TheMerlin486

New Member from Rip Off Britain ;-)

Couriers have indicated that there is a large consignment arriving at their depot for my area, today or tomorrow, failing any development, i will go back to the Goose.

btw, it has been sort of confirmed that the Aldi kamado is broadly the same as "thebastard" so it is with much elation that buyers of the Aldi/La Hacienda solution may just have found a 3rd party rotisserie solution.

https://www.vuurenrook.nl/en/spit-on-fire-kamado-rotisserie-ring.html

Good price considering opinion that the UK Joetisserie is extortion.

Here's a close up of the damage to mine. Red flags screaming at me here so it's going back.

Be curious to know anyone's experienced opinion this kind of damage. Looks like a bodged job that was attempted to be covered up.

kamado-crack-2.jpg

Mark, FWIW, I think you’re doing exactly the right thing sending it back. That will fail at some point and even if it’s still under warranty returning it will be a pain and you may well not be able to get a like for like replacement.

So what’s the plan now? Try again with the Aldi? Go for a goose? Something else??

@&roid Yeah I think so, unless they can offer me substantially more than £50 cash back.

Aldi have sold out so that is a no go. The Goose looks great, £555 delivered. I've also just seen a KJ classic I with the D&C system and updated Firebox for £869 delivered, so for ~£300 more you get the lifetime KJ warranty, over the 1 year with the Goose.

Now I don't know!

Decisions, decisions!

the KJ lifetime warranty is only on the ceramic parts (ie the firebox and the walls of the cooker). Everything else is on shorter times - metal parts 5 years, deflectors 3 years, thermometer 1, etc. 

I suppose theres a theoretical risk that the main walls might fail might fail but I haven’t read much about that happening to anyone. 

Do we know what a new firebox costs for a Joe? Be surprised if it was more than £300 so even if the worst happened and you experienced a cracked box in the goose you probably wouldn’t be out of pocket. Might be worth a call to KJ UK to see what they would charge you for a new one? 

Either way, you’ll be getting a great cooker which I’m sure you’ll love. 

If it were me right now, after the disappointment of the damaged Aldi one, I’d be so impatient I’d be ordering the one with the fastest delivery but I’m a bit of a five year old when it comes to new toys!

@&roid Absolutely, I'd be buying once that can come ASAP, both the ones I mention say they can come the next day of ordering!

Just had this from Aldi: They just told me I can test the Kamado, and if there are no issues, I can continue using it with a partial refund of £50. If there is an issue because of it within those 3 years, they will refund the rest to the full amount.

Just to add another curve ball!

My 2p-worth (not that you asked for it!): that damage to the outside of the Aldi Kamado looks risky. Rain will get in and I’d be worried that with some weathering it would fail. 

Now the offer from Aldi does seem fairly low risk but I’d be worried that if it did fail, even a full refund might not put you back in the position you are now. What if it died in a couple of years and all the wild goose units are gone? What if the KJs are even more expensive? In the three years since I got my big joe it’s gone up in price over 50%... so even if you get all the cash back you might struggle to get yourself back into Kamado cooking without even more outlay. 

Read a great quote this morning on a pizza making forum I’ve started lurking on: buy the right quality first time, pay up front and cry once...

1 hour ago, &roid said:

My 2p-worth (not that you asked for it!): that damage to the outside of the Aldi Kamado looks risky. Rain will get in and I’d be worried that with some weathering it would fail. 

Now the offer from Aldi does seem fairly low risk but I’d be worried that if it did fail, even a full refund might not put you back in the position you are now. What if it died in a couple of years and all the wild goose units are gone? What if the KJs are even more expensive? In the three years since I got my big joe it’s gone up in price over 50%... so even if you get all the cash back you might struggle to get yourself back into Kamado cooking without even more outlay. 

Read a great quote this morning on a pizza making forum I’ve started lurking on: buy the right quality first time, pay up front and cry once...

Yeah I've read that saying on here too! Buy once, cry once. That's why I went cheap first to see if I even like Kamado cooking, but that hasn't paid off so well. It's just a big jump to go from £350 to £869 to then not like it (I'm doubtful that is the case, though). I'd like to think I'd be using it in the winters too when possible so not just a summer toy.

Regarding the Aldi damage, I'd probably look to cover it up with some high heat ceramic coating if I kept it, but I'd first need to ask Aldi if that would avoid warranty, because that would be an easy way to void the warranty for them.

Little update...

I've pushed them to £75 off. Covering the crack with ceramic paint will not affect warranty. They said it's all in my notes so it's all in writing. I can also use it for 60 days with a no-quibble refund if I have a change of mind, that's standard apparently, so anyone with damaged ones can test it out. I said I'll let them know next week if I'll keep it.

@ndg_2000 The Louisiana is £599, plus a membership fee (£15 i think), so it's pretty much double.

54 minutes ago, MarkG said:

@ndg_2000 The Louisiana is £599, plus a membership fee (£15 i think), so it's pretty much double.

Hi Mark 

IMG_20190224_121232.thumb.jpg.a73b3e0c0eeeae098c9b28aaf842aedf.jpg

It's £539 +joining fee (£15) but still cheaper than kamado Joe Classic I saw in homebase for £899 and  it is larger.

That aside it does look like Aldi (La Hacienda) are trying to meet you in the middle and will look after you on the warranty. 

You could fill the chip with

https://shop.vitcas.com/heat-resistant-silicone-sealant-310ml-vitcas-15-p-asp.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8e7mBRBsEiwAPVxxiI0FYCmNMESM08U-qBw6sEw0tywbri24J5WlBq7NQ5r9K25_gufBgRoCO5AQAvD_BwE

Then apply your paint over the top just a suggestion. 

@ndg_2000 Interesting, it's £599 on the site, that does include delivery though.

Yeah, both La Hacienda and Aldi must know something has gone wrong somewhere, it's good that they are both being helpful in the situation rather than fobbing everyone off, Aldi in particular being very flexible.

It's probably 599 to cover delivery I picked mine up from store so that's where the difference is. 

Have a look at the vitcas stuff you may have to moderate the temp a bit for searing and pizza but it looks like a good high temp filler/sealer/glue for the chip in your Kamado. Also the outside temperature of your kamado is going to be lower than what's inside. Hope this helps.