Sign in to follow this  
CSD

Current researcher, future kamado owner

Greetings!  I must say that this forum has been an amazing resource for someone trying to research which 1st Kamado to purchase.  And i’m sure it will continue to be a great resource after the purchase!

i have been cooking on a Weber Performer for the past few years, and love it.  I am pretty good with beef (mostly steaks, trit tip, and burgers), decent with pork (butts, chops), and usually disappointed with my poultry cooks.  I’m really more of a smoker and reverse searer than a griller.   For years I have ignorantly scoffed at the Big Green Eggers, mainly due  cost per square inch of cooking surface.  I felt my kettle could do everything I needed to do.

My wife and I have recently decided to have an outdoor kitchen installed.  This started out as only desiring to repair some pet damage to a small screened in porch, but the contractor upsold us significantly by convincing us to tear out the screen entirely and extend the area with a new roof over the adjacent patio, complete with kitchen area.  I felt the new area was too nice for my Weber to be the centerpiece, and started doing research on Kamados.  Now I see what I’m missing!

I have finally decided that Kamado Joe seems to be the best fit for me, and now I must decide if the classic II is large enough, or if I need a Big Joe.  I will keep the kettle, so classic will probably be enough.  

Thanks for being such an active, friendly, and informative forum,

Welcome glad to have you with us. The decision your faced with really boils down to a couple of factors. 1. who you cook for. Just the two of you, one or two kids, three or four kids, do you have a small extended family or a large one,  do you entertain friends and family frequently. Who you cook for and how frequently really is the deciding factor in how big a grill you need. However that are guys cooking for only two who like to cook a whole gigantic brisket and the like so,  2. what you want to cook is also a factor. I cook primarily for just my wife and I and I have a large BGE which is almost identical in size to the Joe Classic. That size works fine for me. In addition I have cooked ribs and chicken thighs for almost 20 folks for a church gathering. It was a lot of work however, and require a lot of logistical planning. Then there is the age old adage " you can always cook less of a larger grill, but you can't always cook more on a smaller one" Good luck with your decision.  

That's an interesting take.  I have never heard of grills evaluated by cost per square inch before :)  You are right though. Your Weber kettle is capable of doing just about anything a Kamado can do.  Don't approach your kamado purchase as a way to do things you can't do on your kettle. Approach it as having a much nicer tool to do those things and by having a tool that makes some things a LOT easier to do :)

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Don't approach your kamado purchase as a way to do things you can't do on your kettle. Approach it as having a much nicer tool to do those things and by having a tool that makes some things a LOT easier to do :)

Definitely looking forward to cooking pizza, mainly due to your videos, John.  Plus, i’m wanting to give the Joetisserie a whirl!  Maybe I could try those things on the kettle, but you’re right, it looks like the the KJ was made for those applications.  Also, I think it will definitely up my poultry game!

30 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

1. who you cook for.

2. what you want to cook is also a factor.

1.  Wife, 2 teenage kids, and myself mostly.  I don’t currently grill too often, but when I do I try to make the most of a the opportunity with a large cook.  I feel that with the ease and pleasure Kamado users seem to enjoy, plus the ability to shut down lump after a cook, I will probably cook much more often.  So maybe less incentive to make each cook a large one.

2.  Mostly steaks, tri tip, and burgers.  But occasionally larger hunks of protein such brisket, hams, turkeys, etc.   And I certainly want to start experimenting with lots of other things, like side items in a dual zone setup.  

I think i’m slowly talking myself into a Big Joe....

2 hours ago, CSD said:

I think i’m slowly talking myself into a Big Joe....

That sounds like a practical decision to me, given your family configuration. After all a Big Joe will do everything a Classic can, but the Classic just can't put out the quantity or provide the cooking space a Big Joe can. Happy Shopping and then Cooking. 

Welcome to the forum! I was in exactly that same position a little over a year ago. After 3 months of research, I settled for the Big Joe and I don't regret it a bit. I cook for my wife, my kid and myself. Having said that, the new KJ III improves on cooking area with an extra floor that you may consider. So does the Big Joe III btw, with even greater features :). Good luck with your choice!

I think you will be happy with whatever  you choose.  The important thing is to take your time to learn your grill and vent settings.  It will prevent a lot of frustration down the road.  And I feel you on the being unable to believe how much people will spend on a ceramic.  I was the same way, and less than a year after buying my Akorn I was buying a KK.  That's how much I love it. 

Welcome to the forum CSD, the only reasons I'd go with the Classic over the Big Joe is 1) cost, and 2) if the Big Joe dominates the outdoor kitchen.  All that red might be a bit overpowering in a small space.  Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!