TheMerlin486

New Member from Rip Off Britain ;-)

Since joining last week Ive spent a lot of time doing research taking into account the limited options we have in the UK for known name Kamado solutions. If you have an unlimited budget in the UK sure, then that's not a problem, sourcing all those attractive accessories that take the KJ range to the next level, it just leaves a bitter taste knowing the Joe-Tisserie is circa $300 in USA and £350 in the UK. 

That's of course if you can find stock of those accessories. The Pizza Porta is not even available in the UK. If i went for the KJ it would be like owning

Taking into account the limited range of KJ accessories available in the UK and the ridiculous pricing when you can find them, Ive decided to opt for something that will hopefully do the job without having to break the bank and with the associated savings home-develop innovations and ideas to expand the cooking methods accordingly. All good fun!

So in that vein, Ive decided to opt for the Wild Goose 18

Currently £549 minus £20 Newsletter Signup so £529 delivered. ($689)

4 months Paypal interest free credit as well

Welcome, glad to have you and your Wild Goose 18  with us. I had never heard of a Wild Goose 18 kamado  so I looked one up on the net.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

Very interesting kamado, it looks to me, (and I don't own a KJ or cook on one), very much like a KJ classic design made with maybe Auplex components. The rack they show sure looks to me, to be,  identical to a KJ divide and conquer complete with the split half stone deflectors. The hinge also looks like a KJ Design. there are just some slight, mostly cosmetic, differences in the side tables, and the top vent, and of course the badging logo.  After taking a second and third look at it,  I am thinking you may have  bought an actual, real deal,  older model  KJ classic, marketed  under a different name. What ever it's origin turns out to be,  that looks to be an excellent kamado and a good purchase.  IMO, that is one fine kamado, RipOff Britain or not. I am interested to see what guys who cook on  a KJ say about it.

That does look like a KJ with a different paint job. That greenhouse website Keeper posted a link to seems to sell KJ accessories for use with the goose.  I have no clue if the pricing is good or not as I know nothing about pounds or euros or whatever. 

A quick search reveals @Jon J was inquiring about this in a previous thread. See below.

It appears I misspoke. Appears as though KJ accessories will not fit the goose per the FAQs on that greenhouse website.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

kind of lump wood charcoal?

A. It does not come with Lump wood. A good quality lump wood charcoal is needed. we have hope to have some in stock soon.

Q. Can you fit any of the Kamado Joe accessories such as the cast iron half moon grate to this model?

A. No it is not possible to use Kamado Joe flexible cooking rack accessories like the Half moon cast iron griddle on a wild goose. The Wild goose has a differently designed rack and KJ accessories will not fit it.

Q. Can the wild goose kamado be left outdoors over the winter? Will the cold weather cause the ceramic to crack?

A. Yes, the BBQ can be left outside it might be an idea to get a cover just for weather like snow or rain. The cold will not affect the ceramic. I hope that helps.

29 minutes ago, prowe said:

Q. Can you fit any of the Kamado Joe accessories such as the cast iron half moon grate to this model?

A. No it is not possible to use Kamado Joe flexible cooking rack accessories like the Half moon cast iron griddle on a wild goose. The Wild goose has a differently designed rack and KJ accessories will not fit it.

Interesting, as the racks looks to be identical. Maybe small differences the wont allow the parts to fit. However,  I am thinking the case and internal components are authentic KJ, so even If the two racks are different, I would bet, without evidence however, that a stock KJ Divide and Conquer would fit and would also then accept all of the accessories designed for it. as long as the diameter of the case and the surface of the fire box / ring are equal, I can't see what the issue would be, but again, just my two cents and reasonable suspicion.  This is an interesting mystery:)

20 hours ago, prowe said:

It appears I misspoke. Appears as though KJ accessories will not fit the goose per the FAQs on that greenhouse website.

I found the user guide in PDF format here which has some good info.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a71bb1_1c3eccc327114c3abd706fd52e24dcb8.pdf

Also a good close up picture of the racking design

20 hours ago, prowe said:

pag1.png

pag2.png

pag3.png

On 3/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, prowe said:

Looking at the two different models, i can barely see any difference between the two. Makes me wonder if it's more just a question of The GreenHouse People having to keep Kamado Joe accessories unsupported for 3rd party makes. I am also wondering if the JoeTisserie would fit the Goose?

I see The GreenHouse People have an event (UK) shortly on April 6th showcasing KJ products. Too far from me sadly but a good opportunity for anyone in the UK thinking of making the investment in the KJ range and sounds like an even better opportunity to see the Accessories and Chefs' in action.

https://www.kamadoevents.com/

goose1.png

kamadojoe1.png