TheMerlin486

New Member from Rip Off Britain ;-)

Is that the same Aldi grocery store that we have here in the states?

i knew they sold other stuff such as patio furniture and such... similar to kroger, but did not know they were hawking kamados too

interesting

2 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Here in the states they were selling the Char-Broil Kamander last year.

Scott

no kidding?!

shows you how often I go into one... my lovely likes it and my kids shop there almost exclusively...

i think i've been in one maybe 2x

i'll have to check it out...

On 3/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome, glad to have you and your Wild Goose 18  with us. I had never heard of a Wild Goose 18 kamado  so I looked one up on the net.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

Very interesting kamado, it looks to me, (and I don't own a KJ or cook on one), very much like a KJ classic design made with maybe Auplex components. The rack they show sure looks to me, to be,  identical to a KJ divide and conquer complete with the split half stone deflectors. The hinge also looks like a KJ Design. there are just some slight, mostly cosmetic, differences in the side tables, and the top vent, and of course the badging logo.  After taking a second and third look at it,  I am thinking you may have  bought an actual, real deal,  older model  KJ classic, marketed  under a different name. What ever it's origin turns out to be,  that looks to be an excellent kamado and a good purchase.  IMO, that is one fine kamado, RipOff Britain or not. I am interested to see what guys who cook on  a KJ say about it.

Almost wonder if they started as a KJ dealer and then asked KJ to make them a private branded product for the British market only.  The older design is proven and probably still easily made and thus profitable for them.

I just visited their website and all the accessories look to be KJ and they also sell KJ grills.  If I lived in the UK and I was going to purchase the KJ classic I would go with this grill because of the color. The only thing i don't like about my KJJ is the red color not my favorite, this gray color is perfect and I wish KJ still made them in black.

Scott

P.S. They have a Jr Kamado grill too!

Edited by Scott Roberts

@TheMerlin486 I've been looking at both the Kamado's mentioned here, the Wild Goose 18, and the Aldi one. The Aldi one, according to their website, is a 16" grill, not a 21", so whilst it is cheaper, it's also smaller. What is drawing me to the Wild Goose one is that it'd fit some of the KJ accessories (plus it comes with lots too). But having said that, the price of Aldi's is almost too good to pass on.

MarkG, there have been numerous reports of both transit/courier damage and perhaps more worrying manufacture process enamel chips. Aldi policy is to replace however the majority of this FB user group dedicated to the Aldi Kamado who ordered on or around release date (28th April) are still awaiting delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/407489356750953/

https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/540-aldi-kamado/page/5/#comments

The Aldi 3 year no quibble warranty should also be taken into consideration but i agree, the Goose is an outstanding deal for the size and as you say, the accessories included you have the perfect solution.

@TheMerlin486 Thanks for posting those links. I ordered mine on the 3rd, no news on delivery yet. I’m quite surprised how many issue people are having, if mine has anything I’d consider sending it back and getting the Goose instead, rather than a replacement.

On the FB Group one of the new members today reported that when she decided to go ahead and order, the Aldi link was showing as Sold Out. Some 20 minutes later on a revisit, it was back on-sale again. Worries me if it does turn up finally and damaged whether they will have ample enough replacements if needed. There have been several instances of partial refunds for cosmetic damage (up to £100) and more importantly the 3 year warranty is left intact. The courier can be contacted via this number @MarkG

01724 897360‬

If it all goes tits up, i will have to go for the Goose again.

@TheMerlin486 I am a little concerned. Mine is coming tomorrow, had the call from the courier today. However, the Goose's price saving ends today so I'm tempted to order it and just cancel it if the Aldi one is fine. The Goose is £555 delivered today (£25 for delivery but you get £20 off by signing up to the newsletter). Not sure if it'll go back up to its £599 price or £999 price, or if it's just a sales tactic to encourage buying. At £999 it's a no-brainier to go KJ, so I can't see that happening.

@TheMerlin486 Does that sway you back to it or are you sticking with Aldi? Mines due in a couple hours.

That was a pic I posted in from someone in the Wild Goose FB group ;)  Was from last year the post if I remember right!