Sign in to follow this  
Thunder77

Cleaning the Primo Interior

Good evening Folks,

I just acquired a used Primo Oval Junior. Apparently the former owners didn’t read the instruction book, because they used briquettes in it. Horror of horrors!! 

So I have a solid clump  of used briquette gunk in the firebox. The question I have is: Can I use water to clean out the interior of the grill? Also, is there supposed to be any air gap between the firebox and the outside wall of the grill? If so, mine is filled with gunk right now, and I need to clean it. This grill was recently not well cared for. But for $100 I m not complaining. I just want to know what kind of work I am in for... Thanks

Edited by Thunder77

First off NO Water or cleaning fluids of any kind on the inside. Nothing good will come from that. 

Clean as much ash as possible from the inside. At the bottom of the firebox is a Cast Iron lump grate. Pull that straight up and out. Clean as much ash as possible from below the grate. Next is a small ceramic plate (slightly smaller than the CI grate). Pull that ceramic plate straight up and out. Next reach down in there with both arms and pull the entire firebox straight up and out. To do that you can put some fingers in the vent cutout. 

Now that's it's disassembled you can use a soft bristle brush to scrap away any muck. Once as clean as possible put it all back together. Do a high heat burn off but I wouldn't get really crazy with that. Get it up to about 550* and let it ride at that temp for an hour or so. At this point you should be good. 

Every 4 or 5 cooks you'll have to clean it down to the oval ceramic plate. If you clean the ash out the front vent you could go longer on that. A couple of times a year (depending on how much you use it) you'll have to clean it fully all the way down to removing the firebox. 

If you need me to I could take mine apart and snap a few pictures later this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Thunder77 said:

Why no water? I was aware that cleaning fluids are a no-no, because they can seep into the ceramic. Water eventually dries. 

Just wondering. 

1 hour ago, Thunder77 said:

Also, do you cover your Primo?

I just wouldn't want the water to dissolve whatever was in there and possibly soak  it into the ceramics. Once the water dries it could potentially leave behind whatever soaked into the ceramics with the water.  I maybe paranoid but I see no purpose in using water. 

I don't cover mine but mine is on a covered porch so no need to. Mine has a daisy wheel top vent which would definitely leak water into the inside if left out in the rain. 

Not only that moisture inside a kamado if left unused for a period of time will cause mold issues inside your kamado 

I will never use water inside my grill to clean it ...

Like ck said scrape it down and do a high heat and that will do a great job of cleaning it