John Setzler

DoJOE: First Looks

Thanks for keeping us updated on the DoJoe John.

From our original discussions, it was said the Dojoe needs to burn out on it’s own because there was no way to shut it down. With the amount of lump you put in the basket in the video, it seems like that’s going to be quite some time. If you’re only going to cook a couple of pies, a wasting of a lot of fuel. 

If it doesn’t come with some kind of door to plug-in the opening, I’m sure a rudimentary one can be made out of scrap or even extra heavy duty foil.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

Thanks for keeping us updated on the DoJoe John.

From our original discussions, it was said the Dojoe needs to burn out on it’s own because there was no way to shut it down. With the amount of lump you put in the basket in the video, it seems like that’s going to be quite some time. If you’re only going to cook a couple of pies, a wasting of a lot of fuel. 

If it doesn’t come with some kind of door to plug-in the opening, I’m sure a rudimentary one can be made out of scrap or even extra heavy duty foil.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if $2 wasted charcoal is an issue, a $1200 grill and a $250 pizza accessory might not be the right choice in the first place :)

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

My thoughts are that if $2 wasted charcoal is an issue, a $1200 grill and a $250 pizza accessory might not be the right choice in the first place :)

I guess I’m the kind of guy that prefers to turns the lights off when I walk out of a room, and turn the ignition off when I get out of one of my vehicles.

Trying to help save the planet for all the younger people out there :)

Let me try a different question.

With the bottom vent wide open, it looks like it will go through it’s fuel pretty quickly.

About how many pies do you think you could you cook, with the amount of lump you used, or how long will it stay hot enough to do an adequate job at cooking pizza?

2 hours ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

I guess I’m the kind of guy that prefers to turns the lights off when I walk out of a room, and turn the ignition off when I get out of one of my vehicles.

Trying to help save the planet for all the younger people out there :)

Let me try a different question.

With the bottom vent wide open, it looks like it will go through it’s fuel pretty quickly.

About how many pies do you think you could you cook, with the amount of lump you used, or how long will it stay hot enough to do an adequate job at cooking pizza?

Answers to all:

There is no way to seal it up to snuff out the charcoal.  If you want to do that you will need to remove that screaming hot insert and set it somewhere safe and close the vents down.

I think you can average about 45 minutes to an hour of cooking time.

I don't own a KJ but I've cooked pizza in an Akorn and my KK's. I used to own Blackstone Pizza Oven and now I own a WFO. With all that said I really like that accessory. It looks fun and easy to use. It overcomes the biggest disadvantage to cooking pizza in a kamado (loosing heat opening the dome to check on your pizza). Great video. 

@Never L8 4 chow there is much harder lump charcoal for sale than your average RO or KJ lump. Fogo Marabu is a super hard lump that burns really hot. I imagine you would get twice the burn time using that lump. 

Awesome, thanks for the video. 

I do not have a shipping notice yet for the Big Joe size preorder. Now that the weather is warming up and the time change will mean there is some daylight after work, I cannot wait for delivery!

I do not use the Joetisserie at temps this hot, but when done with the rotisserie, I take it out with welding gloves, let it cool on a metal rack (it cools pretty quickly), and then shut down the kamado. I hope to do the same here!

The classic size DoJoe looks a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Makes me think about picking it up too.

Putting the stones in at such a high temp seems to me like asking for  cracked ceramics.   Same as trying to remove the DoJoe and ceramics to shut the lid and save lump.   Would't it be a temp shock to the ceramics? 

As Never L8 4 chow mentioned, I am more interested in being comfortable going to bed after dinner, etc. 

In all, I am just looking forward to getting my hands on this thing. On the deck cooking NoJoe pizzas right now!

I think it's a fun way of cooking pizzas. It's a neat accessory for the enthusiast. It's not needed to make great pizzas though. I haven't used a DoJo but I think I'd prefer the classic way of cooking pizzas with lid on and top vent open. I also like the idea of being able to shut down the vents when you're done cooking  Kamados can make great pizzas with just a good pizza stone and deflectors. Either way it seems cool, I wouldn't buy it but I'm sure those who buy it will like it. 

1 hour ago, Chris Topher said:

Great video @John Setzler!  I see a warning to not exceed 700*.

With wide open top and bottom vents, one could easily exceed 700*. Im wondering if the DoJoe is designed to limit airflow so that the 700* limit is not exceeded, even with a wide open bottom vent. 

You close the top vent once the DoJoe is installed...  @ 4:34 in the video.

My guess is the DJ restricts airflow enough to minimize the chances of getting above 700.

Looks well built, but I don't see enough of a use case to justify $250. I can get great pizza in the 500-600 range already, and I can shut my grill down when I'm done.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, JP217P said:

I think it's a fun way of cooking pizzas. It's a neat accessory for the enthusiast. It's not needed to make great pizzas though. I haven't used a DoJo but I think I'd prefer the classic way of cooking pizzas with lid on and top vent open. I also like the idea of being able to shut down the vents when you're done cooking  Kamados can make great pizzas with just a good pizza stone and deflectors. Either way it seems cool, I wouldn't buy it but I'm sure those who buy it will like it. 

I totally have to agree with several things in this thread. Not knocking the DJ, just not for me at this time.

I use CGS’s adjustable rig to raise up the stone high into the dome. We get fantastic pizzas in the 550° range.

The DJ gets hotter I suppose which is better and faster in pizza making culture. We have pizza once a week and that $2.00 charcoal could add up fast. When the upgrade comes out with a way to choke it down/off I’ll buy it. The Joetisserie hit it out the park the first time for me.

This is a great addition if you plan on cranking out a lot of pizzas but for a couple of pies, I think it is a bit of overkill. The big myth is that you need a screaming hot temp for pizza. True if you are making Neapolitan but for NY and regular pizza styles, 550-600 degrees is the sweet spot. Dough hydration has a lot to do with cook temp. Most franchise pizza joint ovens run around 600 degrees.

Cranking a cooker up to 750 degrees with a typical dough recipe will guarantee a burned bottom before a cooked middle.