I spritz and sometimes not. depending if I’m not home or sleeping when the cook starts.

its fun to do, but I’ve found that the bark will still set of you don’t spritz.

spritzing has no impact on the interior of the meat drying or staying moist (marbled fat content controls that aspect)

Any liquid that you spray on the exterior of the meat will evaporate.

ill oook prime grade briskets now after seeing results.

here is a prime grade cooked at 225 (no spritzing) about 10 hours while I was at work & then braised in foil pan until tender

looking forward to your results, enjoy! Brisket is a fun cook!

C47FEC62-F938-4BD5-A433-894AA30400EA.jpeg

CF6E52D8-F878-4589-84FD-F471C7A3C948.jpeg

I don't do a lot of brisket as it's just not that common up here, but I did one yesterday.  Confidence was not high!  The TWO times I've tried it before I have to admit it was a bit lacking.  Poor crust, poor smoke, dry etc.

Being a lot of money to spend and something I wanted to avoid messing up again, I've been doing a lot of research.  I found this video from Harry Soo - Slap Yo Daddy BBQ professional.  Some of his tips and techniques I found are VERY different from many things I have repeatedly seen, so I thought I would take a chance. His fundamentals are all rock solid, but also very practical and simple. 

Let's just say I'll be following all his processes and fundamentals again....it was freakin' amazing!!!  Yes...I cooked it at around 400 degrees too.  The entire process is also much faster.  

Here are the pics and I couldn’t be happier on how it went. I couldn’t have done it without John Setzler’s videos.

I don’t think my smoke ring is that great, wondering if I needed more chunks, I had a bunch of small pieces on top and a really full load of charcoal, but the taste was great regardless.

Full packer 12.5 pound brisket rubbed with even mixture of coarse salt/pepper, smoked with Pecan wood chunks. 225 for the first 7 hours, spritzed with Apple Juice for 1 hour every 15mins, another 3-4 or so hours at 225, double foil wrapped around 170ish, I was getting worried about dinner getting on the table too late and I upped temp to 250, and then 275 for the remaining or or so.

Removed the point, cut and mixed with bbq sauce and placed back on the smoker.

Double foiled wrap the flat and towel wrapped and placed in cooler.

Along with 

Smoked Mac’n cheese with Bacon

Roxy’s kicked up coleslaw

Horseradish Mayo

Costco rolls

Cherry coke

Tequila/Cointreau Margaritas

Costco Carrot cake

I didn’t feel like re-sizing all my photos, you can see my Imgur links, I’m open to constructive feedback, gotta keep learning.

https://imgur.com/a/EfnKcpa