ckreef

Steak Shakshuka on the Primo Oval Jr

Shakshuka is basically eggs poached in a tomato sauce. I doubt you could ever find 2 identical recipes on the web. Shakshuka is more a general concept not a specific recipe. If you want to try it just find a recipe that sounds right for your tastes and go with it. I found one to try then added some steak to it because steak and eggs just work together. 

I previously did a high heat, fast sear on a few large chunks of NY strip steak. Got the outside seared a little bit but kept the inside rare since it will get some more cooking time in the end. 

shakA.thumb.jpg.3429485a25fee4e0bd23dc94b57ff489.jpg

The basic ingredients. 

shakB.thumb.jpg.99f3e0616d007b842f059de181704bad.jpg

I wanted to roast the garlic and tomatoes. I fired the Oval Jr up and let it get heat soaked at 500*. Here they are prepped for roasting. 

shakC.thumb.jpg.4a97f273078778fb4758adff80e5cb0a.jpg

shakD.thumb.jpg.76d543a019410266b712635b73d4691f.jpg

40 minutes later I pulled the tomatoes. I kept the garlic on for an additional 15 minutes. I should have pulled it when I pulled the tomatoes. 

shakE.thumb.jpg.3c2b2265b4eb41e28992024a37a9c3bf.jpg

shakF.thumb.jpg.b593b06a2a07d17c83c0c55a396a8af3.jpg

@shuley this next section is for you and a few other Guru's who had that Ah Ha! Light bulb goes off in your head moment - you know the thread I'm talking about. 

So the Oval Jr has a raging fire and is sitting at 500*. What I now need is a small fire at 350*. Most people's brain tells then to close the vents down to a sliver and open the dome to let some heat out but that procedure doesn't really work to good. By closing both vents to a sliver it will get you a smaller fire but you are keeping all the heat trapped in the kamado. By opening the dome you are letting heat out but you're also letting oxygen in which keeps feeding the fire. 

Let me suggest an alternative. Bottom vent at just a sliver. What you would need for a 350* fire or a bit less. Keep the dome shut the entire time but fully open the top vent. The open top vent allows the heat to escape and the sliver of the bottom vent will shut the coals down but keeping enough oxygen for your new target temperature. Now just be patient. Go inside like I did and prep the rest of the meal. One hour later I went from a raging 500* fire to a small 360* fire. Close enough time to move on. 

I started by softening some onions for a while with a bit of olive oil. 

shakG.thumb.jpg.fbeab69c19345effe725c33201d86490.jpg

I added the spices and the pastes and cooked that for a few minutes. 

shakH.thumb.jpg.b780cbc8dccf906693317747731ab945.jpg

shakI.thumb.jpg.30351934ff6b69ab61e01db85e8c86ff.jpg

Added the peppers and softened them for a while. I then added the chopped up roasted tomatoes and garlic along with a few other raw tomatoes. I cooked that down for a while until I had a md thick sauce. 

shakJ.thumb.jpg.ecb06a52dfdb1250608066744188fb5f.jpg

shakK.thumb.jpg.369cc8f2b9f77b7e5fd3d162f0df38ba.jpg

shakL.thumb.jpg.a088e2dfe02444dd73721b525ba10dea.jpg

I then added the steak. I used a spoon to make some wells in the sauce and added the eggs. I covered it and back on. After a few minutes I added some blue cheese. 

shakM.thumb.jpg.66331879316fc795ccf216edfbd6df79.jpg

shakN.thumb.jpg.62df08e0f30eeaf3290a702462b6c747.jpg

shakO.thumb.jpg.3886c1aebdec82a8a095f127cf28b524.jpg

A couple more minutes and this is what you get. Looks like a mess but it sure taste good. You do want to pull it a minute or two early. By the time you get it inside and serve it those eggs will keep cooking a bit more. 

shakP.thumb.jpg.5cddfd43028ff9573d3ae58b21832c03.jpg

shakQ.thumb.jpg.a14eb7a1501bcde1d86f5eac468caa0d.jpg

It's a sort of long cook but a fun and tasty one none the less. Give it a try one day. 

Thanks to you I can cool down my KK so much faster if I overshoot my target temp. Always appreciated. 

And while I have never had shakshuka officially, I have had eggs in purgatory which appear to be similar.  I loved them.  

29 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

OK, so now I’m starting to really get annoyed with you constantly making me feel Kamado challenged.  First the getting it to temp faster tip, now the cooling it faster tip.  JUST STOP SHOWING OFF!!!

;-)

that looks fantastic!

Just trying to help ;)

When you think about it both those tips are the same concept just opposite if that makes any sense..... 

23 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

No steak, but chorizo sausage added!

Scott

eggs-in-tomato-sauce-copy.thumb.jpg.157dbbbace153fafadcb14d0c9cb71d4.jpg

That looks fantastic. 

This was the second time I've made it. I Really wanted to do it in the WFO but the weather wasn't cooperating and I had already gathered up all the ingrefients. No worries the kamados are on my covered porch so any weather works for them. 

4 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

I’m just giving you a hard time.  It really does make sense.

I knew you were just giving me a hard time. It actually got a good chuckle out of me. 

Hopefully somebody learned something - I tried anyway. 

There are a few concepts in running a kamado that's counter intuitive to what your brain tells you. It took me a while to get past that. 

27 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I knew you were just giving me a hard time. It actually got a good chuckle out of me. 

Hopefully somebody learned something - I tried anyway. 

There are a few concepts in running a kamado that's counter intuitive to what your brain tells you. It took me a while to get past that. 

It really is counterintuitive.  That again!

17 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Yup, making that for sure , brother. Wow that looks so good, just wonderful, warm, and hearty. 

It's a fun cook. I probably made it harder than it needed to be but I had fun with it and was rewarded with a tasty dinner. 

That looks so so so good!  The steak adder definitely takes it over the top. 

I have been wanting to try that dish since you mentioned it recently.  

It’s on the shortlist.... Might be a work cook. Don’t think the family would be interested in this one.